Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

How much skill is needed: Low knob xc race rubber.

Picked up a nice used (older model) I9 lefty wheel set. They came with brand new 29x1.95 sworks renegades.

Just to paint a skill picture, I run 2.25 Ra Ra snake skins right now and have never run out of traction, whether it be climbing or cornering. Im not a top notch or aggressive in the corners but have been making improvements. I am really looking forward to not only taking 150g per tire off but the 1600g wheel set vs my who knows how heavy inferno 25 set is at.
    I have also had great luck with a older fastrak LK in the rear. IT always amazed me how much traction I had.

So, how much less grip am I going to deal with?

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Renegades are very fast tires. They are much better performing with a wide wheel combo. In fact, mated with a 21mm inner width rim....they have nearly the same contact patch of a 2.2" tire, @28psi.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    They are very fast tires. I've only used one in the rear...was always worried about not having enough tracking for a front tire on east coast trails. Definitely a dry condition tire.

Not sure what your trails are like, but be careful with the sidewalks on those. If you're used to snakeskin protection, these things will be like paper. I ran the s-works casing for all of about 30minutes until I tore a hugeeee hole in one. Immediately switched both tires to the control casing (knock on wood...I've been running the control tires for two years and never tore the sidewall)

mtbr member
    I have racing ralphs, and renegades. The renegades are fast for sure, but there is less traction. I can corner better with a ralph on the front. But, I use the renegades for certain races that are "fast" without much technical riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I love my Renegades, but I'm also comfortable with two wheel drift. That is not saying that you can't corner them fast, but I'm saying that when it happens, it doesn't make me panic.

I actually suggest that people try this type of tire out more often. If you keep at it, your skills will improve. If you never get comfortable with the bike squirming around or drifting on you, you will never get to be one of the fastest.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the replies. These will be race day tires for the right conditins of course.

My terrain is pretty rocky where I ride locally. Not sharpe but I have my concerns. Inwill probably learn tonride them and the ski trails in the spring. Then are nice and rock free.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Mind my horrid typing skills. My phone lags so bad its 3 to 4 words behind at times.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. These will be race day tires for the right conditins of course.

My terrain is pretty rocky where I ride locally. Not sharpe but I have my concerns. Inwill probably learn tonride them and the ski trails in the spring. Then are nice and rock free.
    I believe in training on what you're planning to race, you don't want to be learning new rubber while @ full go on race day.

I ran Ra Ra front, Renegade rear all last season on a 26er and loved the combo. Try em out you'll be surprised how much traction you have. Oh and they're faaaassst!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    I love my Renegades, but I'm also comfortable with two wheel drift. That is not saying that you can't corner them fast, but I'm saying that when it happens, it doesn't make me panic.

I actually suggest that people try this type of tire out more often. If you keep at it, your skills will improve. If you never get comfortable with the bike squirming around or drifting on you, you will never get to be one of the fastest.
    I am the opposite I don't like a really lose bike. I feel faster when I can hold corners with grip and control.

mtbr member
    The Renegade delivers on hard pack. I used it on the rear of my 29'er HT race bike last season and just put one on my FS bike. FAST tire..

Both mounted tubeless on wide carbon rims.

mtbr member
    Hmmm...I have some Renegades in the garage that I feared would be too slick, but this thread has me wanting to mount them up...at least on the rear.

I agree with the 'train and race on the same tire' advice. No doubt about that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcm01 View Post
    Hmmm...I have some Renegades in the garage that I feared would be too slick, but this thread has me wanting to mount them up...at least on the rear.

I agree with the 'train and race on the same tire' advice. No doubt about that.
    They spin up quick too! For a 29er tire anyway haha.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by xterrafreak View Post
    I believe in training on what you're planning to race, you don't want to be learning new rubber while @ full go on race day.

I ran Ra Ra front, Renegade rear all last season on a 26er and loved the combo. Try em out you'll be surprised how much traction you have. Oh and they're faaaassst!
    I should have been more specific. It will be a rear for sure as Iam very good at finding traction( winter riding is great training for this). It the front I am more concerned about. I plan to get lots of testing once the trails dry up. We got about 3 feet of snow in the last 2 days. Another plus of winter riding is how much shifting my weight,even a couple inches on the saddle effects grip.

mtbr member
    Anyone try out the Schwalbe Thunder Burt?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Picked up a nice used (older model) I9 lefty wheel set. They came with brand new 29x1.95 sworks renegades.

