mtbr member
    Sep 2011

How do you know where you are at in the field?

If you win, do you know that you have won?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If you are strong enough to win, you probably have a decent start and have a pretty good idea of where you are from the front. If you're top 5 after the start it's pretty easy to keep track, even with passing the slower riders in other groups that left prior. Last race I asked the leader if he was the leader when I caught up with him after not a great start, just to be sure (ended up 3rd by less than 4 sec in that one, working my way up from about 10th). Unless you are in sight of the leaders the whole time and/or have an accurate count and know who's there, or you have gained the lead and know it, you might have to wait for results.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Race Pro, and lead the race from start to finish. Otherwise its kinda hard. Even when I lead my group from the starting line There are people passing from other catagorys and its hard to know what category they are racing. I find it easiest to keep track when I stay about 4th or 5th from the start. Keep the leaders in sight and then you know who is up there that you need to catch.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Won a cat 2 race once and didn't know it till the reults went up, thought I was second or third.
    In cat one it's not a problem since I'm in the back of the pack....
    Usually I just ask if I catch someone what place or Age they are if I'm not sure .
    Unless it's like top 5 I tend to get confused too

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Tell your race organizers to start marking the legs of racers with pen. For example, everyone in field 8 will have an 8 on their calf.

I'd rather be riding
    But then we look like triathletes. *Shudders*

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by zippinveedub View Post
    Haha..nice. Actually you officially need at least three numbers to look like a tri geek.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zippinveedub View Post
    I wish I could +rep you again for that comment.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    I was thinking leg markings, too.

Or be a woman. Around here at least, our fields are way smaller, and even with Cat 2 and Cat 1 on the course at the same time I know most by name.

AZ
    banned
    I finish at the back so there are no questions or discrepancies.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    In AZ, they use leg markings. Number/Letter = Wave/Category. Mine has been 3D. Wave 3/Cat350+. I usually have a good idea how many in my class are in front of me so when I pass someone, or get passed I know whethter it affects my placing or not.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    Some races in my area use calve numbers some don't. I do like the numbers when they do them. It makes it way easier for me to judge if I should put in the extra effort to catch the guy 20 yards ahead or not.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I think the calf numbers help a lot. I didn't realize other places didn't use them. It does take a couple days to come off though.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I race cat 1 and count the number of riders that I see going into the woods in front of me and estimate from there. Im usually in the top half of the pack so it's not terribly difficult to get close. After the first lap I have a Coach/ team mate / family member tell me and give me gap times to the group / groups in front of me. So its not really an issue for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    I think the calf numbers help a lot. I didn't realize other places didn't use them. It does take a couple days to come off though.
    Rubbing alcohol will take it right off!

I did a race that used them for the first time, and once I got over amusing myself with triathlete jokes, I found it really useful. Ours were class and age group. It was just nice to see who I was passing and what group they were in. My class only had 3 other women so I easily knew my position, I just liked seeing who I was passing.

mtbr member
    When I have done triathlons I pretend I don't know the rubbing alcohol trick. ;-) I just scrub it with soap so it looks like I tried to wash it off. Then I wait for folks to ask about it. lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KAriadne View Post
    When I have done triathlons I pretend I don't know the rubbing alcohol trick. ;-) I just scrub it with soap so it looks like I tried to wash it off. Then I wait for folks to ask about it. lol
    Haha! I only scrubbed mine off because I was doing a road race the next day and didn't want to confuse people. You know roadies... :P I'm sure after my race this weekend I'll rock the permanent marker ""XC 30" for quite awhile!

mtbr member

How do you know where you are at in the field?

Your right, it's Absolutly confusion during a race.
    Since you really can't know, think of it this way. Simply ride your absolute best race, try not to get passed, and just hang on and pass as many people as you can.
    It's about fun above all else. I finished dead last of all cat 2's the other week, and I don't care, it was a complete blast.
    Think about this way, why worry, simply do your absolute best and then let it go. If ya finish then you can see times and see how much faster you would have had to go. So maybe you finish 3 minutes out if the top ten, better training will help. Say you finish 45 minutes out of the top spot, then you realize you are out classed. But still have fun with it.

Bill

Fat-tired Roadie
    The time I won, I didn't know until they called me up to receive a prize. It was a smaller event and all the Sport riders started at the same time. I knew I was doing well, but I wasn't leading the entire wave, and I wasn't sure who else was in my AG.

I'd rather "beat" someone I didn't have to than lose a place because I thought the guy was in a different category or AG.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

XC Hack
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    Tell your race organizers to start marking the legs of racers with pen. For example, everyone in field 8 will have an 8 on their calf.
    It's very handy knowing who's who. I've used it to my advantage.