mtbr member

Hot temps harming training???

For the past 4 months all my rides have been in 35-55 degree weather. I ride 2-3x per week anywhere from 45 min to 2.5 hrs.

Last week the temps jumped up from 55 to 85 with nothing in between. My first ride in the warmer weather was 91 degrees. I suffered and felt nauseous the whole time. My HR was a consistant 20-25 beats higher than normal with the same effort. Evey ride since that one has been in 82+ degrees and has been really difficult.

Is there a time window for the body to adjust to the heat? Usually it gradually gets warmer here and I adjust naturally but not this year. I feel like I'm back at square one as far as my fitness goes and it doesn't make any sense to me.

Any suggestions or advise??

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Heat adaptation occurs very quickly. Depending on how your body responds it takes three to seven days to adapt. The trick is too make sure you that you get your core temperature up for an hour for a couple of day in a row.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

Dirty South Underdog
    ^what he said

If you want to stay "adapted" during the winter, try going to hot yoga 1-2 days per week. It's good cross-training, too.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

Bro Mountainbiker
    Heat Acclimatization

Read this if you are interested in the ex physiology behind heat acclimatization.

***Edit, read this regardless. It answers all your questions and explains why.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Did you increase your hydration?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trap121 View Post
    Is there a time window for the body to adjust to the heat? Usually it gradually gets warmer here and I adjust naturally but not this year. I feel like I'm back at square one as far as my fitness goes and it doesn't make any sense to me.

Any suggestions or advise??
    Maybe this Joe Friel article will help

"#1. Acclimate. It takes about 10 to 14 days of frequent exposure to heat for your body to adapt. During this period of time workout daily in hot conditions at a lower-than-normal intensity. After a couple of weeks of near-daily exposure to hot conditions you will begin perform better in the heat than prior although performance will still likely be diminished from what you might have done in cooler conditions." Joe Friel

Joe Friel - Training and Racing in the Heat