Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008

High HR in first 5 minutes of training....

I just got a HR monitor and looking at the graphs I see a very high reading for the first few minutes. I dont feel unwell but can feel a high heart rate when I stopped to check. It settles down quickly and then is static.....am I about to have a heart attack and how quick should I run to the doctors....or should I take a cab!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    If you're having a gentle warm up and seeing high numbers like that then it's likely to be a transmission issue. Make sure the heart rate strap electrodes are wet before you start riding and that the strap is tight enough.

If you're sprinting as hard as you can straight away then they might be accurate, in which case you want to ride more slowly to start with until you're warmed up a bit more. A warm up is important for a few reasons: A steady warmup eases the transition from rest to exercising which is helpful to increase blood flow and hopefully reduce any muscle or tendon injuries. If you start exercising hard straight away it comes as much more of a shock to your body.

There's also a delay of 10-15 minutes between starting aerobic exercise, such as cycling, and your body producing endorphins. Once this happens the exercise begins to feel easier and doesn't hurt as much.

http://www.mens-total-fitness.com/endorphins.html

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/a...nners-High.htm

A cool down at the end of the session is important to decrease body temperature, remove waste products from the exercised muscles and return blood from the exercised muscles to the central circulation.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/warmup.htm
    Last edited by WR304; 09-29-2009 at 03:52 PM.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    I really appreciate your reply, thank you. I definitely need to warm up more I think. As the trail is straight out the back of my home I tend to start off pretty strongly, not sprinting but definitely stronger than a gentle warm up.
    I'll try a more gentle warm up today and see if the graph changes.
    I'll also make sure the electrodes on the strap are well connected. I havent really looked at it before as I just put it on and went.
    I'll read the links you provided too. Thanks for a informative reply.
    Ian

mtbr member
    If you were really pushing 200 BPM, you would know it. You'd hardly be able to breath and you wouldn't be able to keep that up for 0.25 miles. Assuming you're riding 200 BPM for 0.25 miles and doing about 16 MPH that means you were holding 200 BPM for about 1 minute. I don't think that's possible without being WELL AWARE that you are about to explode.

It's a transmission issue. You need to "lick" the electrodes and get them wet prior to getting a good connection.

>190 BPM is sprinting range unless you're some freak of nature.

ganginwood
    paging all mtbr doctors.....mtbr doctors to the white courtesy phone please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    That is what my HR looks like when I ride with the "fast" group on our evening group rides. My HR gets up over 210 on a regular basis when I am "pushing" it and it is very difficult to get it back under 200 without dropping out of the pack. My goal is to stay at 185 as I can sustain that for hours. But if I go a little over 185 it jumps to 210-215. I know it is not a problem with my HR monitor, as I get the same results with my PT trainer and on the recumbent bikes at the gym.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Warm up properly and learn to be funny.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotta Know
    Warm up properly and learn to be funny.

You don't have to be a cock about it. I also think it is a warm up issue. I had the same problem when I first started training.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You could also be having problems with interference. It's been awhile but there was a particular road section that I used to bike that produced readings of over 200 when I was JRA. Same section also more usually showed my HR at zero. I guess my heart was takig a rest & had stopped beating.