Team Awesome

How much can you FAKE?

Hey Dudes (and lady dudes)

Long time no see. I have been thinking about trying to force a MTB enduro or two into my packed schedule. For some background, I lived in WV for 3 years, did some racing there, have completed a couple of hundred mile races, and am a middle of the pack rider in general - fast(ish) sport rider (when fit) and slow expert.

Can I reasonably expect a decent riding experience for ORAMM or the SMT100 on 6 hours of training on a normal week?

Should I really emphasize intensity, and occasionally sneak out for a long ride?

I know that there is no substitute for hours in the saddle, but I just don't have the hours.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    If you don't have the hours, I suggest some long intervals, e.g. 12min, 3min rest,... I think it's better to do training with more intensity, because 6 hours on a week is too short for low intensity workout.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It really depends on how well you want to feel during the event, and how much results matter. You can "fake" it a little, but if you are undertrained for the effort you put out, it can be unpleasant, but if you accept your current fitness, and ride within your limits, long distances are possible at a slower pace.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    ..apologies - wrong topic response....

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Why don't you try to race in XCO, 6 hours per week is better to spend on races which are finished for less time.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If your volume is down your intensity has to be up.

You know as long as you can get a long ride in once a week you can be pretty quick, even for a 6hrs. One of the local guys won a 6hr race by a solid margin on only 8hrs a week of training. His training consisted of one long easy ride (4hrs) , and three other rides where he would just pin it from start to finish. Pretty simple but works well for him.

It can be done.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

Team Awesome
    I'd actually prefer to race XC, but I live far enough from any XC racing (1 hour + of driving) and have enough responsibilities (2 kids 2 and under, 2 dogs, a wife who also likes to get out and exercise, 10+ hours a week of volunteer activity, and a career that requires 50+ hours a week) that one or two events a year is pretty much maxing out what I can do.

I think I will do the not quite a slacker plan suggested by LMN. Thanks for the feedback, fellas.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I think the LMN plan works great. Even some podium level state/regional pros get by on 6 hours a week. You shouldn't have to fake anything.

Less than 2 hours a week training? I can normally fake it in a race for 5-7 minutes...then I'm done.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com