mtbr member
    Sep 2007

How to stop your muscles turning back to fat,

I was doing a lot of weight legs and upper body, wasn't really cutting the food out so weight wasn't dropping much but stomach was getting better.

So cut the food out not totally ofcourse, although weight is down slightly my muscles are down, I'm much weaker already within 2 weeks and my stomach is bigger and jeans feel tight again

So I theorise my body is converting muscle back into fat, exactly what I don't want

Any tips ???

Bought some protein shake powder in the hope more protein less carb's will aid training and stop the above, but only 2 days in on that.

mtbr member
    Muscle and fat are two separate entities I believe. You gain and lose different levels of each.

What does your general diet look like? Give an example of a typical breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Remember that old saying, you are what you eat. It really is true. And total calories as well.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    since trying to behave :-

Breakfast is porridge or weetabix, moved this to Protein Shake + 2 slices of toast brown bread for the fibre.

Main meal behaving, baked beans and toast likely 3 days per week, the other days well chinese or small pizza or chips and sausage but hey.

Been behaving more the last 10days or so and can't lift as much weights and stomach is much bigger, which is kinda ANNOYING!!!

Even put some long 20+ mile, 4 hour bike rides in!!

I also climb a bit, mountaineer, kayak so upper body strength is important for them.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd
    since trying to behave :-

Breakfast is porridge or weetabix, moved this to Protein Shake + 2 slices of toast brown bread for the fibre.

Main meal behaving, baked beans and toast likely 3 days per week, the other days well chinese or small pizza or chips and sausage but hey.

Been behaving more the last 10days or so and can't lift as much weights and stomach is much bigger, which is kinda ANNOYING!!!

Even put some long 20+ mile, 4 hour bike rides in!!

I also climb a bit, mountaineer, kayak so upper body strength is important for them.

Eating only twice a day is not a stragey that usually succeeds, eatin five or six small meals durring the day will help keep blood sugar levels steady. FWIW, protein shakes tend to pack on the pounds. Eat more vegtables, less pizza and chinese.

mtbr member
    Fat and muscle are two different thing.
    You pretty much can't build muscle without adding fat.
    And you can't cut fat without loosing some muscle.
    And don't even think about adding muscle and cutting fat at the same time.
    All you can do is try and minimize the effects you don't want. A good book to read is "Burn the fat, keep the muscle". If you can't find it in a store you might be able to find it online(cough torrent cough or pm cough)
    There is acceptions to the above
    If your still young and in the growing stage.
    Have insane genetics
    Are on moderate to high doses of testosterone and other harmone enhancing drugs.

If trying to loose weight and keep your muscle gains, shoot for 500cals below bmr with as much protein as you can get and low to moderate amounts of carbs. But the book above is a good read.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    agree. muscles don't turn to fat. muscle tissue contains fat stores, but so does your skin and everything else. fat cells are like containers, they can grow and shrink but they don't go away.

your diet blows. do some research, read some books on decent nutrition. find what works for you. universally speaking, cut down on the crap food and increase vegetable and fruit consumption. eat more often, and in smaller quantity. stay well hydrated.

lean muscle mass burns calories at rest. it also hampers climbing (look at some of the top roadies). a good balance isn't easy to find but MTB racers don't tend to be really big.
    Try to be good.

XC racer
    May 2005
    I've always been to the tall and skinny bodytype, but as I get older it's definitely easy to let some around the middle build up. In early September, I decided to give another run at getting in shape again. A couple I know had been following WeightWatchers for about a month and were both losing weight, so I gave it a try. Since then, I've dropped from 183 to 154 lbs (I'm about 5'11"1/2.) I only attended a few meetings, but absorbed the basic principles which are portion control, and balance of protein/fat/carbs. No foods are banned, but obviously the better you eat, the more/faster you'll lose.
    I guess I already had a decent cycling muscle base under the flab because my riding has kicked up several notches even without a specific training plan. I'm also riding more simply because it's more fun when you're not carrying around extra poundage. I splurge from time to time (desserts are my weakness) but from your basic description, your diet needs to change.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whybotherme
    lean muscle mass burns calories at rest. it also hampers climbing (look at some of the top roadies). a good balance isn't easy to find but MTB racers don't tend to be really big.
    This! As a noob finding it out the hard way. I'm 5'11" 215# far from what anybody would consider a racers weight for my height. I'm cutting now and if I get to 195# without to much lean losses I'll be happy. At 225# I could bench 225 for 11 and max out at 305. Calorie deficit and a weight loss of 10# and that's already a distant memory...being 36 doesn't help any either. Planning my first "race" in the summer at I hope 200#.
    It's hard watching lifts go down though

