Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    CB2
    Jam Econo

How is 10 speed treating you

Every time a cog has been added there has always been a Luddite outcry.

Cogs and chains are too thin, spacing too close, no mud clearance, etc.

I've heard these arguments going back to 7 speed. They probably started earlier, but I didn't start riding a mtb until 1993.
    This season has been rather muddy here in the Northeast and there seems to be a plethora of drivetrain carnage; broken and bent chains as well as chain suck galore. The last multi-speed drivetrain I raced was 8 speed (9 speed had just come out and they were just giving away XTR 12/32 8 speed cassettes), and I personally had no drivetrain issues.
    Was I just lucky, or are the Luddites on to something? Is the added range without the large jumps worth things being (perceived) more finicky? Or is it smooth like butta and some people just don't know how to set it up correctly?

(please state what conditions you have raced it in)

Drop in?... Anyone?
    Out here in CO we had our first true XC race (a 23 mile loop at WP). The conditions were pretty muddy in some spots... enough to cause some drive train carnage. The 10 speed (X9/XO) set up was flawless. There was no noticable drop in shifting performance. I did hear others (and I don't know what set up they were running) complaining that shifting was horrible due to the mud. (Note; I did plan for the conditions and ran a wet lube on my chain, and I know it was a smart move).

Great race, great 10 speed performance

I gotta say... I really think the 2x10 set up is far superior to my 3x9. I hope this sounds right... it's just more ridable... it makes more sense... it's a smart idea!

...and yes... smooth like butta

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'd love to hear what everyone has to say on this to. Has anyone got any experience with 3 x 10? I cant decide between an older bike with a gorgeous colour scheme IMO with 3x9 or the newer model.

I rode both at my LBS and I imagine any difference I thought I could feel was in my head

mtbr member
    I haven't been riding the new 10 spd stuff but one guy that I ride with bent his hanger pretty bad, I didn't think I was going to be able to straighten it out to work well for the 10 spd, but not a problem. Two weeks later and shifting for him is still perfect. I was quite surprised.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    2x10 seems to make a lot more sense for racing than 3x10.

I spend 99% of the time on the middle and granny of my 3x9 and would prefer the simplicity of a double front ring.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I got 220 miles on an XT front/XTR rear before I needed any adjustments. Thinking of switching to 1x10 though to drop weight. I've been training on a singlespeed road bike and have learned I'm faster mashing in the middle ring vs. spinning in the granny up hills, and the trails around here rarely get fast enough to where I spin out the middle ring.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    It is still early days but 10 speed appears to have some serious durability issues (for both major manufactures). Everyone likes the range that comes with it but I question if the extra cog was necessary or wise.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hahaha thats why i roll on a 9sp 11-36 Ti casset from Nino and it rocks big time been on it for couple months shifts great and at 212 grams iam happy. Glad i didn't drop the coin on a whole new drivetrain just a casset. Thats just my 2cent.
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    It is still early days but 10 speed appears to have some serious durability issues (for both major manufactures). Everyone likes the range that comes with it but I question if the extra cog was necessary or wise.
    In the words of one Shimano rep when asked why 10 speed?: "to sell more bike parts."

Probably a wider range 9spd cassette and more dedicated 2x 9spd crank options would have been better for the consumer.

Put me down as a 10 spd Luddite...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katefromaus View Post
    I'd love to hear what everyone has to say on this to. Has anyone got any experience with 3 x 10? I cant decide between an older bike with a gorgeous colour scheme IMO with 3x9 or the newer model.

I rode both at my LBS and I imagine any difference I thought I could feel was in my head
    Any performance difference between the two is going to be psychological. You could always buy the older model bike and upgrade the right hand shifter, rear derailleur, cassette and chain to 10 speed at a later date. You can get 11-32 and 11-34 10 speed cassettes so that the spread of gearing remains the same as on your old bike but with a tighter midrange. A 10 speed cassette doesn't automatically have to mean using an 11-36 cassette. A 10 speed chain will run on "9 speed" chainrings and the freehub width is the same for 9 and 10 speed cassettes so you can use the same wheel.

Reliability wise my 2011 SRAM X-0 10 speed rear shifting with a Shimano Deore XT triple chainset has been fine. The gears haven't needed adjusting and are still working well. It isn't as though adding an extra rear sprocket has made me go any faster, but it hasn't created any new issues over my previous 9 speed shifting either. It has been remarkably dry here so far this year though.

The 2011 SRAM X-0 10 speed trigger shifters small upshift buttons seem to be more positive than my older 2009 SRAM X-0 9 speed trigger shifters were. I'd always end up mis-shifting multiple gears on upshifts with the 2009 X-0 trigger shifters (same issue with 2008 X-9 trigger shifters also) but it hardly ever happens with the 2011 X-0 trigger shifters.

For me that's been a big improvement making it well worth upgrading from the 2009 9 speed SRAM X-0 trigger shifters. I originally fitted 2011 Shimano Deore XT Dynasys 10 speed but after hand problems caused by the Shimano shift levers went back to SRAM X-0 triggers again. My hands have been fine since then as you can customise the SRAM X-0 lever position.

My New S-work Epic impressions

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    3+ gear shifts crunch more than with my old x-9/pg-990(11-32) gears, but a lot of this is getting used to the xx shifter.

