r99
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Hill repeat recommendations

How many times a week do you do them? How long are the hills? How times do you repeat the hill?
    Two possible hill choices:

2.58 miles 823 elevation gain.
    5.38 miles 1743 elevation gain.

both are well kept dirt roads

I have been riding 5 days a week between 10 and 20 miles.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I would proably do some intervals up the small one, and include the long one, on a long easy ride on the weekend, but switch them up too.

I'm Idaho!
    Mar 2006
    Those are likely too long for hill repeats right now. I would recommend starting at 6 minutes of climbing, 5 reps, with 3 minutes rest in between. Go from there and move your 6 minutes up to 12 over time. Rest = 1/2 work. As you get longer rest becomes a smaller fraction.

That's a random set. You can start with 12 minutes and do it 3 times, or 6 minutes 4 times. The range to play with is 6-12 minutes, 3-5 reps, 20-30 minutes of total climbing to start and go from there.

Dirt Whore
    I gotta pretty cool one buy my house, its about 500 Feet over maybe 3/4 of a mile, then it and i make it into a loop by bombing down single track. I try to do 5 to 10 Climbs one session per week, mostly in the middle ring.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    This is an interesting thread, because I just started doing repeat-hills about a month ago. I basically get on my mtb, and ride two hills in my neighborhood over and over again.

Each one takes about 5 minutes to climb, with a one minute rest as I ride down. Both are road hills, and very steep.

I do them each 6x, for a total of 12 climbs. The workout takes me around 70 minutes. I listen to my iPod to avoid boredom.

I do this workout twice a week. What I've noticed is the hills have become much easier on both the trails and the road. I now climb mainly in my big ring, or in my middle ring when I start to run out of gas.

I'm not sure if this is a smart workout, but I know my legs are a whole lot stronger, and I'm faster on the trail.....

r99
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I plan on doing some repeats tommarow and i will let you guys know how it goes. thanks for the advice

mtbr member
    I've got quite a good one close to my house as well, takes about 2 mins to climb. What I do is push as hard as I can all the way to the top (sitting down), then rest on the way down and do it again. Repeat 10 times. It really gets the legs burning!!

MTB B'dos
    As others have said, those hills are pretty long to be doing repeats on. If those are you're only hills try doing sprints on them as you climb - sprint for 30-60 seconds, then rest 90-120 seconds and just keep that up till you reach the top. If you want to do repeats, find a hill that'll take you a miniute or two to climb max, repeat 3-6 times, rest is how long it takes to get down and maybe a bit more at first till you start to get accustomed to it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

life is a barrel o'fun
    I've got the climbs up the 59th St. Bridge during my commute. While they're not super-steep, I've been doing them in the biggest gear for the past couple of months.

Ditto the hills in Central Park. The one up north around 110th St. is winding and steep, definitely an ordeal especially after two laps.

But I really do need more/better/dirtier/longer/harder hills. The VT50s in what, oh, ten days?
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

Members who have read this thread: 0