Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2003

How'd you get sponsored? - And other ankle biter questions...

Did you ask? Did someone ask you? Are there certain criteria someone should stick to if pursuing sponsorship? What kind of package can be expected at various levels? Is it worthwhile? Are there setbacks / things to look out for?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    sponsorship is a tricky subject.

the wife is 8th fastest female in the US and if it weren't for an awesome bike shop (Rock N Road Cyclery FTW!!!!) she probably couldn't afford to chase the races at all...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I can only answer for myself. What I did was get involved with my lbs and showed them my dedication. Now they take care of me and I do what I can for them buy always talking them up and dropping their name as much as possible. It started small and now I feel I have a great deal. I know in my area a common discount is cost + 20% on items with maybe a one-time buy-in deal on certain things such as a bike or large ticket items. Also look for teams associated with shops.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    What sort of sponsorship level?

A deal on a bike and jersey? Become good friends with you local shop.

Free bikes, travel, and a salary? Finish in the top 10 at a world cup.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

Fat-tired Roadie
    I just race for fun. I'm on a shop team, so we get 25% off in-stock parts, 50% off labor, cost + %10 for ordered parts, except two large ticket items at cost, a deal on FSA stuff, and a deal on cookies. A guy who races in my class was telling me that his team, which I don't think is associated with a shop, gets half their race fee reimbursed and a deal on RockShox and Park Tool products. I think one of the advertisers on the jersey picks up some of the cost of team kit orders.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I asked her to marry me. Now she pays for all my race entry fees and equipment!
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

Subject to Whimsy
    Dec 2009
    This is somewhat unusual I'm sure.
    The director of the company I'm with decided one day a couple of years ago that we needn't to have more community involvement. Somehow sponsoring a cycling team made it on to his radar and being the lone cyclist in the company corps my sponsorship was automatic.
    I'm not much of a racer but I have been able to take advantage of some skookum industry discounts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    I asked her to marry me. Now she pays for all my race entry fees and equipment!
    i totally screwed this one up.... oh wait, never mind. she is the one saying this about me! LOL

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Don't just walk into a shop and say "will you sponsor me?". All we hear is "I want some free stuff". Do work for the shop first and show good race results and a commitment to riding. You want free stuff, we want advertising. It's that simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    "It's amazing how people can make bicycle riding seem so complicated on the internet."

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN
    What sort of sponsorship level?

A deal on a bike and jersey? Become good friends with you local shop.

Free bikes, travel, and a salary? Finish in the top 10 at a world cup.
    This.

Many shops have "recreational" teams. Membership is usually just a matter of getting invited (usually by riding with shop employees and regulars). Shop discounts are the "sponsorship". My team has several levels of discounts based on number of races attended in the current season (among other things, like required community work).

Several local teams have an elite tier, where the riders get entry and some travel allowance, subsidized by the lower tier members (who join for the camaraderie and training opportunities) and corporate sponsors (commonly local real estate offices).

Actually making a living at cycling? Good luck with that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I never understood why a rider would lay down $100+ for a shop jersey and shorts to ride for the "shop team" and at most get a small discount? At least that's what I've noticed in my area. Great marketing on the shops part.

mtbr member
    I bought a couple bikes from my local shop and started getting serious. I noticed they had a race team and asked about it, now I ride for them. One of our sponsors picks up my kits and race entry fee's, Bontrager gives us stuff like tires, shoes, and seats, a shop discount, and we get 20% off on Scott bikes(picking up a new on today). It really is a great deal and I always try to send everyone their direction when looking for anything bike related.

Registered Dietitian
    Quote Originally Posted by moto367
    I never understood why a rider would lay down $100+ for a shop jersey and shorts to ride for the "shop team" and at most get a small discount? At least that's what I've noticed in my area. Great marketing on the shops part.
    Because if it's a nice road-type kit (bibshorts and jersey) then $100 roughly covers the shop's wholesale costs with printing. It's being sold for zero profit to provide exposure for the shop.

$100 is a pretty good deal for high-end kit.
    Registered Dietitian, Cycling Coach, E3: Elite Human Performance

www.e3ehp.com

mutaullyassuredsuffering

contact

In addiiton to joining a team, most manufacturers have a time during the early winter where you can contact them with a race resume and proposal. At one time, I had prodeals and free product coming from 6 good companies. I let most of them go over the past two years with my ever diminishing race schedule. With the economy in the dumps, many have dropped alot of riders but there is still support to be had for amatuers.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    try going on hookit.com

I'd rather be riding
    I really like this article! AngryAsian: Sponsorship is not about you - BikeRadar

Also in response to your question. I race in a shop kit, but I worked there for several years! I think the local team (p/b the shop) gets a 25% discount and a portion race fees/kit fees back if they do a certain amount of volunteering at team events throughout the season. Our collegiate team is mostly funded by our school club sports money but we are still responsible for food/jerseys/bikes. They cover wear parts/travel/hotels/entry fees.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I get two free kits a year free labor and a bike at 30% below cost from trek and cost +10 on any parts.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    I wonder if the OP has been able to find a sponsorship in the last 37 months? ")

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    I wonder if the OP has been able to find a sponsorship in the last 37 months? ")
    well, he is self motivated....
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

go vegan!
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    i wonder if the op has been able to find a sponsorship in the last 37 months? ")
    haha!

mtbr member
    Ryan Woodall finished 4th in pro xct points with a BUNCH of factory guys behind him and he still hasnt had anything come up for next year if that answers any questions

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog View Post
    Ryan Woodall finished 4th in pro xct points with a BUNCH of factory guys behind him and he still hasnt had anything come up for next year if that answers any questions
    Woodall is def killing it.

XCdude
    Well people get sponsor because they do the right things, and winning is not it. You have to sell yourself, well spoken, presentable. You have to be someone that a company at any level would want to be associated with. Do you have Facebook, twitter, website and so on.

you have to travel to the right races and places, at national races, sea otter, interbike. You have to knock on 1000 doors, 100 will open, 10 you'll get in and 2 will help you. or top 20 at a worldcup will get you in.

Dirty South Underdog
    Get kinda fast and really popular, then use your popularity to sell things for people.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My son has a great deal; he's 9 and I pay for everything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast