Thread: Hour record

Just Ride

Hour record

Not really mtb related, but it's racing related.

I watched "The Flying Scotsman" last night and I did a search on the guy featured, Graeme Obree. I didn't realize it was based on real life. I knew the record thing was real, but a bike made of washing machine parts? Crazy!

So I got to looking at the different records, more specifically the current one. Chris Boardman. 56.375 km = roughly 35 miles. Which from grade school math means he was mashing out 35 mph for an hour straight! All you can do is respect that! Cadence was 105! Talk about suffering...
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Eddy Merck's record on a standard track bike without aero bars of just under 30 miles stood for more than 10 years until Moser broke it in the early 1980's with disc wheels and aero bars.

Merckx's record was one of the great sporting accomplishments of the century.

Just Ride
    I didn't read into all the details of each record attempt. But to me everyone who's beaten the record has achieved greatness! Forgot to post the link above:
    The Hour Record

This must be the record of which you speak?
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

\m/{-_-}\m/
    That movie is streaming on Netflix if anyone wants to watch it. Looks like I know what I'm doing tonight!

mtbr member
    I think to have the official record now it has to be done on a "standard" track bike. They wanted to take technology out of it. I don't think Boardmans time is the official record.

mtbr member
    Boardman did break Merchx's record on a "standard" bike in 2000 by going 49.441km vs Merchx's 49.431km. Then Ondřej Sosenka broke Boardman's record in 2005 with a 49.700km effort.

Ondrej is 6'7" tall, weighs nearly 200lbs and rode with 190mm cranks.

Well, I don't have enough posts to post a link. So, google "hour record wiki" for a little more history on this subject.