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Eville140
    This! As a noob finding it out the hard way. I'm 5'11" 215# far from what anybody would consider a racers weight for my height. I'm cutting now and if I get to 195# without to much lean losses I'll be happy. At 225# I could bench 225 for 11 and max out at 305. Calorie deficit and a weight loss of 10# and that's already a distant memory...being 36 doesn't help any either. Planning my first "race" in the summer at I hope 200#.
    It's hard watching lifts go down though

i used to lift. i justify it by saying that functional strength is actually better to have than iso-lifts. i can do WAY more pullups and pushups and other functional exercises now than i could when i was lifting. part of that is due to the fact that i am almost 100#'s lighter, but overall i am way more healthy and fit at 36 than ever before in life.

good luck with your first "race"!!!
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    Here's how I organize my diet:

Breakfast:
    Most times: Eggs, red potatoes, spinach, bell peppers all cooked together in a pan
    Sometimes: Cereal or pancakes (pancakes is messy and too much work)

Lunch and Dinner: Meat of some sort (chicken, fish, or steak), plus a spinach salad. I usually like to cook a big amount of food and eat it over several days for lunch and dinner. Crock pot chicken, beans, and veggies has been a favorite of mine. Food for days.

SNACKS (I eat this stuff all day really, whenever I get hungry): whole grain bread with Nutella (forfills the chocolate crave), bananas, apples, mandarin oranges, bowl of cereal, blueberries, pears, nuts, strawberries, etc.

It's pretty easy to throw 4 pieces of fruit in your work/school bag before going out.

As far as fast food, these are the choices that work for me (This is like a bi-monthly thing, that's it):
    -In and out Burger - Hamburger and water, $2.00
    -Taco Bell- Chicken Chulupa and water, 3-4 bucks
    -Costco - Slice of Pizza and water, 2 bucks
    -Arby's - Fresh Market Sandwich and water, 4 bucks

For fast food (sometimes it's a necessary evil), if you limit yourself to 2-4 bucks, then you can't really consume that many calories. Once you add fries and milkshake, then the cost and calories skyrocket.

Has anyone else found any decent fast food choices? Subway sandwiches are still to big and expensive for me. They need to put out the 3 inch sub.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thats a ROCK climber by the way so upper body strength is important for other things I do.

Trying to build the Lean muscle was the plan and replace the fat with it, so still burning the same resting calories or there abouts but muscle rather than fat, with some weight lost aswell.

Subways are best avoided cause the 12" is way better VFM

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thats a ROCK climber by the way so upper body strength is important for other things I do.

Trying to build the Lean muscle was the plan and replace the fat with it, so still burning the same resting calories or there abouts but muscle rather than fat, with some weight lost aswell.

Subways are best avoided cause the 12" is way better VFM
    Fat cells and muscle cells are not the same, try doing some research. One doesn't replace the other.

Save Jesus
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli
    Subway sandwiches are still to big and expensive for me. They need to put out the 3 inch sub.
    Kids sub.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by flargle
    If I were serious about losing a bunch of weight, I'd switch to a ketogenic diet like Primal Blueprint, Paleo, or TKD.

And move about a bit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli
    Muscle and fat are two separate entities I believe.

You sir, are corrrect.

Its anatomically/physiologically impossible for muscle to get fat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If I were serious about losing a bunch of weight, I'd switch to a ketogenic diet like Primal Blueprint, Paleo, or TKD.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Not on about replacing the other, the body can eat muscle tissue and re store it as fat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott
    And move about a bit.
    I'm guessing that most of the people on this board "move about" plenty, but still have excess body fat. (That's my situation, in any event.)

~Disc~Golf~
    Not on about replacing the other, the body can eat muscle tissue and re store it as fat.
    no it doesn't
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member

Way to go!

Quote Originally Posted by flargle
    That's been my plan for the last 2 years. Eating Paleo is simple: don't eat anything that comes in a box or has been processed. No grains, no sugars, no vegetable oils. Meats and veggies, eggs, bacon, butter. And you will be healthier, which has been my main motivator.

Members who have read this thread: 0