mtbr member
    Aug 2013

How To Start Racing

I joined my high school's mountain biking team this year, and we were supposed to go to races. Unfortunately, we didn't have enough people so we couldn't sign up for the high school mountain biking league. I really want to race, but I don't know how to get started.

How do I get involved in mountain bike racing?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

How To Start Racing

Check out your local community or advocacy group. Odds are good that you have some type of organization in town where mountain bikers gather to ride or take care of trails. Just google "your city name mountain biking".

That should at least set you on the right path. They will most likely tell you where the races are and which ones you should start with.

Then just register and show up. Every race is different, but they are all funn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I'm not riding I help beginner mountain bikers learn new skills at Texas Mountain Bike Trails.

I like mtn biking, too
    Hey s11s11, you don't need to be part of the high school league to race. You just need your parent's credit card , and their signature on a release form. Many races should have a junior category in which you can register. See MTB Calendar. You're in my area - a lot of us race the CCCX XC series. Also the Santa Cruz Super Enduro always has a junior category.

As for people leaving negative rep, wth? Brought you back in the green.
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    Hey s11s11, you don't need to be part of the high school league to race. You just need your parent's credit card , and their signature on a release form. Many races should have a junior category in which you can register. See MTB Calendar. You're in my area - a lot of us race the CCCX XC series. Also the Santa Cruz Super Enduro always has a junior category.

As for people leaving negative rep, wth? Brought you back in the green.
    Thanks for the link, that's exactly what I needed. I'll definitely be doing some races soon.

About the negative rep, it's only one negative comment but the only rep I have. I'll try to make the story short:
    Since my bike used to be my dad's, I don't know exactly what year and model it is. I couldn't find it anywhere online so I started a thread on identifying my bike. A moderator said it was a heavily upgraded Rockhopper, but I know that my dad didn't upgrade anything. We got into an argument and he gave me bad rep.

Your Best Friend
    You do realize you can race in the high school league as an independent, and there isn't a minimum number of people you have to have as a team.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    You do realize you can race in the high school league as an independent, and there isn't a minimum number of people you have to have as a team.
    Yes, but the time to register for the league is over.a

mtbr member
    I race a few times a year for the fun experience. So I just pick races that seem fun and just do them. No particular rhyme or reason. I don't have a license either as my races typically don't need one. I pay my money, show up at the appointed time/place and ride as hard as a I can. I don't win nor come close, but I do enjoy the experience.

Your age should not change that other than needing to get parental approval and being sure they have group for you there should be no issues.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for the help everyone! I will definitely be doing some local races soon.

BTW, I just upgraded my fork today from a crappy RockShox Recon to a Fox F-Series RL.