Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Help with multiple things!

Hey guys! first post here so go easy on me. I race XC for my high school, and my parents are only allowing me one bike. I need to make this bike lightweight without breaking the bank, it also has to be heavy trail ready.Currently:
    2011 Trek Fuel EX 5 Frame 17.5
    Spinergy Carbon Laced Rimset
    SRAM X0 Rear Derailleur ( 9 speed)
    SRAM X0 shifters
    SRAM X9 Front Derailleur (to be added, don't know what kind to get)
    RaceFace Next Carbon Handlebars
    Crank Brothers Candy 1 Pedals
    Crank Brother Joplin 4 Dropper
    SRAM XG 999 9 speed 10-34T Cassette
    Schwalbe Hans Dempf 2.35 tubeless in the back
    Forte Pisgah Tubed cause i tore the sidewall on my last tubeless tire.

I need help deciding on my front derailleur options, new seatpost,stem, and possibly saddle. Also looking for lighter tires. Possibly even a new crankset as the stock one is most likely super heavy. Just throw all upgrades at me. I was thinking of buying:

• Kore T-Rail Distance Saddle 2012

• Kore Cubix Stem

• Black - Blue, 80mm, 31.8mm, 1.1/8"
    • Kore T-Rail Carbon Seatpost 2012

• After around 10 miles on my bike, I get lower back pains. I have a pretty strong core and i feel like the stem might be too far forward for comfort. I also would light to state I am notorious for going flat.

• Final notes: Im around 5'5 125 pounds. I broke my collarbone literally just last night so I apologize for grammatical errors (one handed typing). Thanks in advance guys!

Formerly of Kent
    2.35 Hans Dampfs on an XC bike?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I ride heavy trails too. I plan on swapping but I need more ideas.

Metalheadbikerider
    A good all-arounder that is much lighter is the 2.25 Nobby Nics. I am selling a pair on craigslist here in Portland that have about 5 or 6 rides on them, and are in excellent shape. I no longer have a 26" bike. I will sell them to a high school shredder for less than 2 for 1. Send me a PM if you are interested.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    You might consider selling your bike and buying a new one that is more XC ready.

Shimano DynaSys 3x10 30 Speed, Mountain Bikes - MTB - 2011 Motobecane Fly Pro

Our Utah state HS Varsity champ won the series on one of these chinese made BD bikes (actually, on the 29er version).

Also, you might be able to get a deal through Specialized since they are a sponsor of the league (if they're not busy suing small shops). Talk to your coach.
    Last edited by Poncharelli; 12-13-2013 at 02:38 PM.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I would rather not sell my bike to be fully honest. I love it, I just want to basically have almost everything top of the line so in the future if I want a new bike, I can just put all this onto a new frame.

Im considering selling my drivetrain for a 2x10 setup. It has, SRAM S800 3X9 cranks, sram X0 rear derailleur 9 speed ($250 retail), X0 Shifters 9 speed ($250 retail), XG 999 9 speed cassette (350$ retail), stock alivio front derailleur. What do you think I can get for it?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by MTB_Shawn View Post
    I would rather not sell my bike to be fully honest. I love it, I just want to basically have almost everything top of the line so in the future if I want a new bike, I can just put all this onto a new frame.
    What usually happens in practice is that when you come to buy a new frame it has a seatpost diameter, bottom bracket shell type, front derailleur mounting, fork steerer and wheel size which are all incompatible with the parts that fitted onto your old frame.

You generally discover that your stem is the wrong length and the expensive drivetrain that was new on last year is worn out scrap after being well used and has to be replaced, so that it ends up being almost a complete new bike by the time you've finished.

That's what always seems to happen with my bikes anyway.

Broken collar bones suck. Good luck with your recovery.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The drivetrain is in very well condition, however... Do you have any idea I could sell it for? Its a 1000$ drivetrain and would like at least half of that. Is that reasonable?

mtbr member
    The drivetrain is in very well condition, however... Do you have any idea I could sell it for? Its a 1000$ drivetrain and would like at least half of that. Is that reasonable?
    If it was 10 speed, you could get half. But 9 speed, I'm not sure. I really havent looked at 9 speed stuff in 2 years. I know I've seen that xg 999 cassette for under $200 NEW. I'm going to be listing a couple 2x10 things on ebay. Lightly used XT crank, derailleurs, and I think a left shifter. PM me if your interested. I'd rather skip ebay if possible!

mtbr member

I'm not sure how much you'd get trying to sell used 9 speed parts. Not that much probably as 10 or 11 speed is what comes on newer bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Well, is their anyway a 2x10 crank can fit a 9 speed crankset? I found someone selling a 3x9 XTR crankset but i want a 38/24t ratio...

mtbr member

With a triple chainset that uses 104/64mm BCD (Bolt Circle Diameter) chainrings you could remove the existing chainrings and fit 104/64mm BCD 38 / 24 chainrings onto the two inner positions if you wanted to.

