mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Help! I need to train..

Junior U19 XC racer here needing advice to get back to where I was from last season. I've been off the bike most of the winter and need to get in shape by April for the first race. (I'm sure many of you have done the same as me) So what is the best way for me to start out, working my way towards podium finishes again?
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    I think most people are going to say "just ride your bike".

You'll make good gains in one month and be on your way to peak fitness for the year.

From years of training, for me, I've noticed that I typically hit best performance after about 5-6 months of good training (if planned properly). After that, it becomes a game of pushing and recovery in which burnout can happen easily.

But bottom line, you'll have to accept the fact that you won't be your fastest in your April race, especially compared to those at your level that worked hard all winter.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

Dive Bomber
    Get a roller and do indoor training so you can keep your body fitness and stamina.

In my case I make a schedule like 3 days a week ride.
    2 outdoor, 1 indoor, and day off for recovery.

I ride singlespeed and I only race on uphill since the result is better than on XC race, it's not like I am gonna get podium but I am having fun to have half riders finish behind me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The first race i April should help me with training actually. It's a Team Relay and we switch off every other lap. Good way to start the season!
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'