Pauly
    Dec 2005

I'm going to put 27.5" wheels on a 26" bike!

Please discuss, flame if yee must.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Not going to work.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I think this is what you're looking for?: 47 pages of 27.5 compatible 26ers and discussion.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/my-...rs-376656.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    It would be best to go out and buy a dedicated 27.5 bike

Pauly
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gNyD View Post
    Not going to work.
    I think you are right. My bad.

Pauly
    Dec 2005
    I think I will do that. It just won't work on a 26" bike. I mean the handling would be so bad that I would probably just fall over in the turns. The frame geometry is all wrong.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Been done plenty of times before. Not sure what all the hoopla is about. Just make sure your frame is compatible first. Good luck.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    Been done plenty of times before. Not sure what all the hoopla is about. Just make sure your frame is compatible first. Good luck.
    Exactly. I have a hardtail built for 26". I've been running 650b/27.5 in it for over a year now with no issues. Works great, I just avoid mud with the reduced tire clearance. Running a 26" fox 100mm float and 2.25 racing ralphs front and rear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Depending on which frame you have, your 26" frame may work with little or no drawbacks. There will always be those who say it won't work, the geometry will be messed up, the bb will be too high, etc, and that may be true on some bikes, the ones I converted, SC Blur XCc and Bianchi DISS, only made a great bike better.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'm tempted to try it on mine.

A teammate of mine did it to his. He's a little smaller than me (I'm 5'8") and couldn't find a 29er he could set up to his liking. Last I heard, he was very happy with the setup.

There's buttloads of clearance in a lot of 26" frames and forks. You only need 3/4" more, give or take.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I put a 650b on the front of my 26" hardtail that I use in california and it completely changed the ride for the better. I didnt want to spend the $ on the rear unless I was 100% sure it would fit. It is difficult to tell from just eyeballing things.

Coming back home to ride my 29ers was a huge shift. The 29ers were not nearly as maneuverable. It took about 5 rides to get used to the 29er again

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I had to jump into this thread as I'm considering doing the same thing. I ride a Felt Q720 2011 with a RockShox TK fork. I'd like to experiment in putting 650B wheels on this bike. I'm mostly curious to know how much additional clearance is needed to the bike frame and fork. I know every frame is different so their cannot be one correct answer but generally speaking.....I've heard 3/4 of an inch on average depending on what kind of tires are being used/considered....I know there are alot of variables when considering it...but again generally speaking. 3/4 of an inch doesn't sound like enough when simply comparing wheels sizes. I did measure from the top of my low profile 26 tire to the bottom of the fork and have well over 3/4 of an inch of clearance. I also measured the back tire to the frame and have over 3/4 clearance there as well. Any insight from who has already attempted this would be great.

Wrench
    I did it with my SC Blur XCc. It worked fantastically. Go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauly F View Post
    Please discuss, flame if yee must.

www.EpicCyclist.com
    massive nerding on that subject in the 650b thread

Grip it and rip it.
    Troll?
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

VIP
    Jun 2006
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It will work well for many bikes. Some bikes have short chainstays, hence the rear will not work. The front wheel can almost always be made to work depending on the fork you use.

I converted an old Gary Fisher Tassajara to a 69er (29 inch front wheel and 26 inch rear). I ran it as a SS fully rigid bike and it worked great. It climbed and descended very well. It rode much better than the stock set up (all 26 inch with a crappy suspension fork).

It's your bike and you know it best. Experiment with different wheel sizes if you can. Doing a conversion like this is a great way to experiment with a new wheel size without spending a bunch of money on a new bike. That's why I did it.

Good luck...