how heavy are you ??

I have a huge propsition....

I have a Chicago buddy that is turned into a over achieving mountain bike/marathoner. He has asked me to enter some kinda slog fest race. Like a 24 hour/Leadville 100 etc.
    I haven’t participated in anything like this, racing of any kind effectively ever! I’d like to do it.
    I have a few concerns. My diet sucks; at least it tastes great though! I am willing to change this for real (and beyond the training too)
    The biggest one is that I am not normal sized, right now 256 lb. I think at least I can get down to sub 240 lb.
    Am I just going to not make it in a mega event like the Leadville Hundy?
    I live in CO and have done more than a few big rides like The Crest, Rainbow included. Kenosha to Georgia, Breckenridge to Georgia,
    Got a 5Spot to go I’d put lighter tires on, drop the GD post for the event still keeping the 36 on though.
    I’m sure there are thoughts on this one out here.
    P.S. I love to ride, mostly to be one with nature. I also have a nice road bike too
    It's for this upcoming summer like July/August time frame
    Last edited by Scottay5150; 12-12-2009 at 09:35 PM.
    What does Marsellus Wallace look like, A BIT*H?

AZ
    banned
    Time frame ? Given enough time to get some endurance I dont know why you cant do it . You tell us , can you do this ?

how heavy are you ??
    It's for this upcoming summer like July/August time frame
    What does Marsellus Wallace look like, A BIT*H?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Why the heck not?

If you are already an experienced rider, and are planning 6 months ahead, I think you could be ready for most anything by then unless you have plans to ride a brutal 20 day stage race or something.

MTB B'dos
    I'd say sure, you can do it, IF, you really set your mind to it!! This is the key, make up your mind that you're in for this and then start to research training and diet. Do loads of research, ask locals who've done it and start to train and change your diet from now.

How heavy is your 5 Spot? Weight is a big factor in somethinglike Leadville, it really can make or break you on the long climbs. I'd say if it's sub 32lbs it could work, but something lighter would be much better. I gave it a shot on a RIP9 29er that was around 31-32lbs and I almost made it, but for letting my nutrition slip and pushing to hard towards the end up Powerline. I'd say if you start to train on what you have and find you like it you might just start to bike shop for something in the smaller travel range or even a softtail or HT.

Main thing GO FOR IT!

Oh FYI I made all the cut offs, but pushed myself to hard after mile 60 because I started feeling so good again (Columbine wiped me) to try and make up time instead of accepting a 11:30-12 hour time. It's something you have to be careful of, not pushing past your limits because that damn altitude will make you pay 10 hours, 87 miles and 10k ft of climbing says I know too well from personal experience.
    Last edited by LyNx; 12-13-2009 at 06:42 AM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Old Joe
    Nov 2008
    Bike weight is not the issue: body weight is....fat is a killer at altitude, for sure....you need a very good power-to-weight ratio to succeed....Leadville is a very, very hard race against the clock: you can not take your time to view the scenery, or have a picnic, like some of the past unsuccessful riders who I know....

ups and downs
    At least in that kind of a race you don't have to finish as a team like you do in the Trans Rockies or BC Bike Race, where both team mates have to stay within 10 minutes of each other on the course. So as long as your fit overachiever buddy doesn't expect that you're going to match his time and you just want to have the experience, then start training using those long long rides and go for it.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Dont do something like Leadville in my opinion. Something with cut off times is just gonna be a bummer if you dont make it. Also it is a race made for people who are cardio machines due to the speed and altitude.

Do a 24 hour team or a 12 hour individual race. 12 hours is fun because at the end of the day you can have a beer and hang out. After 24 I dont think you will feel like doing that.

And if you are 256lbs you can easily lose a lot of weight. Just eat half what you are eating now and continue excercising and it will come off. Until you lose weight i would not even consider changing anything of the bike except getting a shorter fork and easier rolling tires. It would be crazy to spend money to make the bike lighter by couple pounds when you could just not eat as much for couple of days and get same results.
    Originally Posted by XC62701
    Agreed...make it longer. I want to know death is an option

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    IMHO, jumping into a marathon type event (Firecracker 50, Leadville, 24hrs., etc) is kind of like going on a crash diet - you may be able to drop some weight, gain some fitness, but you're not setting yourself up for a permanent change.

Why not get out for some of the local Summit County, CO races? These are bi-weekly races that run June - August on some Summit County's best single track. It's a great group of people - the Clydesdales come out for every race and seem like a really fun bunch of guys. At the start of one race that had a ton of climbing, I heard them agree to ride the whole course together and then let the race come down to a sprint at the finish (not sure if that happened or not).

For me having a fun local race every other week was a way better way to get into racing. I saw regular improvements and had consistent incentive not to always have a 12 pack in the fridge.

Then at the end of the summer you and your agro friend can go out 24 hrs of Moab.

That's just my opion - check out www.mavsports.com for details on the Summit Series.