I'd rather be riding

High Volume Tires?

I've been running 2.3 XR2's on my top fuel and really enjoy the extra cushion and grip! However I notice everyone else at races running like 2.1's or smaller. Who else likes big tires for xc?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zippinveedub View Post
    I've been running 2.3 XR2's on my top fuel and really enjoy the extra cushion and grip! However I notice everyone else at races running like 2.1's or smaller. Who else likes big tires for xc?
    I like the original Renegade (last year's model) from Specialized. The new one works great for the FS, but on the HT the added volume is awesome!
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Seems like 29ers have changed the whole tire game.

I run a 2.2 mountain king front and 2.0 race king rear, both pretty small tires (much smaller than their listed size indicates, especially compared to Kendas), and the grip and control is really something.

I bought this setup for a road/dirt race (wanted less rolling resistance on the road sections), and I've continued to use these to race and ride in fairly technical terrain. This past weekend I rode with some friends of mine and they said they never seen me decend faster; even though I was using these tiny tires.

Maybe lengthening the contact patch gives additional performance improvement, to where not so much volume is needed.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    Maybe lengthening the contact patch gives additional performance improvement, to where not so much volume is needed.
    it is likely the smaller tires for 29ers are being produced to keep the weight within reason. no racer or weight conscious rider is going to buy 900g tires for their light bikes!
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    But at the same time, there is no reason for small tires on a 29er either. The Maxxis Ikon 2.2 is a nice high volume tire and weighs 530 grams for the regular version and just 580g for the EXO sidewall protection version.

Similarly, a Specialized Fast Trak is a decent volume tire and is light (in both the control and S-works versions), they are even doing a 2.2 in the new style for 2012.

Schwalbe Rocket rons are 530grams in a 2.25 and the Racing Ralph is about 570g for a 2.25".

Sure you can go stupid small and light (like the Bontrager XR1 or 29-0). But, you will likely be slower with that small, minimal tread tire. Even the Specialized Renegade 1.95 in 29er size has a pretty decent volume while being about 470g real world weight (S-works version).