mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Hub/Wheelset Comparison

I had this question posted on the Wheels and Tires board but got no response, so since maybe these are higher end wheelsets I'm going to see if anyone here has anyone feedback:

I'm still working on trying to decide which hub rim combo or wheelset to go with and now after visiting my lbs and holding and feeling some of the hubs wow what differences. I was able to hold and feel a Chris King hub, Hadley Hub and a Hope XC hub (I would have liked to see the Hope Pro 2 but he didn't have one). The differences I saw were:

Chris King - very rapid engagement, nice feel, too expensive.

Hadley - very similar to the King hub, very rapid engagement.

Hope XC - relatively loud and not as rapid engagement, it appears to have a very different pawl engagement mechanism inside. I wasn't really impressed by this one after holding the Hadley and King hubs.

Now I'd like to throw into the mix 2 other hubs/wheelsets I'm looking at:

DT Swiss 240 hub - I haven't been able to see or feel one and I'm going off the mtbr product review section and Togoparts Review.

Cane Creek Zonos Disk SS - I currently have a set of these in v-brake and I really like them, but I haven't tried any others. What I do like about these is the high spoke tension and everything it gives including the instantaneous feel and reaction to outputs and inputs.

If anyone has or can give advice on any of these hub/wheelset choices I'd really appreciate it.
    If you're not falling, then you're not riding fast enough!
    Ibex Asta Pro SE & Giant XTC-2

On your left.
    Jan 2004

White Industries

Consider the White Industries DJ. I use that on my race rear wheel - it has been excellent so far. Does not have the rapid engagement of CK, but is lighter (310g), quality is just as good, has not required adjustments, and is less $$. Mine also has the Ti freehub because I use individual cogs, not a spider mounted cassette. The whiteind.com website does not list the DJ hub anymore, so ??

For the front I think the WTB laser disc lite is the best.

For rims, I think Stan's are really, really good. DT Swiss rims are way overbuilt, too narrow and heavy.

If you use Stan's rims I recommend having Mike Garcia (oddsandendos.com) build your wheelset. Ask him about the DJ hub availability.

Quote Originally Posted by baraant
    I had this question posted on the Wheels and Tires board but got no response, so since maybe these are higher end wheelsets I'm going to see if anyone here has anyone feedback:

I'm still working on trying to decide which hub rim combo or wheelset to go with and now after visiting my lbs and holding and feeling some of the hubs wow what differences. I was able to hold and feel a Chris King hub, Hadley Hub and a Hope XC hub (I would have liked to see the Hope Pro 2 but he didn't have one). The differences I saw were:

Chris King - very rapid engagement, nice feel, too expensive.

Hadley - very similar to the King hub, very rapid engagement.

Hope XC - relatively loud and not as rapid engagement, it appears to have a very different pawl engagement mechanism inside. I wasn't really impressed by this one after holding the Hadley and King hubs.

Now I'd like to throw into the mix 2 other hubs/wheelsets I'm looking at:

DT Swiss 240 hub - I haven't been able to see or feel one and I'm going off the mtbr product review section and Togoparts Review.

Cane Creek Zonos Disk SS - I currently have a set of these in v-brake and I really like them, but I haven't tried any others. What I do like about these is the high spoke tension and everything it gives including the instantaneous feel and reaction to outputs and inputs.

If anyone has or can give advice on any of these hub/wheelset choices I'd really appreciate it.
    M

Members who have read this thread: 0