mtbr member

How well does honey mix with water?

I've used Heed as my primary sport drink for the past season with good results, but I've read resently that a mixed carb source is absorbed better. Since Heed is pretty much maltodextrin, I'd like to try mixing it with some other cabrs. I tried table sugar twice so far while it worked great (1/2Tblspn sugar w/ 1 scoop Heed). However, I use lemon/lime Heed and adding the sugar makes it taste a lot like Mountain Dew, which in turn made me think of Mountain Dew & Vodka, so I'd like to try something else . I thought honey might be good to try next. Does anybody know if honey readily mixes with water? I don't want to goop up my water bottles.

mtbr member
    if you mix honey in hot water it will dissolve and it will make a syrup.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The problem with adding sugar to heed is that Hammer already has sweetners addded to it, Xylitol and Stevia, being that maltodextrin is hardly sweet at all and doesn't taste great on it's own. So adding almost other carb to it will make it really sweet. You'll have a hard time finding a usable carb, other than maltodextrin, that doesn't do the same thing as table sugar. While I'm not a huge hammer fan, the thing I like about Heed is that it isn't very sweet. I agree that it's a good idea to try other carbs in your mix. However, Hammer might not be the thing to do it with, or you can try a honey based gel to supplement your Heed. Or maybe try First Endurance's products, I haven't tried them yet, but they have a good multiple carb source.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Well you could just experiment and see how it works. We should all have a a little bit of an inner scientist in us.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorback
    Well you could just experiment and see how it works. We should all have a a little bit of an inner scientist in us.
    This reminds me...I've been wanting to add a table spoon of honey to my nuun mix just see if it gives me an extra boost. Maybe I could do a little shooter on the last quarter or so of a race to see if it helps. I'll expermiment on some training rides first of course .
    I may not have the best of everything, but I have everything.

mtbr member
    I saw some agave nectar while at the grocery store last and since it was a little less viscous than honey I gave it as shot - it worked great! It seemed to dissolve well and while it made the sport drink sweeter it wasn't unbearable and judging from two rides it seemed to work well with the heed in supplying my energy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    FYI Agave is high in inulin, a form of fructose, that doesn't absorb well in the gut and feeds gut flora, which can give you gas. In small amounts in your coffee, it won't bother you, but if you take lots of it, you may feel bloated.

namagomi
    Too much honey and sugar and you'll increase the osmolarity of the drink, preventing easy absorption into the blood stream not to mention rot your teeth out!

mtbr member
    Good call on the Agave Nector & Honey - I did little more research and came to the same conclusion. So, I've bought some bulk matodextrin and am cutting my Heed with it for added energy without excessive sweetness - two test rides in and it's working good so far...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

mix it up

1 scoop of Heed + 1 scoop Gatorate=200cal
    1 cup Maltodextrin+1 cup protein+1 Tspn honey=400ish Cal

4bottles each in 9hours race=podium

experiment w/ different combo and keep count of total calories. Good luck

Dad
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Where did you get your bulk maltodextrin from? It *should* be super cheap, as it's very cheap to manufacture, but as soon as the gimmicky sports drink people get their marketing claws on it and dress it up with a bit of flavour, it costs a fortune. I've been looking to make my own sports drinks with a base of maltodextrin for some time now and haven't come across any suitable maltodextrin.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad
    Where did you get your bulk maltodextrin from? It *should* be super cheap, as it's very cheap to manufacture, but as soon as the gimmicky sports drink people get their marketing claws on it and dress it up with a bit of flavour, it costs a fortune. I've been looking to make my own sports drinks with a base of maltodextrin for some time now and haven't come across any suitable maltodextrin.
    "Brew it yourself" places will have some. You can buy by the kilogram...

mtbr member
    I got my bulk malto here:
    http://proteinfactory.com/shop/home.php
    along with some bulk whey. The service was fast and the price cheap on both

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snellvilleGAbiker
    1 scoop of Heed + 1 scoop Gatorate=200cal
    1 cup Maltodextrin+1 cup protein+1 Tspn honey=400ish Cal

4bottles each in 9hours race=podium

experiment w/ different combo and keep count of total calories. Good luck
    So you had 4 bottles of the heed/gatorade mix and 4 bottles of the malto/protein/honey mix? Also, were you really able to mix a full cup of both malto & whey in a single bottle?

Members who have read this thread: 0