mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Holiday spending cash...take power meter plunge, finally??

Winter is near, weather is bad, structured training about to resume, slowly building new race MTB....then it dawned on me I still train without a power meter.

I've posted questions and read so many opinions. As a Cat 1 mtb I'd sure like to see some improvements and think a power meter on the road bike would be beneficial when combined with quality everything-else.

Did last season see a marked improvement in results due to training with power? Or was it a combination of smaller things adding up?

Leaning toward a G3 New Belgium road rear wheel based on price, convenience and good feedback or a Stages left crank arm.

mtbr member
    exact same situation here. i am heading into my structured training plan again in a couple weeks and instead of training by HR as in the past i am gonna up the ante a bit (gotta do something different if you want better/different results right?) so i just ordered a stages crank arm for my road bike. i plan to use it on the trainer over the winter for my winter volume training and do all my intervals on the road come spring/summer. i probably won't end up with power on the mtb next year so i won't get the benefit of race pacing but i want to see if improving the quality of training with the PM is going to bring measurable results.

fwiw given cost, reviews and the bikes i am working with, i narrowed it down to power2max or stages and eventually went with stages. if you haven't yet, read the DC rainmaker reviews. they are the most in depth and well done reviews i have found.

oh and in case you do go for the stages PM and your training starts soon... don't wait to order as they are currently shipping 4-5 weeks out. for me that means i will be 2 weeks in before it (hopefully) shows up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I have a SRAM elsa PM on my road bike and added a Stages PM on my MTB this summer. I am very happy with the Stages PM. Have done some tests on both bikes and the power readings are very close in all power levels. The Stages PM is a great deal and works well. Enjoy