mtbr member
    Feb 2009

How to prep for a race series?

This may has been asked before here but I couldn't find anything through "Search".

Next season I would like set my focus on a race series. For about 2 months there will be a race every 2-3 weeks.

So how to prepare for such an endeavor? The usual "max 2 peak cycles" does not apply here. Additionally, these races are in the 3-5 hours category (longer than the average XC race but too short to post this question in the "Endurance forum"). So recovery between races will be an issue (particulary in my age group). How to strike a balance between pushing and recovery?

Just collecting ideas ....

Fat-tired Roadie
    I disagree with your "max 2 peak cycles" statement.

I emphasized track this season. It was every week, so a little different from every 2-3 weeks, but the point is that it was a series of many equally-weighted races.

Actually, my season ended up being a muddled mess. I think the reason for this was trying to find a way to do them all as race weeks. In retrospect, I think I should have scheduled my training to do Build 1 before the first race, land the first peak near the beginning of the season, and then do another cycle from, probably, Base 3 through the end, to land a second peak near the end of the season. The races falling within the two race blocks following peaks are 'A' races. Where I can play with cycle lengths to land a race in a rest week, it's a 'B' race. The rest are 'C' races.

At least, that's my plan for next season. I'm planning to switch from four week blocks to three week blocks following my first peak, and probably cut volume a bit, so my heaviest weeks mid-season aren't any heavier than they were. It's going to land a third of my races during the mid-season rebuild in rest weeks, which isn't so bad, and I still fit a fair number into race weeks. Additionally, I hope to recover better and get faster through the season, where trying to maintain the same level pretty much just resulted in me digging myself deeper and not really recovering this season.

It's probably going to be a little easier given the length of your races. For me, at least, my endurance and tempo paces aren't as sensitive to fatigue as my top end, and also don't depend as much on stuff I do during Build and Peak.

HTH.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx