mtbr member
    Apr 2004

i have a need for speed

i'm coming off a successful 8 hour race training/racing campaign straight into cyclocross. my first 2 races have shown that i have no speed.

i'd like to get some recommendations on workouts to build my speed for 'cross.

Thanks!
    something about the west coast...it makes me wanna ride

mtbr member
    Intervals for speed.

AC intervals (4-8, 1-2min, all out; 100% recovery in between)
    microbursts (for lactic clearance ability, 10s sprint every 30s, repeat for 15 minutes)
    Sprints (6-8 10s sprints; 100% recovery)
    Some general FTP work as well. (20min TT on flat road is my favorite)

Preferably all performed on flat road with your cross bike. Keep this up for a few weeks, then taper for the last few races.

I was training for a end of season crit and did FTP, Microbursts, and sprints. That worked well I thought. Didn't have enough energy/time to fit in the ACs. My AC power was at an all time high this year anyway.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    what do you think about throwing some over/unders in there?

SSOD
    What Ponch said.

This is my first year racing cross and have been doing mainly 2-3 sets of 20-23min FTP intervals with full recovery in between twice a week on the cx bike, and continuing my road and mtb workouts the rest of the week.

I also do an interval/ workout where I set my barriers up in a soccer sized field, actually only need about half a field, and do 5 laps at Zone 4ish+ around the field crossing the barriers each time. It usually takes about 4-5 mins to do all 5 and then I follow the last one up with a 5 min zone 3 lap around the park then back to do another set of 5 barriers. I will do 2-3 of these with a 15 min recovery after the last one, then 1 or 2 more sets depending on if I plan on doing any endurance afterward.

Being a noob to cross this year this workout has helped me become really smooth and much better at barriers during races when my hr is redlining. Most people I have practiced barriers with always practice them at a slow pace and low hr,(I guess it's good for muscle memory to do slow) but I would practice them at the same intensity and hr you would during a race and it has helped tons for me.

Edit: Also come from a ss endurance/xc mtb training for most of this year as well

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Ride your cross bike more. It takes a lot of work to transfer your MTB skills and fitness to cross.

If you are looking for a specific thing, work on your leg speed. Because cross is all about accelerating out cornering leg speed is much more important then in MTB racing.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    I like to do 30-30-30 micro bursts as it is great for interval training and you get to practice your mount/dismount.

3 x 10 min (30 seconds of hard pedaling (150% FTP) - 30 seconds of running - 30 seconds of coasting - repeat until 10 min is up)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    thanks for the replies so far. looks like there will be some pain in my future!