Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    151

    I hate to ask this but anyone done the colonic thing for weight loss?

    I hate to ask this but anyone done the colonic thing for weight loss?
    I hear it gives a qucik weight drop and a flatter stomch.
    I also know that their are two types, a over the counter pill format, and a procdeure in an office witha tube.

    Do the pills work?

    THoughts?

  2. #2
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveorocks
    I hate to ask this but anyone done the colonic thing for weight loss?
    I hear it gives a qucik weight drop and a flatter stomch.
    I also know that their are two types, a over the counter pill format, and a procdeure in an office witha tube.

    Do the pills work?

    THoughts?
    or you can eat a 1/2 lb of dried apricots in one sitting and it will pretty much do the same thing for you....just don't plan on doing anything further than 5' from your bathroom for about 6 hrs.

    any quick weight loss method probably isn't going to get you where you want to be in the long run. the only tried and true method to losing weight and having a flatter stomach is fewer calories in than expended and some good toning excercises for your core.

    IMO, don't waste your money on quick fixes.

    rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

    *rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    69
    Yes, something about giving myself diharrea (which is usually naturally avoided, except in illness situations), or inflating myself with water, just does not add up. Between the dehydration, loss of nutrition, and sheer discomfort, I really don't see the benefit.

    As *rt* said, the best (there is no easy or quick way) to lose weight and tone up is to reduce caloric intake and increase activity.

  4. #4
    banned
    Reputation: 29Colossus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,150
    Losing weight takes education, and then discipline. A "colonic thing" is neither.

  5. #5
    Don't be a sheep
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,383
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    or you can eat a 1/2 lb of dried apricots in one sitting and it will pretty much do the same thing for you....just don't plan on doing anything further than 5' from your bathroom for about 6 hrs.

    any quick weight loss method probably isn't going to get you where you want to be in the long run. the only tried and true method to losing weight and having a flatter stomach is fewer calories in than expended and some good toning exercises for your core.

    IMO, don't waste your money on quick fixes.

    rt
    Kinda reminds me of what this comedian said ( she was a women so give me a break) " Women will do anything to lose weight.....well except diet and exercise"

    OT Edit; By the way, Firefox 2.0 rocks. Does spell check on forums.
    "Do not touch the trim"

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,225
    Agree with everyone else has said. reminds me of the movie LA story when Steve Martin is dating Sarah Jessica Parker. She plays the young wild thing and talks him into doing a colonic. They show them on the way out and Steve is walking funny and Sarah is jumping around, smiling and says something like " wasn't that great, my head feels so clear!" Steve responds " your HEAD feels clear" LOL!
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    710
    I don't throw out advice here since you are not my patient but I will say you have a bunch of better options with fewer risks of:
    • F'n up your GI flora
    • Jacking with your gall bladder function
    • impacting the available vitamins and minerals your colon extract from the foods you eat
    • dehydration
    • electrolyte imbalance


    The flat stomach is likely just short term. Some people say that your colon is all full of really old foods like meat. If it were in there for a long time a sepsis would likely develop. Onne might simply look to improving water intake along with soluble and insoluble fibers.

    Besides, I just witnessed a colonoscopy this morning. Oh joy of joys!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    791
    Are we talking about colon blow here? Man, I'm dying to try that

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    188
    Hi Crockpot. What field of medicine are you in?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    710
    Quote Originally Posted by cgee
    Hi Crockpot. What field of medicine are you in?
    Clinical dietitian.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12,072
    No way to I do the colonic thing.

    But I do take a really good dump before I go riding up a mountain.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot2001
    Clinical dietitian.
    Quick thread hijack...

    Very cool! Where did you go to school, and how was your program structured? This is something that interests me immensely...

    That and Exercise Phys.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    710
    Quote Originally Posted by zhen
    Quick thread hijack...

    Very cool! Where did you go to school, and how was your program structured? This is something that interests me immensely...

    That and Exercise Phys.
    Glad you are interested. 95% of all RD's are women. Come on in, the water's fine! I am assuming you are a guy.

    I did my undergrad at CMSU in Missouri
    http://www.cmsu.edu/majors/4yearplan.cfm?ftd=43

    And my internship with the VA. My focus is more in geriatrics but most programs offer a wide range of experieinces.

    A great resource is www.eatright.org, our representing organization for dietitians.

    Be warned, the total program takes 5 years if you don't already have a degree. The intership is manetory and can be as much as 2 years if you choose one that offers 1/2 of your masters. In the next 3-5 years all new RD's will require a masters. If you are into training and coaching, your value to your employer or customer base is great even if you chose not to get your RD registration. An undergrad in nutrition is a huge step in cutting through all of the Bullsh*t nutrition out there.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    692
    I've done a liver cleansing regime and I lose 3-4 pounds when done. Plus I am faster at the same HR, its really weird but works.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrftc
    I've done a liver cleansing regime and I lose 3-4 pounds when done. Plus I am faster at the same HR, its really weird but works.

    What does the cleansing regime consist of?

  16. #16
    Hairy man
    Reputation: Dwight Moody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveorocks
    I hate to ask this but anyone done the colonic thing for weight loss?
    No, just for fun.

    What?
    We all get it in the end.

  17. #17
    Hairy man
    Reputation: Dwight Moody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,936
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    Agree with everyone else has said. reminds me of the movie LA story when Steve Martin is dating Sarah Jessica Parker. She plays the young wild thing and talks him into doing a colonic. They show them on the way out and Steve is walking funny and Sarah is jumping around, smiling and says something like " wasn't that great, my head feels so clear!" Steve responds " your HEAD feels clear" LOL!
    Great movie. I love the way Sara Jessica Parker NEVER STOPS MOVING. It's a really clever gag.
    We all get it in the end.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •