Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

How many are training/racing on same bike?

Racing is expensive. Competitive race bikes are expensive.

I'm wondering how many here have a race bike & a everyday bike/training bike?

How many swap parts? what are you swapping, and why?
    believe in yourself! I believe in you!

I'd rather be riding
    I race and train on the same bike. 29 hardtail. I'd like a set of lighter race wheels but would rather spend the money on race entry fees, at least until I graduate and get a job.

I do have a cross bike I occasionally race and ride road on but prefer training on trails its more fun. Although this upcoming season I may try more road structured riding.
    Last edited by zippinveedub; 12-18-2012 at 10:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I train and race on the same bike. I have the stock wheels on my bike as training/trails wheels. I'll build a set of light racing wheels and I also want to buy a very cheap 3rd set of wheels to use with slicks and/or mud tires wheels.

Of course training wheels get the cheap rotor and cassette.

mtbr member
    You can get away with it; myself and several teammates do. Durability trumps lightweight when buying parts. Don't slack on maintenance. Don't run into unforgiving objects.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I race and train on one bike with one set of wheels and tires. I have spare tires hanging in the garbage just in case. Arizona is tough on tires. And I run Stan's factory Crests. At 1550g. They are light enough to race and at 144 pounds I'm light enough to ride them as trail bike wheels.

If I get bumped up to Cat1 next year I might need some Race Golds and XX1 to fit in though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I built up a training bike finally a few months ago. A buddy sold me a full Sram Rival kit and 2 sets of wheels. One set now has 40C tires on it for gravel roads, the other has 23Cs on it for the road and trainer. Love having that bike as training on the MTB tends to be noisy on the trainer (plus it wears your tires quick) and training on the trail is difficult to get the workout in that you're shooting for.

PRETENDURO
    I train on a 38 pound 9:zero:7 fatbike (tires/wheels are 16 pounds of rotating mass) and race on an amazingly lightweight 28 pound 29er (tires/wheels are less than 5 pounds of rotating mass). Train heavy, race light!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Now broadcasting from CO
    Same bike (Epic 29er with Hope/Crest wheels), although I sometimes ride my singlespeed.
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    same bike for everything

nya
    mtbr member
    same bike (29 HT) for everything, but in really ugly weather I switch to my old bike
    XCO results, races, riders etc http://mtbcrosscountry.com

gearing ratios calculator http://gears.mtbcrosscountry.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Race and train on same bike, 29HT. The only things I may swap are tires, and that is only due to conditions.

When I was into tri's, it was a different story.

SLR
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Same bike here too…no reason to have 2 bikes, but it helps if you know how to wrench .

Fat-tired Roadie
    I have a few bikes. So yes and no.

I only have one bike in each class. Any training I do on a mountain bike is on the same one I race. Same goes for 'cross, road and track. But I very rarely race on the road, and I didn't end up doing much training on the track bike once racing got started.

Sometimes I change what stuff I have with me. Training, I carry two spare tubes and some other stuff in a seat wedge. To race, I take one spare tube and a quick link in a zip-loc in a jersey pocket. I'm also less likely to use fenders during a race. That's about it for mode switching.

I wouldn't want to train off-road on something too different from my race bike. I think those of my teammates who can afford to have a few competitive mountain bikes still bring out their new babies when they get them. Why buy a nice bike and then hardly ever ride it? It seems like bikes that mostly only see race miles are often highly specialized. Like a time trial or track bike.

Although with road bikes especially, I think a fair number of people have 'B' bikes they ride in the winter.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

PRETENDURO
    WOOPS!!! I guess I did do a race on the 38 pound heavy bike afterall (almost forgot about that!!!):
    MeOnFatty
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I have a few bikes. So yes and no.

I only have one bike in each class. Any training I do on a mountain bike is on the same one I race. Same goes for 'cross, road and track.
    I'm the same. 3 bikes: MTB, Road, and Cross. I race all of them.

The road bike does get the brunt of ride time since I try to do most my training bike commuting.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Same bike.

It's important to be very familiar with your equipment when racing...

I always try out the new, lighter, potentially weaker stuff with a significant amout training time before racing on it. I'd hate to through away my entry fee, invested time, and travel costs because of a mechanical I could have avoided.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by brentos View Post
    Same bike.

It's important to be very familiar with your equipment when racing...

I always try out the new, lighter, potentially weaker stuff with a significant amout training time before racing on it. I'd hate to through away my entry fee, invested time, and travel costs because of a mechanical I could have avoided.
    I think I'm feeling the opposite. The light wheels and pedals and bars are fine at XC speeds, but when I pin it I worry that my steerer will break, my rims fold and tires roll off, and the I groomed trails that rip off an X0 or XTR derailleur bother me.

I'll have to see what I can budget, because from the sounds of it I have a total different idea of playing on my bike during a training ride than what's suggested.

Thanks!
    believe in yourself! I believe in you!

Fat-tired Roadie
    OP, how long have you been racing? What category are you in?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I'm a racing noob and this is technically my first off season. The majority of my training is done on the road bike. When training in the woods I ride my rigid SS because its super fun and I get a great workout on it. I raced our series this year on a 29 hardtail.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I train and race on the same bike for each discipline... whether it be mountain, road, or time trial. The differences between my two mountain bikes is pretty big ('12 Giant Rainer 29er HT vs. '13 Spec Epic Expert Carbon 29er FS), so I don't think it would be good to switch back and forth when it comes to race day (Epic is my "race" bike, aka one I ride all the time).

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    I race and train on the same Mountain bike, I have two sets of wheels - training wheels and racing wheels. I feel you need to use the same mountain bike so you build your skills using the exact same equipment.
    Yet, I do get a ton of training in on my Road and Cyclocross bikes as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    One bike with extra training wheels. It's a lot cheaper to have training wheels then to have a whole extra bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I don't know anyone that has a training and race bike. Road and cross is a different story but unless your getting bikes for free i don't think anyone has two identical or nearly identical bikes for training and XC racing.

mtbr member
    Same bike here too.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Same here as we'll. I have several bikes and raced all but the road bike last year. Closest thing to a training bike is my 12 year old road bike that just gets trainer duty now.

Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    I'm the same. 3 bikes: MTB, Road, and Cross. I race all of them.

The road bike does get the brunt of ride time since I try to do most my training bike commuting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast