Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

how to set tempo after losing only water bottle?

So today during my race, I lost the water bottle 15 minutes into the race. Just after a long climb and steep long decent. I'm in the beginner class, so I was only in there for one lap which is about 50 minutes for me. I didn't know how much I can push my riding pace, trying to to blow up or bonk. It was about 85+* out and very strong winds (gusts over 20mph). I almost called it a day cuz I didnt want to dehydrate so far from the finish or bonk. But I set a very slow crusing pace which I think I could have pushed a lil but wasn't sure what to do. My legs were fine, other then dry mouth from santa ana winds, I was good.

What did you do if you lost your only water source? Beg from other riders? Quit? or just go slow?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jsigone
    So today during my race, I lost the water bottle 15 minutes into the race. Just after a long climb and steep long decent. I'm in the beginner class, so I was only in there for one lap which is about 50 minutes for me. I didn't know how much I can push my riding pace, trying to to blow up or bonk. It was about 85+* out and very strong winds (gusts over 20mph). I almost called it a day cuz I didnt want to dehydrate so far from the finish or bonk. But I set a very slow crusing pace which I think I could have pushed a lil but wasn't sure what to do. My legs were fine, other then dry mouth from santa ana winds, I was good.

What did you do if you lost your only water source? Beg from other riders? Quit? or just go slow?

For what it's worth, you should be able to race an hour without any feed or drink. That's how we do it in cyclocross.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I havn't trained to ride w/o fluids for that long, none the less in dry heat. I have never been in that type of situation so I didn't know how to handle it.

Big ring = No chainsuck
    Normally for an event of less than an hour, you will not notice any decline in performance if you don't hydrate. You may be a little dehydrated at the finish, but just make sure to drink when you're done.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes...
    That way, when you criticize him you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

mtbr member
    I'd just ride a bit easier, but steady. If you are properly hydrated before race
    you should be ok. Where is this 85 degree temps you speak of...I need some of that.

i worship Mr T

i've been known to beg.

i once lost my bottle at the beginning of my first lap out of 3 (racing expert class so the race was likely to be 2+ hrs) on a day where the temps were well above 85 F. i went to reach for it & it was gone. i knew i had someone in the feedzone to hand me a new bottle just before beginning my next lap but it was a good 8 miles before i would get to the feedzone. fortunately, there was also a 2nd feedzone about midway through the lap and as i came through i yelled at all the spectators "PLEASE HAND ME A BOTTLE! I DROPPED MINE! PLEASE!" luckily someone took pity on me and a guy just handed me the bottle he was drinking from which got me through the rest of my lap. (race rept here - sorry, the pix seem to have disappeared into the ether).

after that race i went out and bought better water bottle cages.

then i got a bike that doesn't have room for a water bottle cage and now i wear a camelbak for all my races. i don't look as "cool" but i'm a lot better hydrated and i never have to worry about dropping my hydration source.

rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

hooked on quack
    Not fair.

Lets do as test...

Duck come thru first begging for a bottle...then *rt*. See who gets the bottle. Exactly.

I lost mine the 1st .5 mile at Conyers one 98* day at Conyers during a GAP race. Thats the thirstest I've ever been. During that fateful lap, a teammate came by me begging for a drink also since he'd lost his too. No way buddy.

XC rider

Finders keepers.

I had that happen to me during a hot summer race with another 12 miles to go I remembered where i dropped the bottle and it was no where to be found. I was so desperate for water that I pick up one that someone else had dropped. I know its wrong but could not help it. Dehydration sucks. every-time you dry up like that you increase your chance of kidney stones...not good

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'm thinking of just getting a new camel without pockets. The one I have now is mid size with 100oz bladder and a few pockets. I don't want to worry about losing something that will screw with my race, and all the training I've done for it, even if its mentally.

I have a CF cage on the bike, so theres no adjustments on tighnest. They need to make some type of bottle leash or something

I don't think begging would have worked well at this race, since it seemed like everyone had only one bottle or a camel. My buddy that did Sport class did two laps and he said he saw about 20 bottles on the course on the second lap. He lost his at the end of the 1st lap. There was also about 5 people that DNF and bonked during their race, one guy broke his REBA fork, alot of people crossed the finish showing blood somewhere..... Full moon has some voodoo effects on MTB racers.

