mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Help! Upgrading bike, need input!

alright, a quick run down:

Started riding and training pretty serious for XC last year on my OLD GT Tequesta. I feel that it's holding me back now.

My question is; what would be a good XC bike to upgrade to? I don't want (nor have the funds for) a full carbon dream ride.

However, I have about $600 to spend. (I'd prefer to buy used) but I'd just like someone to point me in the right direction.

Is specialized rockhopper up to spec?

I want something above entry level, but not "expert".

Hope to get some help!

mtbr member
    One question: which country are you from?
    I'm asking you this because in some countries where 29" and 650b are gaining popularity, you can get really good deals in 2nd hand 26ers.
    For those 600 bucks you could get a very decent XC bike of someone wanting a different wheel size, and willing to get rid of the "obsolete" bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the reply.

The USA

mtbr member
    I agree. If you must go 29'' the Rockhopper is a good choice or the Cannondale trail 29'er. Not to mention Norco has a good number of budget 29'ers too! Personally I'd try to find something around 2010 year with an entry level air fork and hydraulic disc brakes. Even a pair of avid bb5 or bb7 brakes would be great.

mtbr member
    I had a same dilemma as you do. I wanted to get as much bike as I could for the $1000.
    I went with new Motobecane Fantom Pro 29. It was a bit more than you are willing to spend but it had a decent air fork (Reba) it had X9 drivetrain and Elixir 3 brakes.

It was certainly the best I could buy new. over last 12 months I upgraded entire cockpit and wheels and tires plus converted to 1x10 from 3x10. The bike is a very respectable 25lb now and a blast to ride.
    It helped me win the IL CAT3 in 2012. I'd do it again if I had to.

You may want to search for used deals but make sure that you don't get something heavy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hey People I'm new to this site. I'm starting to ride again i used to ride Bmx bikes when I was younger. I'm looking to purchase a new mountain bike/new style bmx kind of bike dont know if there was a spefic name so correct me please ha. But I wanna buy one around $400 to 600$ range I'm waniting to trail ride/use it for exercise and jump it a little. PLEASE tell me what the best one's are out there for this price range. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    There's a Sette with a Reba on CL here in Austin asking 750. Looks flawless, I think a ton of bike for the money.
    Pedal through it!