I Need A New Bike

New question here. How To Build A Wind Trainer?

Hello all, My highschool is doing a 24-hour bike-a-thon for raise money for cancer research. We are required to have a bike and a "wind-trainer" to participate since it will happen in the gym (I would do it outdoors...) Anyways, being a student without a job, does anyone know how to build a wind trainer? i have the necessary equipment at school to to build one eg. welder, grinders, cutters. etc. i believe building a frame to support the rear wheel will be simple, but does anyone know how to build the thingy that provides the resistance?, i was thinking of building or buying some type of enclosure filled with a fluid(most likely oil) with a Metal turbine type thing attached to another small wheel, and the fluid will provide the resistance(kind of how torque convertors in automatic cars work). or possibly attaching an old automorive part such as a junk alternator to provide the resistance(and generate some power also ) Any input is greatly appreciated

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

I would stick with wind

Great article I have not built a trainer, but I think using a fan for resistance sounds much easier than making a fluid resistance. You may also be glad to have the "Wind" in a gym full of sweaty bodies. Good Cause, hope you raise lots of money.

I Need A New Bike
    Thanks for the website, i know now that using air as a souce of resistance is another option (and it's probably easier to build also) Thank you!