BTW, the race was at Fontana, CA.....few miles from NASCAR crazy Cali Speedway.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    Not fair.

Lets do as test...

Duck come thru first begging for a bottle...then *rt*. See who gets the bottle. Exactly.

I lost mine the 1st .5 mile at Conyers one 98* day at Conyers during a GAP race. Thats the thirstest I've ever been. During that fateful lap, a teammate came by me begging for a drink also since he'd lost his too. No way buddy.
    LOL! you just need to practice your look of complete desperation. i think my tongue was dragging through the dust as i came through begging. if no one had handed me a bottle i was seriously considering slitting my own wrists so i could drink my blood.

rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

i worship Mr T
    i race with a 50 oz camelbak
    (something like this:
    and bottle hand-offs at the feedzone. when i take a bottle in the feedzone i just drink and drop it right away since i have no place to keep it on my bike.

on my hardtail where i do have enough space for a bottle cage (and the bike was racing on when i dropped my bottle) i now run this cage:

they are the best cages i've found for mtb'ing. they hold the bottle tightly regardless of teh terrain. much, much better than a CF bottle cage or one of the metal ones. CF cages are fine for the road but the weight you are saving with a CF bottle cage on the mtb IMHO isn't worth having your bottle bounce out in the first technical bumpy section of a race.

rt

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Performance has that 50oz pack for $30 right now. I'm going to see if the local shop has it in stock. Supergo used to have those cages but I guess it really popular cuz they were always out of stock. I might have to order one on the net. Then put the CF one on my roadie

i worship Mr T
    Performance has that 50oz pack for $30 right now. I'm going to see if the local shop has it in stock. Supergo used to have those cages but I guess it really popular cuz they were always out of stock. I might have to order one on the net. Then put the CF one on my roadie
    price point had the profile design bottle cages for $3 each a while back. you might want to check their site.

rt

Unrepentant Cowboy SOB
    Quote Originally Posted by turdburgle
    For what it's worth, you should be able to race an hour without any feed or drink. That's how we do it in cyclocross.

That's true if you are acclimated and sufficiently hydrated prior.

I've seen more people go down as heat casualties than I can count back in the day when i was a joe snuffy in the infantry....and it doesn;t have to be very hot.

One was the more memorable was on a high 60's pleasant day and my squad was running across this drop zone and this cherry went down - happened to have a spare barrel for the 60 on top of his ruck - instantaneous rearrangement of teeth and jaw.

If you lose your water you don't have to panic, but it is a good idea to know how to monitor yourself for warning signs.
    "...it feels like.....times have changed."
    "Times maybe. Not me."

South Mountain Bulimic

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Same race

Your description sounded like Fontana (Fontucky) on Sunday and you confirmed that above. It was hot and very dry. I lost a bottle on my first lap in a race there about 2 years ago, spotted it and picked it up on the second lap. On that bike I could carry 2 bottles which is typically enough for 3 laps. Now my bike only has a spot for 1 bottle, so I use a platypus (http://www.platypushydration.com/) which is basically a camelbak bladder which I carry in my back center jersey pocket. It carries the same amount as a bottle. Anyway, with a bottle and the platypus I was really taxed doing 3 laps and was definitely on the verge of heat exhaustion afterwards, but that was mostly due to poor hydration and electrolyte intake before the race. I was so glad I did not have to sprint for the finish.

Anyway, in your case if you saw the bottle come out I would stop and get it. If you did not see it come out then I would switch from attacking the climbs and recovering on the descents to taking the climbs a bit easy and hammering the descents, well, in as much as that is possible on that course.

M

mtbr member
    A hydration bladder is the way to go. It may not be sexy, but you'll always have water when you need it. *rt*'s 50 ouncer is probably the way to go.
    "There is no try, either do -- or do not"

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated
    Your description sounded like Fontana (Fontucky) on Sunday and you confirmed that above. It was hot and very dry. I lost a bottle on my first lap in a race there about 2 years ago, spotted it and picked it up on the second lap. On that bike I could carry 2 bottles which is typically enough for 3 laps. Now my bike only has a spot for 1 bottle, so I use a platypus (http://www.platypushydration.com/) which is basically a camelbak bladder which I carry in my back center jersey pocket. It carries the same amount as a bottle. Anyway, with a bottle and the platypus I was really taxed doing 3 laps and was definitely on the verge of heat exhaustion afterwards, but that was mostly due to poor hydration and electrolyte intake before the race. I was so glad I did not have to sprint for the finish.

