mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Home weight training equipment ?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at racing XC marathon and would like to include weight training to my routine, especially for the winter months. I would rather pay to get my own equipment and do everything at home instead of paying a huge amount on gym subscription. I live in an apartment so space in a bit limited so I would like to know what kind of basic equipment I would need to create a weight training routine that would be beneficial to my riding ?

Here's what I had in mind: A basic flat/inclining bench ; dumbbells with different weight combination, a bench press bar with varying weights.

Am I forgetting something ?

Any good training routine that you use that you would recommend ?

I already own a turbo trainer so I'm really just looking at buying weight related equipment.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Cheers!

Grip it and rip it.
    Really, forget all the benches and dumb-bells IMO, all you need it a TRX. If you don't know what it is google it, but its the most versatile piece of equipment I own for workouts. That and a swiss gym ball for extra core work is all you need.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Damitletsride! View Post
    Really, forget all the benches and dumb-bells IMO, all you need it a TRX. If you don't know what it is google it, but its the most versatile piece of equipment I own for workouts. That and a swiss gym ball for extra core work is all you need.
    Thanks for the advice. Does this system works well only when the door anchor is use ? I've never tried this kind of equipment before so I'm a little hesitant, espcially since the system retails for over 200$, which seems quite expensive for what it is ?

So from your experience you really think training with the TRX would be far more beneficial than more conventional weight equipment ?

Thanks again !

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    TRX is great, but I bought into CrossFit, drank the koolaid, and $500 later have this: http://distilleryimage2.s3.amazonaws...0a9f139a_7.jpg

Pull up bar
    Olympic rings
    Ab Mat
    Kettlebells
    Olympic Bar + bumper plates
    24" jump box

With that equipment I can do 99% of the WOD CrossFit exercises.

Grip it and rip it.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRS_Comp1 View Post
    So from your experience you really think training with the TRX would be far more beneficial than more conventional weight equipment ?

Thanks again !

I only use mine with the door mount, it works fine for me, you just have to be careful what side you mount it. It's fine if its pulling against the door frame but I wouldn't use it if it was pulling away from the door frame, potentially pulling the door out.

200 bucks might seem like a lot but its so versatile, and you can make it as easy or hard as you like as you advance more. And unlike weights etc, you won't out grow it, if you buy weights you'll probably end up having to buy extra or more weights as you gain strength.
    I use my TRX 2-3 times a week for about 15 minutes and that's all I seem to need. Been using it for just over a year now and I've noticed my upper body is in much better shape, a lot more toned but I haven't gained a huge amount of mass so I don't look like the guys off Jersey Shore, which I don't really want to be like anyway.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Lifts that are scientifically proven to improve riding (done supplemental to riding):

-half squat
    -leg press with one leg at a time
    -one-legged hip flexion
    -ankle plantar flexion

You can do all of these with pretty minimal equipment.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Well the TRX system do look like a great alternative to more conventional weight training but my biggest concern is that if I place the system on the correct side of the door I don't seem to have enough room to actually do the movement (my apartment is an open concept and all the door seem to open in a way that would force me to exercise in the hallway that are pretty narrow).

I would also love to be able to install a pull up bar but like I said I'm quite limited space wise since I live on the third floor of a apartment building, which is not ideal.

Is there any alternative to the TRX that someone could recommend that would work for me and do not take much space ?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    What about kettle bell ? I've been reading that they really provide a full body workout. Anyone have tried James Wilson kettle bell MTB conditioning ?

MTB Kettlebell Conditioning | Kettlebell Workouts for Mountain Biking

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've done both P90X and P90X2 and the X2 videos are really good. Lots of full body training, especially the core, and not much equipment is needed. I skipped the plyo video and either did Sufferfest on the trainer or an Insanity video.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You can do a ton of work with just 2 dumbells - upper, lower body, push, pull etc. I've been doing a lot of kettlebell work to strengthen my back - with 35 and 50 pound kettlebells you could also get a full workout. Suggestions above also good. In short, you can do a lot with very little equipment.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Well the TRX system do look like a great alternative to more conventional weight training but my biggest concern is that if I place the system on the correct side of the door I don't seem to have enough room to actually do the movement (my apartment is an open concept and all the door seem to open in a way that would force me to exercise in the hallway that are pretty narrow).

I would also love to be able to install a pull up bar but like I said I'm quite limited space wise since I live on the third floor of a apartment building, which is not ideal.

Is there any alternative to the TRX that someone could recommend that would work for me and do not take much space ?

Thanks!
    Maybe you could fit one of these?

Home weight training equipment ?-argos_chin_up_bar.jpg

It's very cheap (ours cost a tenner) and just screws into the door jamb on either side so takes up virtually no space. The side fixings are minimal and stay put, so it's very quick to remove it if you want to.

We have one and I was thinking that with a rope around it you could do TRX style one-legged squats etc. too.

mtbr member

Home weight training equipment ?

Here are some grip strength exercise videos that you could try (google motocross arm pump). Doing forearm and grip strength work can help you to hold onto the bike when it's bumpy.

Wrist Roller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Px4qH-HXI

Wrist curls palm up and palm down - by rolling the dumbbell onto your fingertips it helps with grip strength.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMJ4zIZzZxY

Tricep extensions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1ohswSdVZs

Motocross arm pump

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl00Q...layer_embedded

mtbr member
    A kettlebell and a pull up bar.

mtbr member
    Lift yourself. Google body weight exercises. Do yoga, plyometrics, core work. Do something completely different just to do something different and fun. Maybe swimming or basketball... whatever appeals to you. Check out P90X, Insanity, Asylum, etc videos. There is a ton of stuff you can do with minimal or even zero equipment.
    Also, if you do lift weights, especially heavy weights, get someone to show you the correct form. It's easy to lift something the wrong way and ruin yourself for two weeks.

Always Learning
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking at racing XC marathon and would like to include weight training to my routine, especially for the winter months. I would rather pay to get my own equipment and do everything at home instead of paying a huge amount on gym subscription. I live in an apartment so space in a bit limited so I would like to know what kind of basic equipment I would need to create a weight training routine that would be beneficial to my riding ?

Here's what I had in mind: A basic flat/inclining bench ; dumbbells with different weight combination, a bench press bar with varying weights.

Am I forgetting something ?

Any good training routine that you use that you would recommend ?

I already own a turbo trainer so I'm really just looking at buying weight related equipment
    Bench, squat rack, floor mat(s), olympic bar, excerise ball, bands, weights for the bar, and various hand held weights. I did the same thing as you in terms of weighing the cost of an annual gym membership vs. the purchase of my own gear. In my case, it also involved other family members who would be using the equipment - so the upfront cost may have totalled an annual or maybe two year membership fee for a family of 4. However, it's more than paid for itself in 10 years and then some - and has many more years to go.

HomeGymWeights

HomeGymBike

It gets a lot of use year round with the weights, bikes, and treadmill. Big screen television in the basement as well - so staying entertained while working out is not an issue.

mtbr member
    To both the guys that posted their home gyms - Awesome! Enjoy them.

Give it a crank
    With limited apartment space, you're best bet is to start off with bodyweight and dumbbell exercises. A bench needs space for using it and storing it, some bench exercises can be done standing or on a floor mat instead. Adjusting your routine to your available living space is the key. There are many, many websites with great tips, here's some of my favorites.

http://www.exercise.com/exercises
    Prison Workout | Mark's Daily Apple
    Core Performance | Powered by Athletes' Performance
    Dumbbell Exercises | Dumbbell-Exercises.com

AZ
    banned
    Kettle bells.

mtbr member
    I just did P90X Core Synergistics. One of the hardest moves is Prison Cell pushups. Plank to Chatarunga run is also brutal. All you need to lift is your body.