mtbr member

Ikon 2.35 vs. Nobby Nic 2.25 vs. RaRa 2.35

I like a grippy front tire and I admittedly over tire on race day on the front end of my bike. I'm working my way down to faster and lighter, but still like some beef up there.
    I'm deciding between tires:
    Currently have:
    Nobby Nic 2.25 Evo/Snakeskin Model (690 grams) - It's nice. No real complaints but not an ideal race tire. Does the heavier Ikon roll better?
    Maxxis Ikon 2.35 (3C/EXO) (760 grams)
    Also considering the Racing Ralph in 2.35 but am a little apprehensive due to it not being a snakeskin option but at 625 grams is very enticing. I run a Racing Ralph 2.25 snakeskin/tlr in the back and am very happy with it as a rear tire.

I'm open to some other suggestions as well but I do like a big front tire...

nya
    mtbr member
    I usually don't have the need for snakeskin in front, unlike rear tire. So from your options I would say RaR is the best racing tire.
    XCO results, races, riders etc http://mtbcrosscountry.com

gearing ratios calculator http://gears.mtbcrosscountry.com

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdan View Post
    I like a grippy front tire and I admittedly over tire on race day on the front end of my bike. I'm working my way down to faster and lighter, but still like some beef up there.
    I'm deciding between tires:
    Currently have:
    Nobby Nic 2.25 Evo/Snakeskin Model (690 grams) - It's nice. No real complaints but not an ideal race tire. Does the heavier Ikon roll better?
    Maxxis Ikon 2.35 (3C/EXO) (760 grams)
    Also considering the Racing Ralph in 2.35 but am a little apprehensive due to it not being a snakeskin option but at 625 grams is very enticing. I run a Racing Ralph 2.25 snakeskin/tlr in the back and am very happy with it as a rear tire.

I'm open to some other suggestions as well but I do like a big front tire...
    Get the non EXO version of the Ikon 2.35 for up front. Mine weighs 682g and has been sweet for 7 months now. The non EXO is more compliant and supple which provides excellent grip and assurance up front for confident cornering while still rolling fast. That being said, it's a pretty aggressive XC tire that might border on the "over-tire" side of the equation for many XC racers.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'd be looking at the Rocket Ron up front. Great traction, more than RaRa or Ikon IMO, and way better rolling resistance than the NoNi. I just put a 2.35 RoRo w/snakeskin on my front for a race with some pretty technical, blazing fast, rocky downhills, and it weighed in at 609g (a little disappointing as the box says 575g). It's also freakin' huge!
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

pk1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    yes Ron is a great tread for that purpose, in the mid-ground between nic and ralph for grip but about as fast as ralph.
    however as always, there is a downside. even with the snakeskin it will be less durable and more puncture prone. if its dry and rocky i'd go ralph and snakeskin only necessary if its really nasty rocks, if its more soft dirt i'd go ron

mtbr member
    I really disliked the Nobby Nic this Sunday in a rainy race filled with rocks at angles. It slid all over the place and I missed the volume of my trail tire, a 2.4 Ardent.
    So, I'm going with the 2.35 Ikon. In the perfect world we'd all have wheels and tires for rainy days, for dry days, for hero dirt days and for whatever we feel like days, but that would take serious commitment. I think the 2.35 Ikon will do the job in a lot of conditions well enough to keep me rolling fast enough on hard pack and on wet rocks and roots.
    Thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    I'd be looking at the Rocket Ron up front. Great traction, more than RaRa or Ikon IMO, and way better rolling resistance than the NoNi. I just put a 2.35 RoRo w/snakeskin on my front for a race with some pretty technical, blazing fast, rocky downhills, and it weighed in at 609g (a little disappointing as the box says 575g). It's also freakin' huge!
    According to Schwalbe's website, that tire doesn't exist for a 29er...
    Rocket Ron HS 438 | Schwalbe North America

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Re: Ikon 2.35 vs. Nobby Nic 2.25 vs. RaRa 2.35

According to Schwalbe's website, that tire doesn't exist for a 29er...
    Rocket Ron HS 438 | Schwalbe North America
    Oh, you're running a 29er. I thought that fad had died out. Sorry. actually I'm still on a 26er and I just didn't notice that you had said 29er... a consequence of reading on my phone...

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    Oh, you're running a 29er. I thought that fad had died out. Sorry. actually I'm still on a 26er and I just didn't notice that you had said 29er... a consequence of reading on my phone...

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2
    I probably didn't write 29er. I guess I figured because I was listing fast tires in a racing sub-forum that it would be assumed I wouldn't be talking about a slow 26 inch wheeled bike.

mtbr member
    Anyway, I mounted up the Ikon 2.35 tonight. One of the easiest tubeless mountings I've ever done.
    By all appearances it will be exactly the tire I want up there. Light enough (just over 700 grams), big volume for low pressure and easy rolling over angled roots and more aggressive side knobs. It's patterned a bit like the Ardent with knobs which are half the size (in depth and width) and there are twice as many of them. I love the 2.4 Ardent as a trail tire so I think this should keep me pretty happy on days where the goal is to ride fast, but with some grip when you need it.
    I went with the heavier exo casing simply because that's just what I could get my hands on, but I can see how this tire would be nice as a do everything trail tire too. For now though, I'll keep over tiring a bit.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I probably didn't write 29er. I guess I figured because I was listing fast tires in a racing sub-forum that it would be assumed I wouldn't be talking about a slow 26 inch wheeled bike.
    haha, I think it's funny, but my bike is a little peeved.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    dirtdan - How have you liked the Ikon's? Thinking of getting one myself.

Does anyone have measurements for Ikon 2.35 vs RaRa 2.35?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    dirtdan - How have you liked the Ikon's? Thinking of getting one myself.

Does anyone have measurements for Ikon 2.35 vs RaRa 2.35?
    I would like to know as well.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by law2spam View Post
    I would like to know as well.
    Maxxis Ikon 2.35

Formerly of Kent
    How does the Ikon compare to, say, a Rocket Ron 2.25 SS?

I'm looking for a fast, grippy front tire for riding out west (CO, UT, CA). Will be mounted on "old", 19mm internal ENVE rims.

mtbr member
    Its hard to tell in pictures, but is the RoRo really grippier than RaRa? It doesn't look like it would be. Is it the consensus that RaRa isn't a good front tire?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    interested in any experience RE Ikon vs Nobby Nic as a front tire. I do not trust my front Ikon in fast corners

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Devincicx View Post
    interested in any experience RE Ikon vs Nobby Nic as a front tire. I do not trust my front Ikon in fast corners
    Are you talking about the 2.35 Ikon?

mtbr member
    I like the NoNo up front. The knobs are a lot deeper than on the Ikon. I've read some people say its too squirmy, but not for me. Might depend on which compound you have as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    no im refering to the 2.2 Ikons

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Devincicx View Post
    no im refering to the 2.2 Ikons
    Ah...

The 2.25 Nic will provide better front end handling than the 2.2 Ikon, IMO, if you are looking for a little more bite up front.

The 2.35 Ikon is a very aggressive tire and perfect for the front end as well if you were looking for some more volume up there to pair with your a rear 2.2 Ikon. It's got the same center knobs as your 2.2 Ikon, but the side lugs are taller and much more aggressive. Great front tire IMO if you're looking for more trust in fast corners.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    the problem with the non exo Ikon is , is does not have 3c. the 3c is a huge plus on wet rocks/roots.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    the problem with the non exo Ikon is , is does not have 3c. the 3c is a huge plus on wet rocks/roots.
    My non exo ikons are 3c. You can get the tire in dual compound also. Its right on the website...

Ikon | Maxxis USA

mtbr member

Ikon 2.35 vs. Nobby Nic 2.25 vs. RaRa 2.35

I just got a pair of Ikon 3C tubeless EXO tires and I may never put my RRs back on...these tires are great on hardpack.