Anyway, in your case if you saw the bottle come out I would stop and get it. If you did not see it come out then I would switch from attacking the climbs and recovering on the descents to taking the climbs a bit easy and hammering the descents, well, in as much as that is possible on that course.
    I think I lost the bottle at the triple arrow drop in. That sand was soo thick, it sucked up my front tire and it got away from me. I bailed the bike with one foot still clipped in. I didn't see the bottle pop out, yet nor would have seen it cuz that sand was a good 8" deep on the left. And I was in a hurry to run down the damn thing nad get back on the bike and go. I noticed the bottle gone in the flat fire road section before the second long climb. And I didn't want to blow up on that climb. I'm going to performance to see what they have in stock. I'll either get that 50oz or a Rouge 70oz. Either one of those are smaller then the one I have right now.

That pocket bladder looks cool, but I get bothered with heavy stuff in my jersey pockets. The jerseys I have aren't that tight, cuz I'm too tall and have to get larger size jerseys to get the length I need.

bang
    i've got the rogue; it works well. bigger capacity and more storage room than the smaller units makes it a little more versatile. if you look around you should be able to find them for about $40.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

they've gotta change that section

the 8" deep loamy chute is ridiculous. If for no other reason that needs to fixed before the NORBA race. It seems fairly easy just cut in a traverse that angles over. I'm amazed nobody has seriously been hurt there or on some of the other really loose sections.

50oz. is way too much water for 50 minutes. Even in extreme heat you should be taking about 25-30oz. per hour. I think you just need a better bottle cage. I had a Cussi (sp?) cage once - the rubber pads prevent premature ejection even when full.

I think I lost the bottle at the triple arrow drop in. That sand was soo thick, it sucked up my front tire and it got away from me. I bailed the bike with one foot still clipped in. I didn't see the bottle pop out, yet nor would have seen it cuz that sand was a good 8" deep on the left. And I was in a hurry to run down the damn thing nad get back on the bike and go. I noticed the bottle gone in the flat fire road section before the second long climb. And I didn't want to blow up on that climb. I'm going to performance to see what they have in stock. I'll either get that 50oz or a Rouge 70oz. Either one of those are smaller then the one I have right now.

That pocket bladder looks cool, but I get bothered with heavy stuff in my jersey pockets. The jerseys I have aren't that tight, cuz I'm too tall and have to get larger size jerseys to get the length I need.
    M

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated
    the 8" deep loamy chute is ridiculous. If for no other reason that needs to fixed before the NORBA race. It seems fairly easy just cut in a traverse that angles over. I'm amazed nobody has seriously been hurt there or on some of the other really loose sections.
    southridge isn't really a part of NORBA so they don't care. I went down the same place last race, that stuff just sucked in the front tire like quick sand. The left looks like the better line, but the top was way too soft for good entry.

Girt by sea.
    Try putting rubber bands or a couple of wraps of gaffer tape on your bottle in a strategic location. It helps to keep it in place. Another trick is to put a thin sock around the bottle and wet it - it will help keep the water in the bottle cool too.

Cheers,
    Graeme
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My photography web site: www.scenebyhird.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    those are some good suggestion to try and keep it in place.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Norba will be there May 7

Norba will be visiting Southridge the weekend of May 7 for the first national race of the season. I think they will have XC, Downhill, 4X, Short Track and trials.

southridge isn't really a part of NORBA so they don't care. I went down the same place last race, that stuff just sucked in the front tire like quick sand. The left looks like the better line, but the top was way too soft for good entry.
    M

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    yup, I'll be there racing in the dry heat. We'll see how they groom the course if they do so.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

blaze a trail

There are no course markers there so there isn't anything preventing you from going way right (since the turn at the bottom is to the right) and avoiding the loose stuff all together - that is my plan next race. Unfortunately I don't live too close or I would ride the course and figure it out a bit better. I've seen other riders take rather unorthodox lines in some of the downhill sections and I'm going to start looking for those opportunities.

M

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast