mtbr member
    Aug 2007

improving seal on stages powermeter

my powermeter seems to leak a bit, so i'm drying it out and thinking about how to add an additional seal to keep water away from the crappy o-ring seal on the unit. I'm thinking a length of innertube around the crank arm or some silicone. Any insights?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    that sucks but maybe something simple like electrical tape?

also, let those guys know. I've pinged them a few times on things (firmware related) and they're SUPER responsive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    OOPS!!

When i installed the new door and o ring i did not see the old o ring and stuck a new one on top

User error!

never mind

mtbr member

What I do on my Powertap hub is to put sta-lube marine grease around the rubber seals of the Powertap battery compartment. It makes sure that the water will stay out.

Search results for "SL3120" | CRC Industries

You could do the same thing with your Stages powermeter also.

FasCat Coaching
    Jro,
    Give Stages a call, if its leaking they will take good care of you (or your shop that you bought it from can call them). Alternatively, a light coating of grease on that battery door can be really helpful. I had a unit fail due to water and they've replaced it.

FWIW, I've seen them take every single unit and submerge them in a tub with a special cover that blows air into the units to check for leaks. But o-rings & plastic fittings aren't always perfect...
    FasCat Coaching
    Personalized Coaching for All Cyclists

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sprocketjockey9 View Post
    Jro,
    Alternatively, a light coating of grease on that battery door can be really helpful
    Yes, just make sure it's a non-petroleum based grease for the o-rings. A petroleum based grease can cause the nitrile o-ring to expand, which can seize the door shut.

mtbr member
    I had mine leak after a wet ride and washing the bike afterwards (non-pressurized hose) and they literally overnighted a new crank arm no questions asked. They said it should withstand creek crossings, heavy rain, etc. I was AMAZED at the service they provide. Got a real person on the phone on second ring, super nice guy, crank in the mail the next afternoon. I only missed one ride with power.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Glad to hear this. My cover had a tab break, but I can still open and close. Garmin wouldn't recognize it, changed batter and then it worked. Next ride it wouldn't recognize it again. Changed the battery and another tab on the cover broke and small droplets of water inside. I have sprayed with hose to clean bike 3 times and have done two short creek crossings with my mtb with the Stages. Did bluetooth firmware update and we'll see if it works. Will call Stages first thing Monday am for new cover. I hope this gets resolved. My SRMs (road and MTB) and Quarq (CX bike )work just fine.

mtbr member

I can fully support the prior assertions that Stages has outstanding support. After a short ride home in the rain, mine started draining the batteries in a week or less. After going through a few I contacted support, sent photos, and they pre-shipped a replacement.

For those of us who don't do this for a living, Stages is the best. Besides being the most affordable. it's as technologically advanced as any other model, the lightest by a wide margin, and utterly simple. The iPhone app is such a user-friendly way to manage the device. By the way it outputs cadence via ANT+ too.

mtbr member

I've read a few things about that happening - the Stages power meter draining batteries every few days:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/view...013&t=12953022

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm in my second replacement due to battery drain. Once this fails again I can withdraw from the purchase according to local laws. And I'm quite certain this will happen. Stages has a good support. Indeed. But what it is good if the product is not reliable. Battery drain has been an issue ever since the product hit the shelves. They tried to solve it by improving the the seal or updating the firmware. however, battery drain seems to be caused by various reasons. Definitely a "do not buy" recommendation from my side.

mtbr member
    One thing I've learned from working in IT: if the device is working well, it's not always a good idea to apply the latest firmware updates. That goes for my Garmin 510 as well. Each time a firmware update is performed you risk minor or major corruption to the file system. In the Garmin's case it's old-school DOS FAT16, which is relatively volatile. I don't know what the Stages's deal is, but the replacement has been working fine for the past 3 weeks and I have no plans to apply new firmware updates like I'd done twice in the past. The indication that it's leaving the power meter transmitting while not in use, leading to battery drain, is a clue to a software bug rather than water damage, or some combination of the two.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    There are so many theories out there on what causes this battery drain ... Stages support gave different explanations (my guess is they don't have clue) with each replacement crank.

mtbr member

There are quite a few posts about the battery issue here too:

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=93866

It's strange, especially when you read about people having no problems from new until they change the battery for the first time, and then the battery draining over and over after that. Or it working fine until a single ride in the rain followed by the battery going flat afterwards.