mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Hike-a-Bike: techniques

After spending some time huffing and pushing my bike up hills in races at altitude over the last two weeks, I got to wondering what techniques others employ and when they use them. So what do you think are the most efficient means of getting you and your bike up through these sections and when would you employ them? For instance, pushing - more efficient to place both hands up front on the handlebars or handlebar and stem (both seem to produce a bent over position) or one on handlebar and one behind the seat (a more upright position that might improve breathing)? Shouldering vs. pushing? Any other ideas?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Push it till it gets really steep....

Stay on the uphill side of the bike

You can easily use the bars, seat or switch it up...

Put the tip of the saddle over your shoulder (from the rear) grab the down tube bike on downhill side...leaves uphill hand free to grab on to trees rocks etc. (you can let the bike go uphill side if there are no big rocks etc.)

Seems awkward at first, but once you get how to flip it up onto your shoulder it is great

SSOD
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Put the tip of the saddle over your shoulder (from the rear) grab the down tube bike on downhill side...leaves uphill hand free to grab on to trees rocks etc. (you can let the bike go uphill side if there are no big rocks etc.)
    +1 This works well for me and prolly the best technique. Another one I use if this gets uncomfortable is placing the main triangle on the square of your back, with the top tube resting on your shoulders. Grab the rear wheel with your left hand and front wheel with your right and carry it almost like a load of lumber. I don't use this much but its another option.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Plus take very large steps. Does not really take any more effort, but gets you to the top faster.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Depending on the frame geometry & clearance - CX dismounting and carrying techniques might help.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/...ss-bike_137832

Do I personally have experience with this: No. CX bike is coming for this year. Can't wait.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Shouldering CX style doesn't work to me with the smaller triangle plus two bottle cages. Suitcasing is ok but very tiring to the arms, at least for me. The saddle on the shoulder is for sure the best way I have found to carry my mountain bike, but usually I am pushing with both hands on the handlebars if I am off the bike.
    - Simon