Thread: HR max @ 43

Sep 2008

HR max @ 43

Just curious what Max HR should be for a 43 yo male. I started cycling 2.5 yrs ago and I am up to 8 hrs a week training and compete in MTB racing and in fact won my class in last years point series. I even took up running this last winter for some cross training and complete my first 1/2 Marathon (1:54). My avg HR and MAX are very nearly the same whether running or cycling.

MAX recorded HR 173 (recorded this in my first year of training and haven't seen it since)
    AVG Peak during a race 163
    AVG during race 153
    LT 155

Stats:

43 yo Male
    193 lbs 6'

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    220 less your age is the calculated max. I've had a stress test and am in my 40s, the calculated max is not my true max. I'd label that tempo, so like most things the calculation is merely a guide...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Max HR is going to be a little different for everyone, even people at the same age. I've found that I can hit an HR of over 175 regularly and I'm 42. But ability to hit a high HR is not necessarily an indicator of fitness. It could be an indicator of overheating, or being sick that day, or just an unusual genetic makeup.

At any rate, what's more useful for training is the lactate threshold HR. More info:

http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblo...-training.html

Paul
    Jun 2010
    I'm 43, been training and racing for a year. Max recorded HR is 183bpm and usually average about 170 in the XC races I've done. 5' 6" 150lbs.

mtbr member
    I find if anything, my max heart rate goes down a few beats as my fitness progresses. I've noticed a slight decine in max with age, too. I'm almost 28; when I was a teenager I could almost get it to 200, now I max out around 188. LT is around 165.
    Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly
    Giant Anthem
    Trek Fuel Ex 8
    Lemond Buenos Aires
    Cervelo R3
    www.fasterthansome.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    if you are really interested in finding out find a place that will do some testing (not just your doctor). I would assume that your Max is going to be between 165 and 175 based on both the information you stated as well as the generally accepted guideline (177 bpm).

As anisible said LT is a much better number to focus on for training purposes. For most people that ranges between 70 to 80% HR Max. One more thing to consider is that LT is also very closely associated with your breathing, If you have a good feeling of your body and you can kind of feel your ventilation rate then the point when you go from a steady increase in breathing rate to a big jump (or what feels like a big jump) would be a fairly close estimate of your LT. But again if you really want to know find somewhere you can have some testing done.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    HR is all over the place for everyone, I'm 41 and my Max is 189 and my LT is 166. I have a coupld of friends that are 35 and their max is 170 (they state it's due to their big hearts). So everyone is different.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    MHR, LTHR and all other HR's are individual. Take the advice above and go spend some $ on getting tested. I'm a little (!) older (65) and my HR ESTIMATED stats are:
    Resting 45
    Max 165 (establishing this hurt!)
    LTHR 149 +/-2 (20 mins flat chat)
    FTHR 141 One way of working Functional Threshold out is (((MHR - RHR)*.8)+RH) = (((165-45)*.8)+45)

Getting tested for all these and others allows better training sessions IMO due to more accurate Zone specifications.

FWIW
    Last edited by Hostilemonk; 06-14-2011 at 10:31 PM. Reason: added info