Thread: Hydration

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Hydration

Hey all,

I have my first XC race this weekend and I just thought of something I've never really considered. Do you guys normally race with water, or with something will replenish better (Gatorade)? I know when I'm about on tracks after races I see Hammer Gel packs everywhere. Do some race with water + hammer gel?

Thanks,
    Mitchell

mtbr member
    sater wiht stuff in it makes me thirsty. i carry a hammer gel flask and plain water. It is good to try what you will consume in your race on training rides before your race.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

New MTB XC Racer
    Hey Mitchell,

Having only been in racing for two years here is what I do, assuming the race is about 1hr 30 mins.
    I try to eat a snack an hour before. Banana, fig newtons, or similar. I also try to drink 500-750ml of water in the last 30 mins before the race start.
    When I line up 5 minutes before the start I take a gel. By doing this all before it won't hurt you as much during the race if you 'Forget' to drink cause of your effort in a new sport
    Once the race starts I usually drink 500-750 mil of water during the race which takes about 1:15 give or take. I'm sure gatorade would be about as good as anything for a short race.
    I try make sure I eat within 30 minutes of finishing the race for recovery.

Hope this helps,
    Chers,
    Paul Bell

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Most people will use some sort of sports drink during races. I'd recommend it - replacing what you've lost (besides water, obviously) is important in a hard effort, race situation. Definitely you should experiment with whatever you're thinking of using in the race beforehand - you don't want to try anything new on race day.

If sports drinks aren't your thing, you can use water in bottles and bring gel along. However, it is a bit harder to take a gel while riding than to simply drink the mixture out of a bottle. You can even take water and mix in most gels if that tastes alright to you.
    Alison Dunlap Coaching
    When you're not paid to ride.

Can't feel my legs
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison Dunlap Coaching
    Most people will use some sort of sports drink during races. I'd recommend it - replacing what you've lost (besides water, obviously) is important in a hard effort, race situation. Definitely you should experiment with whatever you're thinking of using in the race beforehand - you don't want to try anything new on race day.
    If sports drinks aren't your thing, you can use water in bottles and bring gel along. However, it is a bit harder to take a gel while riding than to simply drink the mixture out of a bottle. You can even take water and mix in most gels if that tastes alright to you.
    Best advice in the thread. I tried Power Gel for the first time at the starting line of my first sport class race. Had to stop at the top of the first climb to "remove" it
    Water(amounts) and food are personal as far as what works best. You need to experiment to find out what works best for you, just don't do it on race day

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have a 50oz hydrobak that I use strictly for racing. A bunch of ice, 3 or 4 scoops of Heed, and water. [Pre-mix the Heed in a bottle before putting in the camelbak, so you don't get undissolved chunks.] I've sewn down the straps so nothing flaps around. I try to remember to rinse it out shortly after the race, sugar can make the camelbak kind of nasty.

But yeah, if you don't test it out in training, you'll be testing it out on the race course.

Brant-C.
    what do you use when you go trail riding?

for a beginner race, that's all i would bring.

the gel at the start line is also good.

just my $.02.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.