With very little front shifting it is nice to go from climbing all the way to top speed on my 38 tooth main ring.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    hmmm... 10 speed has been great for me.

just replaced the original chain.

i would say that our season has been much harsher than typical Socal conditions.

First race on the new bike (Kenda Cup West #1 Sagebrush)

Last race for the chain that was just replaced (Kenda Cup West #6 Santa Ynez)

maybe i am just magical. kind of like my experience with Crank Brothers pedals. (not all their stuff works for me, i hate the Joplin, total waste of big money.
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have 35+ hours in all conditions on my new x0/x9 2x10 set up. I will never go back. Shifting in the rear has been far better than any of my 7,8 or 9 speed set ups. Durability? We will see. With more cogs in the rear I expect life of a cassett to increase. (10%?) Chain life? I'll know by the end of summer.

The only shifting issue I have experienced was a branch lodging between cogs. That made the chain skip on that gear. Pulled the stick out and all was gtg.
    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

The Missing
    May 2007
    no issues for me so far season and a half of use and everything is still shifting like butter.

Sram XX 11-36 10 speed 2 x 10 up front

I put on a shimano crank up front a few months back lighter and looks better IMO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've been using SRAM 2x10 for 2 years. Love it. No reason to go back to 3x9 for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    So far I haven't seen anyone who rides 2x10 or 3x10 complain so maybe there aren't too many issues.

LMN - not being confrontational but do you have anything to back that comment up? Would be really interested.

I agree 3x10 is probably very silly but as predicted bikes are already starting to come with this as standard. At least in my price range.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Katefromaus View Post
    So far I haven't seen anyone who rides 2x10 or 3x10 complain so maybe there aren't too many issues.

LMN - not being confrontational but do you have anything to back that comment up? Would be really interested.

I agree 3x10 is probably very silly but as predicted bikes are already starting to come with this as standard. At least in my price range.
    Funny enough this topic came up tonight. Definitely a lot more broken chains, and complaints of chain suck.

One racer was telling a story about a relatively dry race where everyone in the lead group suffered from chain suck at some point. Something that "wouldn't have happened last year".

Btw I am still a fan of the traditional triple. I don't need the large big ring but I have done many rides where I have spent a lot of time in the 22 x 34. if you were to do a race like trans Rockies you would die without a granny gear even if you happen to be a half decent pro.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

(he thinks he can)
    May 2009
    love the drivetrain minus the increase chain slap i get..
    08 SS c'dale f4
    07 Prophet
    10 Yeti DJ
    Yeti Arc-x
    11 Yeti asr5-c
    ..and they place nice together!

Team Awesome
    I'm running 1 x 10, and have a pretty decent amount of race and ride time on the drivetrain, and I've had no problems. Like none.

Those hours include 2 muddy WVMBA races, 4 or 5 hard weekday races, a bunch of long, fast rides, and plenty of normal dinking around.

I know that bikerumor has a chain-wear test going. I'm notoriously hard on stuff, but I've had no problems with any of my 10 speed stuff on the cx bike or my mtb... just my experience.

Drop in?... Anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    if you were to do a race like trans Rockies you would die without a granny gear even if you happen to be a half decent pro.
    um.... without what? (2x10's come in 24/38, 26/39, 28/42)... pick your poison.

The range is pretty much the same if you want it to be.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How is 10 speed treating you-22-32-44.jpg  

How is 10 speed treating you-24-38.jpg  

Last edited by strat819; 06-30-2011 at 07:02 AM.

likes to ride bikes
    44-32-22 triples were designed for old 7-speed mountain bikes with 11-24 cassettes in the back, come on, the granny/horse has been dead and beaten for years. If you really still need a triple you're better off walking.

I am definitely a masher and was surprised to see how strong my Wipperman 10so chain has been. That said, I have a wheelset and now a chain that are race-day only.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by TunicaTrails View Post
    44-32-22 triples were designed for old 7-speed mountain bikes with 11-24 cassettes in the back,
    No one ran a 11/24 back in the day; 12/28 for micro drive or Shimano compact. The hot ticket back then was to run a normal range (11/30, or 12/32) with Micro / Compact cranks and have a real wall climber.

It sounds like 10 speed is as reliable as it's predecessors. I just built a bike with 10 speed 105 for a friend and was highly impressed. Shifted nicer than 9 speed Dura Ace. It good to hear that for the majority of you 10 speed is working out just fine.

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by playpunk View Post
    I'm running 1 x 10, and have a pretty decent amount of race and ride time on the drivetrain, and I've had no problems. Like none.

Those hours include 2 muddy WVMBA races, 4 or 5 hard weekday races, a bunch of long, fast rides, and plenty of normal dinking around.

I know that bikerumor has a chain-wear test going. I'm notoriously hard on stuff, but I've had no problems with any of my 10 speed stuff on the cx bike or my mtb... just my experience.
    What 1x10 gearing do you run? 26" or 29"?

Team Awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by estabro View Post
    What 1x10 gearing do you run? 26" or 29"?
    29" 33t front ring (blackspire SS ring) MRP 1.x chainguide, and SLX 11-36 rear cassette.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TunicaTrails View Post
    44-32-22 triples were designed for old 7-speed mountain bikes with 11-24 cassettes in the back, come on, the granny/horse has been dead and beaten for years. If you really still need a triple you're better off walking.
    ... said by someone from a flat state.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast