mtbr member
    Feb 2010

New question here. How much base is considered a good base?

I have read a number of posts on these forums suggesting new riders (and experienced too) "build a good base" in the offseason. It seems pretty subjective, as a good base to one means little to another.

Is there a formula, guideline or generally accepted principle as to how this can be expressed in terms of one's overall training plan?

For instance, if I have a goal of riding 10 hours per week in the offseason and my first race is in February of next year, how many of those 10 hours should be LSD (base)?

100%
    90%
    80%
    70%?

Do any of you simply put a mileage target on for the offseason?

1500 Miles?

If so, interested to hear what % that would be of your total offseason mileage goal.

My LSD miles have been ridden at 70% of Max HR which seems a little on the high side, but I'm feeling good and expect to have a good racing year. I would estimate my LSD to be 85% of my total mileage ridden.

Just curious as to how each of you quantify this specific to your offseason plans. Any thoughts and wisdom are welcome...

Thanks

mtbr member
    I believe a good base for a sport-expert rider should be from 7-13 weekly hours. that would depend on time available and the quality of your rest/sleep and such.

As far as percentage of it being LSD, it would be a large percentage, >90%. As your race approaches in February, you should start integrating some intervals to sharpen the knife.

I do not use mileage targets, because duration can vary in so many ways, especially since i cross train as well. Time works best. Just keep the perceived exertion at a similar level for cross training activities.

But for the most part, I find LSD to be self controlled intensity when done at high volumes. Another words, go balls for a couple of days during a 13 hour target week, and you won't make it to the end. It's sort of self correcting. You'll learn the pace to make it through a long week. Also, I find if I go too easy for 3 hours, my crotch starts hurting because of low load to the pedals and corresponding maximum body weight on the seat. Yet another self correction.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

SSOD
    I've hear this book is a good read but haven't had time to get it yet.

Base Building for Cyclists: A New Foundation for Endurance and Performance [Book]

Base amounts really depend on a lot of things, I don't really tone down and do LSD rides for base, I just take out interval workouts and intense efforts at the end of long rides with the idea of maintaining and resting instead of building like I would later in the spring/ summer months. For me most base is done is zone 2 on my road bike or ss and typically last 2.5-3hrs several times a week. A lot of it depends on how much rest your body needs and how hard of a past season you had as well imo, but I'm no coach so take it fwiw.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    I believe a good base for a sport-expert rider should be from 7-13 weekly hours. that would depend on time available and the quality of your rest/sleep and such.

As far as percentage of it being LSD, it would be a large percentage, >90%. As your race approaches in February, you should start integrating some intervals to sharpen the knife.

I do not use mileage targets, because duration can vary in so many ways, especially since i cross train as well. Time works best. Just keep the perceived exertion at a similar level for cross training activities.

But for the most part, I find LSD to be self controlled intensity when done at high volumes. Another words, go balls for a couple of days during a 13 hour target week, and you won't make it to the end. It's sort of self correcting. You'll learn the pace to make it through a long week. Also, I find if I go too easy for 3 hours, my crotch starts hurting because of low load to the pedals and corresponding maximum body weight on the seat. Yet another self correction.

Good info, thanks for the help. I am loosely planning on attempting 8 hours of LSD for the next 6 weeks (heroin and crack are too hard to do for that many hours).

I will also do two gym sessions and try to do a group ride once a week if I feel up for it. If not, that will be the first thing to go.

Poncharelli, what % of MHR do you ride at for LSD?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by string_wise View Post
    Good info, thanks for the help. I am loosely planning on attempting 8 hours of LSD for the next 6 weeks (heroin and crack are too hard to do for that many hours).

I will also do two gym sessions and try to do a group ride once a week if I feel up for it. If not, that will be the first thing to go.

Poncharelli, what % of MHR do you ride at for LSD?

Thanks!
    Doing a group ride is a great idea. Once a week all winter is fine. As long as the ride volume is ~3 hours, and everyone is on the same program (to get volume in), then it works well. There's going to be the occasional throwdown, but it's fine to have some intensity in the program.

My MHR is about 178, and I target the 130's for Zone 2 rides, when I do use HR. If I hit the 140s, then I try to back off a bit, but sometimes HR is elevated for no reason. I mostly concentrate on nice moderate load on the legs, aerobic breathing, and fluid RPM, 90-95.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/