Just to paint a skill picture, I run 2.25 Ra Ra snake skins right now and have never run out of traction, whether it be climbing or cornering. Im not a top notch or aggressive in the corners but have been making improvements. I am really looking forward to not only taking 150g per tire off but the 1600g wheel set vs my who knows how heavy inferno 25 set is at.
    I have also had great luck with a older fastrak LK in the rear. IT always amazed me how much traction I had.

So, how much less grip am I going to deal with?
    I'd say if you want similar to the 2.25 Ralph - get the 2.3 Renegade S-Works. Very similar feel and performance to the 2.2 Ralph - only a bit more volume.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    I'd say if you want similar to the 2.25 Ralph - get the 2.3 Renegade S-Works. Very similar feel and performance to the 2.2 Ralph - only a bit more volume.
    Interesting...you are right...looks like they discontinued the Renegade 1.8 and introduced the 2.3. I didn't know they had the 2.3 now. By the way, at the same weight as a Renegade 2.3 (570 g) you can run the FasTrak 2.2. A tiny bit less volume but definitely more grip.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by jcm01 View Post
    Interesting...you are right...looks like they discontinued the Renegade 1.8 and introduced the 2.3. I didn't know they had the 2.3 now. By the way, at the same weight as a Renegade 2.3 (570 g) you can run the FasTrak 2.2. A tiny bit less volume but definitely more grip.
    I haven't tried the FastTrak's, but really like the Renegade for most of what I face in the Midwest from dry to tacky. The S-Works version is more supple than the Control version. Not a bad combo to run 2.3 Renegade up front and a 1.95 in the rear either. I can get away with a minimal tread for most races and the Renegade has more bite than a lot of minimals I have run (Aspen, Raven 2.2, Crow, Nano, MaxxLite, etc...).

RenegadeRIPTread

If I had to identify a weakness, it would be on out of saddle/standing short power climbs when the dirt gets loose and dry. A Nobby Nic will dig in and not slip, but the Renegade (along with all more minimal tread tires) takes away the stand and power grunt climbs in that kind of dirt without a lot of finesse and balance.

That being said, unless it rains a lot this year to create muddy racing - I'll probably be running them again at most events.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    Anyone try out the Schwalbe Thunder Burt?
    From what I have read, they might be the go to race tire. If I disnt have these two renegade, I would be trying them out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Don't underestimate the extra speed that you maintain from the increased grip and control of knobby tires. I'm often surprised that knobbier tires which "feel slower" are often faster in the long run - more confidence, less fatigue = less braking when going around a technical course. There is a time and a place for low tread though - generally if there are long sections of straights/fireroad, and the conditions allow.

I am reminded of this post by Shiggy, who you should listen to: Experimented with race tires today

"There is a heck of a lot more to a tire being "faster" on the trail than low rolling resistance. The tire still needs to have grip, cornering and braking ability, suit the conditions, suit your riding style, not flat, and give you confidence to go hard even when you are totally fatigued. Can not test those in a lab."
    My other bike is a /7.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've done some playing around with the 29er Renegades, I've always found that I'm just as fast and usually faster with a Fast Trak on my bike (even on the rear). They roll (nearly) as well and you can corner much more aggressively on them.

I'm not a fan of a Renegade as a front tire (at least in the 1.95 size) at all. I always use a Fast Trak or more often an Ikon.

mtbr member
    I have to admit that I have a love affair with the Rocket Ron. Fast, light, grippy: pick three.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Race King. Fast, light, grippy, high volume: pick four :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by quax View Post
    Race King. Fast, light, grippy, high volume: pick four :-)
    Shhhhiii... The Race King 29x2.2 is over 600 grams and no grippier than a Fast Trak

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    ????
    RK over 600g?

according to Spec's homepage: Fast Trak 29 x 2.2 --> 620g.
    Conti's homepage: RK 29 2.2 Racesport --> 535 g. Both my RK's on my race wheelset came in at 540 g

According to the German tire width/height database RK has much more volume than FT.

And Black Chili rules!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You are comparing the lightest version of the RK to the heaviest Fast Trak. That's not a fair match.

The S-works Fast Trak is much lighter. Also, the Fast Trak 2.0 is as high volume as the RK 2.2.

Also, every RK I've seen has come in over weight. The specialized are usually spot on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast