mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Highter heart rate, same time

A month ago I completed a local climb in 54'04", and averaged 172-174 bpm. I then took some time off the bike due to a nasty fall; and yesterdad, did the same climb in 54'13", and averaged 176 bpm. The increase in time means fitness loss, but does an increase in average HR good or bad? I think it also means fitness loss, but maybe it's because i was slightly overtrained before. IDK really, any help?

Disgruntled Peccary
    heartrate varies greatly based on a lot of factors... even something as simple as fatigue or dehydration will account for an increased heartrate.. even a 10% increase wouldn't be abnormal as far as I know. You've increased by 2 bpm, that's a .98% increase.
    mike

It's about showing up.

Not a significant difference

from a statistical perspective.

Looks to me like you did very well.

mtbr member
    As stated, a number of things could affect your speed and heart rate beyond your general fitness level and it is also never a constant. If you have a trainer where conditions can be much more closely controlled something to do would be to test your self for an hour steady zone 2/ aerobic riding and see what your heart rate does (J. Friel's coupling/decoupling test). Keep that info and in a month or two try the same exercise at the same speed and see what your heart rate does then. A good sign of fitness would be for your heart rate to not go up significantly during the second half of the ride, and certainly less than the first time you recorded the exercise....
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    As everyone's said, heart rate can and does vary by a substantial amount due to several factors. This is why a lot of people are switching to training by power instead - if you're putting out X number of watts, you're putting out X number of watts, regardless of any other factors. This is an extremely helpful absolute benchmark to train by. The downside is that it's fairly expensive to get started with power meters.
    Alison Dunlap Coaching
    When you're not paid to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotta Know
    A month ago I completed a local climb in 54'04", and averaged 172-174 bpm. I then took some time off the bike due to a nasty fall; and yesterdad, did the same climb in 54'13", and averaged 176 bpm. The increase in time means fitness loss, but does an increase in average HR good or bad? I think it also means fitness loss, but maybe it's because i was slightly overtrained before. IDK really, any help?

Probably forgot to pump up your tires.

gunslinger
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotta Know
    The increase in time means fitness loss, but does an increase in average HR good or bad? I think it also means fitness loss, but maybe it's because i was slightly overtrained before. IDK really, any help?
    As others have said, heart rate can vary on many factors. The fact that you came out of the box only .28% (28/100s) "slower" (time) tells me the time off helped you and that you must be in good shape. Your emotions thru wanting to NOT loose time could have easily bumped your max, but IMO 2bpm isn't a factor.