mtbr member
    Sep 2009

How many are running a carbon fork on their XC bike?

I've got a reba fork with a lockout and I race and ride with it "locked" more than unlocked. I figure I could save at least 2.5 lbs. by picking up a carbon fork. I know the SS hardtail folks are using the carbon fork quite a bit but how about the rest of you hardtailers?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    You mean rigid?
    Pedal through it!

Bro Mountainbiker
    I love riding rigid. I have been for 3 years. The trick is just cramming in high volume rubber and run it at lower pressure. I would rather have fat tires than suspension. They just ride better.

The only time I feel a disadvantage is on sustained downhills and extremely chunky rocky sections. But that can be made up for on the climbs and smoother sections.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Bro Mountainbiker
    Better yet, I love having a light bike that is a super firm and efficient pedaling platform.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mnoutain bkie rdier
    To OP..

When NINER first released the Sir 9, I snatched one up and built it up with a Pace 29er carbon rigid fork. Raced it at Sea Otter the following month..

Sheepo is right. Make sure you run tubeless, wide, high volume, low psi up front.

I didn't at the time because tubes were still the standard back then and the ride was too unforgiving for me.

Seems like with the selection of tires today and low psi setups, it would be pretty nice!

If you already run your suspension fork locked out mostly, then it seems like the likely next step for you. The steering will be very precise too....and quite a bit of weight reduction for ya also!

The carbon steer tube on a mtb freaks me out a little. Probably shouldn't, but it does...

mtbr member

How many are running a carbon fork on their XC bike?

Been riding a Whiskey No 7 carbon fork on my 29er, an El Mariachi set up 2x10. Love it.

spec4life???..smh...
    I switch back and forth between a 100mm Reba and a Niner rigig carbon fork on my Niner Air 9. I really like the rigid for the weight and precision, but like the Reba at times for longer rougher rides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i just rode sea otter xc cat 3 with my suspension "locked". the my suspension still does quite a bit of moving which softens the punishment.

mtbr member
    For me it all depends on the course. It's great for any trail that doesn't have a lot of loose rocky downhill sections. I run at least a 2.3 up front with as low a pressure as I can get away with.

mtbr member
    I recently built up a sir 9 with a carbon rdo fork. I've raced two XC races, a 50 mile and a six hour race. I plan on racing it all season.

I run a 2.4 racing ralph at 20 pounds of pressure. Big tires and low pressure make all the difference.
    Btw, competetive cyclist has 2.4 racing Ralph's for $45 right now.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I haven't done it myself. But a couple of guys here have switched to a rigid forks, they weren't any quicker on the climbs but they were significant slower on the descents.

Interestingly when they switched back to suspension forks it took them a long time, like a couple of years, to get back up to speed on the descents.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Remembering the days when fully rigid wasn't an optional setup I wouldn't want to go back to a non suspension front end. Keeping the front wheel on the ground (rear is another question) is pretty important on the rock and root strewn trails I ride.. Unless you're talking about a very smooth course, I really don't think you'll gain that much on climbs or flats and you'll loose a lot on down hills. Even with 2.4 tires you'll not have the same comfort and control asa well set up, high quality suspension fork, plus, those big tires are heavy and if you run them at too low pressure the sidewalls start to flex a lot under cornering. I have a wheel set with 2.4 Continental X-kings that I use for general riding and the difference in speed between those and my race wheels is pretty significant.

But OTOH, what the hell, give it a go. Try it yourself and form your own opinion.