Bro
    Where I do my thinking

I have popped my racing cherry....

So yea... Today was my first ever race. It was the Peavine Mountain Rager in Reno... I was racing in Men's C Class for the XC course (for Nevada, of course -- it's a collegiate race). And it kicked my ass.

I washed out within the first mile, so I lost a lot of spots there. And then I gassed out, telling myself it was a race and that I needed to stay in front. I managed to break a jersey that was on loan to me, too. And then I dabbled a lot, because I was pushing too hard.... I ended up with a time of an hour, on a course that would normally take me around forty-fifty minutes. Oh, and I was on a 26" singlespeed with a blown-out fork, while everyone else was on full-squish 2x10 29ers.... But it was hella cool.

Time for a quick spin on the road tomorrow morning, and then planning for the next race.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Racing is fun.
    Sometimes when everything is going right you don't feel a thing. Other times it can hurt, but the memory of the pain fades quickly and soon enough,you'll want to do it again..
    In 2009 I raced my age group on my SS (usually rigid). The past two years I've been racing the SS class, but peer pressure will probably having me racing my age group again next year. I could send you a rigid fork that *probably* won't fail so you won't have to worry about your blown out fork.

Bro Mountainbiker
    You gotta start somewhere. Kick some ass next time and get that W
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    could send you a rigid fork that *probably* won't fail so you won't have to worry about your blown out fork.
    Yea.... This is one of those courses where squishiness is good. There were only two or three other 26" hardtails in the field, and one had to drop because of a nagging injury and one had to run the rest of the course because her derailleur got all messed up. So I guess I was one of the only 26" hardtails to even finish the race. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the fork. Obviously a new one is necessary, but I've noticed a clicking sound coming from the front end of the bike while pulling up on the bar, so I'm thinking a bar and stem replacement would be a better idea for the money at the moment.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    Yea.... This is one of those courses where squishiness is good. There were only two or three other 26" hardtails in the field, and one had to drop because of a nagging injury and one had to run the rest of the course because her derailleur got all messed up. So I guess I was one of the only 26" hardtails to even finish the race. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the fork. Obviously a new one is necessary, but I've noticed a clicking sound coming from the front end of the bike while pulling up on the bar, so I'm thinking a bar and stem replacement would be a better idea for the money at the moment.
    That click could be your headset...or not.
    You should see if your LBS has a cheap take off 26" rigid for lying around (if not you can get one for real cheap), and try something like a WTB Mutanraptor 2.4 (favorite 26" tire of all time). Fast rolling, high volume, good in just about eveything and not too heavy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Was this the UNR race? If you are new to racing in the area, check out the Reno Wheelmen. They do a Twilight series in the spring up on Peavine and other local areas. They also have a weeknight group ride too. I think it was Tuesdays. The first couple races can be a mess, but good for you for trying it out.

I used to race a 26in singlespeed....I am now one of those 29er squish guys. If your front is clicking, it is probably your headset.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    It was the UNR race. It was a great time. I'm hoping to race next weekend, but that depends on how quickly I can source replacement parts. I checked the bar and stem and there are no visible cracks, so I'll check out the headset too. It doesn't feel all that bad, but hey, you never know. And I managed to snap one of my brake levers. I took all the controls off the bar and left them dangling. And then I rolled the bike forward, and the lever blade got caught in the front spokes. Oops. At least that didn't happen during a ride.