You then use either a double front derailleur or adjust the limit screws of a triple front derailleur so that it only shifts between the two chainrings.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Oooh alright. I hope my LBS can do that! How do i find out if my BCD is 104/64mm? thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    With a triple chainset that uses 104/64mm BCD (Bolt Circle Diameter) chainrings you could remove the existing chainrings and fit 104/64mm BCD 38 / 24 chainrings onto the two inner positions if you wanted to.

You then use either a double front derailleur or adjust the limit screws of a triple front derailleur so that it only shifts between the two chainrings.

Also, do my chain rings have to be 9 speed specific? how can I adjust my shifter to be 2 speed? i cant find a 38t 9 speed chainring.

ride all day
    Sep 2011

Also, do my chain rings have to be 9 speed specific? how can I adjust my shifter to be 2 speed? i cant find a 38t 9 speed chainring.
    Chainrings don't need to be 9 speed specific, in fact if I were you I would put a 10 speed chain on, yes it work with 9 speed stuff. Makes things more compatible like chain links. For the shifter I know the newer shimanos have a switch to go from 3x to 2x, but I don't think the Sram ones have that. If it doesn't have that you can just adjust the limit screws on the derailleur so the shifter won't be able to move the derailleur anymore. I used a 3x front derailleur on a 3x crankset with 3x shifters for about 3 months. Hope this helps.

ride all day
    Sep 2011

Oooh alright. I hope my LBS can do that! How do i find out if my BCD is 104/64mm? thanks!
    Most 3x cranksets are 104/64, to make sure look up your crank online or if you can't find it look at your chainrings. And you should start learning to do your own work on your bike!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I am trying to learn! Im going to try and figure this out. Is a 65mm stem a bad size?

ride all day
    Sep 2011

I am trying to learn! Im going to try and figure this out. Is a 65mm stem a bad size?
    There is not really a "bad" sized stem, it's just the one that fits you best. Generally though xc bikes have 70-90mm stem and am bikes 35-60mm. I wouldn't go beyond 100mm though. If the stems provides a good fit keep it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ridonkulus View Post
    There is not really a "bad" sized stem, it's just the one that fits you best. Generally though xc bikes have 70-90mm stem and am bikes 35-60mm. I wouldn't go beyond 100mm though. If the stems provides a good fit keep it.
    Mine 90mm and I feel like Im reaching too far forward.

Another thing, will Carbon seatposts break?

ride all day
    Sep 2011

Mine 90mm and I feel like Im reaching too far forward.

Another thing, will Carbon seatposts break?
    If you feel a little far forward go with a little shorter stem, and maybe a little wider bar if yours is under 700mm.

Carbon seatposts: I've seen a few break at cyclocross races when people are remounting, however I run a carbon posts on my bikes and have had no trouble. I trust them 100%, carbon has come a long way in the past few years. However some carbon posts actually weigh more than aluminums, just make sure to look at weights before you buy, carbon posts are bling though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ridonkulus View Post
    If you feel a little far forward go with a little shorter stem, and maybe a little wider bar if yours is under 700mm.

Carbon seatposts: I've seen a few break at cyclocross races when people are remounting, however I run a carbon posts on my bikes and have had no trouble. I trust them 100%, carbon has come a long way in the past few years. However some carbon posts actually weigh more than aluminums, just make sure to look at weights before you buy, carbon posts are bling though.
    Im happy with my bars! Switching to a Kore Cubix 65mm stem! Going to get the seatpost linked, and the saddle if I cant get a Fizik.

mtbr member
    Just remember, it's not the bike that gets it done. We all get caught up on gear, bikes are easy to love.
    Train, eat right, rest. It's not the bike.

mtbr member

This step by step guide explains how to do the conversion to a double chainring setup:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/articl...gearing-29342/

The chainrings don't have to be 9 speed specific.

A SRAM S800 chainset definitely uses 104/64mm BCD chainrings. See the specifications on the product page here:

http://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/products/sram-s800

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Awesome! Thank you so much, that's perfect!
    E Thirteen G-Ring Single Chainring
    Ano Blue, 104mm, 38t

Shimano XT M770 10 Speed Inner Chainring
    Black, 64mm, 24t, 4 Bolt

are these good?

mtbr member

The e-thirteen G-Ring isn't designed for a double setup. It's intended to be used in a 1x setup with a single front chainring.

You'll need a set of chainrings, such as these 38/24 RaceFace Turbine chainrings, with shift ramps and pins on the larger chainring for smoother front shifting.

http://www.rczbikeshop.com/en_ue/rac...tur10dblk.html

Chainrings are quite expensive bought seperately. Something like a Shimano SLX M675 double chainset with 38/24 chainrings is around $180 USD for a complete new chainset.

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-FC-M67...o+slx+crankset

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast