Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    g3h6o3

Home gym - The essentials

Hello folks,
    I'm moving to a new house this weekend, a much bigger house in which we'll have a proper home gym. Hurray! We'll be looking at buying some weights and machines to complement our cycling and running training. My girlfriend isn't so much into serious training although she is training for a half marathon and I expect her to catch on once the gym is setup good.

So we already have a treadmill and a Road Machine trainer. We might add a second trainer for my GF if she wants one next winter. There's a used Weider 8530 close from the house I was looking to possibly buy but it takes up so much space we are not sure it's the best option. With that said, I was wondering what people consider the essentials for a home gym. Freewieghts all the way? Yoga balls? Chin-up bar? Multi-station?

So let's hear it: what do you consider an essential purchase for a home gym? What's the most versatile? What's the most cost effective?
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

lgh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Squat rack with built in pull up bar. You can also set your rollers up in the rack.

Bench

Kettlebells and some free weights

Floor mat in case you drop weights (rubber barn mat works perfect)

No weight machines (although I might add a rowing machine to my space.) Save the money you would spend on machines for cool bike stuff, for instruction from a professional trainer, or for romantic stuff with your GF.

I've had lots of different stuff in my home gyms. This is the only stuff that has stood the test of time. You can buy it all for less than a single machine. Buy good used equipment and you will be fine and save a lot of money.

Larry

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Free weights!

mtbr member
    rowing machine... I want one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lgh View Post
    Squat rack with built in pull up bar. You can also set your rollers up in the rack.

Bench

Kettlebells and some free weights

Floor mat in case you drop weights (rubber barn mat works perfect)

No weight machines (although I might add a rowing machine to my space.) Save the money you would spend on machines for cool bike stuff, for instruction from a professional trainer, or for romantic stuff with your GF.

I've had lots of different stuff in my home gyms. This is the only stuff that has stood the test of time. You can buy it all for less than a single machine. Buy good used equipment and you will be fine and save a lot of money.

Larry
    +1

I'd also add some bands to that list. Planning to put a gym in next year and that's the exact list I'm looking at. Only other thing I'd add is a TRX as I really like some of the exercises you can do with it plus it's great for travel but not a must have.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    If you are working out at home a rubber floor, dumbbells and a good bench is really all you need for the basics. Moving up from that I'd recommend a loaded power rack with high and low pulleys. A power rack can be used in lieu of a spotter if set up properly and religiously.

What are your goals though? For some weights are secondary to a good treadmill, climber, elliptical, rower etc.

Definitely second-hand is the way to go...so many deals out there especially now.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You must get a good cage, must! Then get a good multi adjustable bench that you can use in the cage and out. A free standing lat pull down machine, you know one with a high and low pulley. Pro style dumbells, olympic weight set with straight bar and curl bar. Preacher bench. A leg extension leg curl machine. Then a tread mill of course.

I spent the last few years putting together a pretty respectable gym with those items and believe it is all you need to work everything and get in shape. Serves me well.

Team Awesome
    The only really essential things Kettlebells and a nice pullup bar (stud bar, or something similar.) You can do everything you *need* to do for off-bike fitness with those things - pullups, pushups, swings, goblet squats, TGU, deck squats, burpees...

A well-equipped home gym would also have a ski erg or rowing machine, dumbells and a nice barbell and bumpers. Gymnastics rings are sweet, and I am planning on putting brackets in the ceiling for rock rings and a homemade TRX. A GHD is on my list as well.

There are some sweet home gyms out there... You don't need much to get strong, if that's your goal. If your goal is enough off-bike fitness to make the rest of your life easier, you need even less stuff. If you want to be fast on the bike and don't care about anything else, you really don't need any of this stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Good rug, yoga strap, some free weights...that is it.

A rowing machine might be good for the back???

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Some kettle bells, a cable cross machine, and a yoga mat would be all that I'd have in my dream home gym. Some power cords or a trx could substitute for the cable cross, typically cheaper.

WIRVNTANASHRSH?
    free weights 5-60lbs, pull-up bar, yoga mat, tv/computer/stereo, motivation

nice but not necessary: TRX, kettlebells, push up stands

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    forget kettle bells and the other 'crossfit' dogma for a home gym. There is a reason kettle bells went out of style due to flat weight plates...SPACE

Not knocking that kettle bells serve a purpose, they are just a trend though and very impractical for a home gym unless you have a ton of space and money.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    A squat rack and a bench to put in it would be great. Add a set of dumbbells and you have a full gym.

Team Awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by alkemyst View Post
    forget kettle bells and the other 'crossfit' dogma for a home gym. There is a reason kettle bells went out of style due to flat weight plates...SPACE

Not knocking that kettle bells serve a purpose, they are just a trend though and very impractical for a home gym unless you have a ton of space and money.
    This from the guy who is telling you to get an elliptical. And a pulley machine. Both of those things take up way more room than kettlebells, and are just plain silly bullsh*t.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Some resistance bands for lighter days.

A good sturdy built box for some plyo if you have the ceiling height for it.

+1 for Kettle Bells. Weider makes some really good adjustable sets.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    A floor and a pullup bar.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

My wife has a "Jillian Michaels" adjustable kettlebell. Huge space-saver and it does everything she needs it too. Some knock it because of the branding or the fact it is adjustable, but truthfully, it is a good solution for someone wanting to do basic kettlebell work without all the space.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    rollers rollers rollers, i built a set of floating frame rollers ,same idea as e-motion but marketably different.This last winter on the east coast was f'n horrible for cycling but i set up a bike room.Centered on my rollers, i added krietlers "killer headwind" fan attachment to my rollers, that's a huge thing.They add a very realistic resistance and cool you off at the same time.When i'm riding my rollers i'm in my bike room surrounded by my roadbikes and my mountainbikes(xc,am,dh)i was riding for 50-120 minutes 5-6 times a week (approx 90minute average),and it made a HUGE difference in the spring. I quit my gym and i've been doing minimal lifting, just a couple times a week,kind of randomly but probabely on days where i don't bike that hard. I have a curling stand and a cheap rack for pulling down and a benchpress with dumbells. I have a bunch of other things but i think the major point is don't lose track of the goal,bicycling!, don't turn into a powerlifter,don't bulk up, or even over muscle the legs. lean and mean with a good power to weight ratio, and focusing on the aerobic. Push ups for mtb descending and jump landings .Oh yeah, vigorous snow shoveling

lgh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Please explain. Kb's have been around for over a century, long before crossfit. Flat weights are attached to long bars. Long bars take up space, especially when you move them around.

How old are you?

Larry

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    In no particular order:

Plyo Box
    Indo Board Balance Trainer
    Jump Rope
    Chinning Bar
    Rubber flooring
    Good music system
    Kettle bells
    Dip station
    Gymnastic rings

mtbr member
    Power Bock Adjustable Dumbbells
    Squat Rack w/ Pull-up Bar
    Olympic Bar and Plates.
    Adjustable Bench
    Retribution Fitness: Strength, Power, and Purpose
    General fitness workouts posted daily.

mtbr member
    DVD player, tv, water and a bunch of Beachbody workouts or just Google "body weight exercises". If you want to build muscle you'll need to lift heavy things, if you want to get lean your body weight is all you need.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

I have one kettlebell. It takes up roughly 10 square inches on my garage floor. I can use it to get a whole body workout.

They are popular right now, and if that makes them a trend, that's fine. I can tell you from experience that they provide a great functional strength training workout, unlike most weight lifting exercises that are great for bodybuilding and just putting on bulk.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Whambat View Post
    They are popular right now, and if that makes them a trend, that's fine. I can tell you from experience that they provide a great functional strength training workout, unlike most weight lifting exercises that are great for bodybuilding and just putting on bulk.
    Your last statement shows you bought into the crossfit dogma.

Team Awesome
    Your last statement shows you bought into the crossfit dogma.
    it is awesome! and I mean AWESOME! when people on the internet go to ad-hominim attacks as a default!

You are so cool. Thank you for adding to the discussion. You are free of bias, thank you for pointing out that we are all biased.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast