Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

HELP!!! Rocky Mountain Crash Replacement?

So I ride a weekly race series which has always been fun. I ride Sport category and have been doing pretty well this year. This past week though, the worst thing happened. We were all lined up on the start line when this guy comes late and decides to throw his bike on the front of the line (can't stand when people do that) Not only was he at least 250lbs, he wasn't a fast rider so he had no business being up there. Long story short, we start, he appears to have trouble getting into his pedals, i go to pass on the left, he swerves into me and knocks me over. I go down on my left side and he falls right onto me and my bike. Having a carbon frame has been awesome this year. It's light and stiff and I'm killing it on the climbs, but the carbon frame is not meant to have a 250lb guy fall full force onto it.

So now I'm left with a mangled frame that won't be warranted since it was in an accident (theres no way I pull this off as a manufacturers defect). So what do I do? I looked into repair but the repair guy said theres so much damage it's not worth it. I emailed rocky mountain, but no response. I called rocky mountain and left a voice mail, but no response. I cant seem to find a list of RM sale reps anywhere to get in contact with. What do I do?

I've heard that most manufacturers offer crash replacement frames for stuff that isn't warranted (i.e. crashes) for about 1/3 of retail, but I don't even know how to get this sorted out.

I love this frame, I love Rocky Mountain, but if I cant get something soon, I'll have to find something else. I want to get back out racing and riding.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HELP!!! Rocky Mountain Crash Replacement?-dsc_0470.jpg  

HELP!!! Rocky Mountain Crash Replacement?-dsc_0468.jpg  

HELP!!! Rocky Mountain Crash Replacement?-dsc_0474.jpg  

HELP!!! Rocky Mountain Crash Replacement?-dsc_0479.jpg  

HELP!!! Rocky Mountain Crash Replacement?-dsc_0482.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I would beat the fat man so hard! if a thing like that happen.

Really sad story, Wich you good luck.

ups and downs
    Contact your Rocky dealer, there are crash replacement deals to be had if you're the original owner.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    wow, that sucks! I'd be pissed. Good luck with the frame!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    What happened after the fat man fell on your bike? That *** should offer up some paper for destorying your bike! There would of been a brawl on the trail had it been me and he didnt insist on helping!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dogo View Post
    What happened after the fat man fell on your bike? That *** should offer up some paper for destorying your bike! There would of been a brawl on the trail had it been me and he didnt insist on helping!
    Seriously, there were plenty of witnesses as well to hold him down while you take his card to the nearest ATM. But I would venture to guess if he's enough of a d-bag to jump in front where he doesn't belong, then he is probably enough of a d-bag to run off without owning up to the damage and stupidity his fat ass caused.

Primative Screwhead
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Contact your Rocky dealer, there are crash replacement deals to be had if you're the original owner.
    +1 Keep ringing their number throughout the day. Even send them a link to this thread!

The process may take many weeks, so find a bargain basement HT frame to swap the parts over to and keep enjoying your racing!

Honestly, that is one of the worst luck tales I have ever heard of. I hope your fortunes improve from here
    Ego maniacs please object to my posts.

mtbr member
    Rocky is super good with Customer service but they really like to keep the LBS in the process. Find a dealer close to you and they will take care of you much faster, maybe the one you bought the bike from.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by jmctav23 View Post
    Seriously, there were plenty of witnesses as well to hold him down while you take his card to the nearest ATM. But I would venture to guess if he's enough of a d-bag to jump in front where he doesn't belong, then he is probably enough of a d-bag to run off without owning up to the damage and stupidity his fat ass caused.
    It sucks what happened, but it was the OP's responsibility to make a clean pass whether the guy belongs on the front row or not.

To the OP, where did you buy the bike? That should be your first resource.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    It sucks what happened, but it was the OP's responsibility to make a clean pass whether the guy belongs on the front row or not.

To the OP, where did you buy the bike? That should be your first resource.
    I bought the bike used from a pro rider. So worst comes to worst, I send the bike to him and get him to get me a replacement.

I got a call from a Rocky rep today. Long story short, they will be offering me a crash replacement but it may be a bit more since I'm not the original owner. I personally think it should be determined on a case by case method since I had no fault in this, but I understand that you ride at your own risk.

I did nothing wrong in my pass... It was a mass start of 100 riders and this guy couldn't get clipped in and then swerved into me. None of which would have happened if he went to the back of the line like he should have.

I have to go through the closest dealer (in Kitchener ON) to get everything in order. Normally I wouldn't mind, but the dealer in this area has pretty bad customer service, they charge above msrp on their bikes and try to make money any way possible (my best friend works at the store). My assumption is that they are going to try and make a profit off of helping me out, which sucks. I just don't get why customers can't deal straight with Rocky for situation like this.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Hopefully I get this worked out soon.
    Last edited by aaronhamill; 06-29-2011 at 02:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    good luck, Rocky came through for me pretty quickly when my estx cracked up - they do seem to care about their customers.

Think next time you should be up near next category away from any potential problems.

Have you thought about having the frame repaired, that looks repairable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I looked into repair. I was told that for the amount of damage there is, the price would be comparable to getting a replacement.

So I could spend the same amount of money to get e new frame, or have one that has been repaired. I still haven't ruled it out depending on the dollar figure that Rocky throws at me, but we will see.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My reason's for not wanting to have to deal with an LBS are confirmed. I took my bike in last week Tuesday and the store got pics and said they would email the Rocky rep. friday rolled around so I called and asked what was up and the guy at the store said he was going to email him on Saturday morning. Today rolled around and I still hadn't heard anything, so I called in, the guy told me he had been too busy so he was handing this situation off to another worker.

Pretty sure it takes 2 minutes to write up an email and send it. So frustrating, since I just want to get things rolling on this deal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    you might need to be a bit more pushy than that. Stand there and wait, ask for the REP's email so you can do it yourself, they will say can't give that to you. You then say, ok I need to see you email now, just wait around and be a pain in the ass.

Next, start browsing an expensive replacement, tell them once you get your frame back you are going to hmmm maybe buy this expensive beast, gee better look after me I have got $$$$ and I am a potential sale. Yep as soon as I get that frame back I will be in with cash.....

Otherwise find another LBS sometimes Rocky are weak on picking reputable dealers.

Health Nut
    geeze, I remember seeing this bike after the race...looked brutal, the pics don't do any justice, it would cost a fortune if it was repaired and it would offset the natural balance/stiffness of the frame since there is so much to be fixed

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Apparently a crash replacement frame will cost me $1200 plus tax. I was hoping for $800. Not too impressed with their replacement plan. I've been told that Santa Cruz offer replacement frames for any model for $600. Not sure how much truth there is to that. But for less that 1/3 off of retail price. I can't justify buying the new frame from Rocky.

ups and downs
    That's about 1/3 off, that's not a bad deal if you're the second owner.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    But considering what I paid for the bike originally, its not a good deal. I'll just get another used frame and pray lightning doesn't strike the same spot twice.

Forging Elite Awesomeness
    I was pretty sure RM offered a FFM (Falling Fat Man) replacement discount...

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The main problem with carbon frame is they are really expensive. That is a decent price for a carbon frame, what a new one retails for is frightening.

You should ask if you get a warrantee with it. Some times you don't on a crash replacement.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Upandatem View Post
    I was pretty sure RM offered a FFM (Falling Fat Man) replacement discount...
    Haha. I know it's a better price, but still not that good. I'm not even going to bother asking is it would have warranty since I can't afford $1200+tax. Theres a couple nice carbons on pinkbike right now that I'm looking at.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sounds like Rocky was giving you a pretty good deal in light of it being a used frame. The pricepoint carbon frame may be worth looking at if you want a lower priced carbon frame.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/211...rbon-Frame.htm

5 yr warranty? Or you could probably go cheaper and hit one of the China direct deals, but you would probably be on you on as to warranty. On One has some good looking carbon frames as well. Good luck

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Send the pics above to Calfee designs. They may be able to repair it...it's worth a try

http://www.calfeedesign.com/repair/

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ptfmb71 View Post
    Send the pics above to Calfee designs. They may be able to repair it...it's worth a try

http://www.calfeedesign.com/repair/
    yes agree as I said it's repairable - carbon is just stiff plasticine, don't look like a hard fix to me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I've looked into repair. It can be fixed... but because there are about 7 different complete fractures, the price was going to be similar to the replacement. I'll shoot calfee an email for a quote, but I'm not expecting much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast