Get busy!!

Hutchinson Python NG Tubeless-Ready MTB Tire

What do you think of these? I can get them cheap today 20$ each. Normally 60$ each. I am in need of new XC tires and to date I'm running the stock fast tracks that came on my 2007 Rockhopper Pro. I'm a weekend warrior to aspiring racer.

Please advise!!!
    07 M4 Rockhopper Pro (Mango)
    Fox Fork 100mm / Chris King Headset

Get busy!!
    Oh, and I should be able to run tubes on these right? It calls them tubeless ready. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If you can get them online, hook a brother up with a link, I'd buy a couple @ that price. From my time on them, a good tire at lower pressures, you'd most likely want to run them tubeless to get to those pressures, but of course you can run them with tubes.

Get busy!!
    In store at performance bike shop. Online still has them at 55-56$. I almost pulled the trigger at lunch. Might scoop them on the way home. You think they would be ok with tubes or should I not waste my time? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    They'd be ok with tubes, but I'd recommend converting to tubeless no matter what tire you use, do a search for gorilla tape ghetto tubeless, cheap and it works. Is that a national deal, or just your local shop? At very least, it will make a great rear tire, you can always use a more aggressive front tire if you need it for your terrain.
    At that price, I want a couple at least for training tires, and save my expensive Schwalbes for race day. But, it would still be a good race tire if it's all you got.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Get those tires if their only 20 bucks!!! I ran the 26 and 29er version and both seemed to hook up well in loose and rolled very fast.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    Its one of my favorite rear tires! It rolls super fast on hardpack, its narrow but still has large volume, seems to do well in all conditions. I have never heard good opinions about it as a front tire though.

It will work fine with tubes.

I actually have the air lite version and have tried to set it up ghetto tubeless, but it won't hold onto the rim! It keeps blowing off when I reach about 30 psi, scaring the crap of me and anyone else within a 100' radius. I would try it again without soapy water, but afraid it might burp or blow off under aggressive riding.

Linoleum Knife
    Good tire. The rears wear a little fast, and you'll probably run through 2 (or 3) rears to a front.

The python Air-lite NG 26x2.3 is one of my favorite tires of all time. Light enough to race, and wide enough to bomb.

I've got the tubeless-ready with tubes on my 29er. Still lighter than a lot of other tires...

The White Jeff W
    I ran those for awhile. I like them as a rear tire. Not so much on the front.
    No moss...

Team Livemedium
    I tried these last spring after my buddy gave me them to try. did not like. front washout city. took them off after a couple sketchy rides. I was running tubes at around 30psi. Maybe tubeless around 22 psi they would hook up better? Maybe I corner too fast?