mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Heart rate question comparing race from last year?

So I did a local XC race (Male Age 43) this week and did well compared to last year. I raced the Beginner Male class (2 lap race), same start time just like last year to see where I'd stack up. The course being about 3.5 mile loop. Anyhow, last year I ended up 21st out of 25. This year I finished 4th out of 18. I've been training on a road bike putting in a lot of miles over the last year and have improved my endurance. I beat my last years time by almost 3 minutes and even had gas left in the tank at the end. I plan to push a little harder at the next race. Seemed to have gotten my second wind around the middle of the second lap.

So last year, I only had about 3 months of consistent riding before the race. Last year, my average heart rate for the race was 163bpm and this year it was 165bpm. My maximum heart rate last year was 173bpm and this year was 179bpm. I thought as I train my heart rate should go down during racing rather than up? Or maybe I just need more years of training to see a change? Or is possible my heart is younger than my actual age since the average and max heart rates went up? My resting HR has definitely gone down and is around 50bpm +/- a few. During the race I felt much better than last year. I could actually race and felt I had more power this year so I think I am headed in the right direction.

'14 Epic Expert World Cup
    '14 Niner RLT9 105 (ordered)
    '13 R3 Ultegra, Enve 3.4 w/CK R45

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Forgot to add that my diet has been the same since last year. I've really only picked up drinking green tea over the last couple of months to help with ride recovery which has proven to help since I don't get the day after achiness\weakness after long road rides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RCMTB View Post
    So last year, I only had about 3 months of consistent riding before the race. Last year, my average heart rate for the race was 163bpm and this year it was 165bpm. My maximum heart rate last year was 173bpm and this year was 179bpm. I thought as I train my heart rate should go down during racing rather than up? Or maybe I just need more years of training to see a change? Or is possible my heart is younger than my actual age since the average and max heart rates went up? My resting HR has definitely gone down and is around 50bpm +/- a few. During the race I felt much better than last year. I could actually race and felt I had more power this year so I think I am headed in the right direction.
    You probably raised you lactate/anaerobic threshold / FTP. You have trained your body to be more comfortable at higher HR and/or potentially make more power at that HR

"Lactate threshold is sometimes referred to as anaerobic threshold. While sports scientists may argue about the differences between these two terms, for athletes there is little reason for concern. Both are essentially the high intensity at which you begin to “red line.” On a perceived exertion scale of 1 (low) to 10 (high) you redline at about 7 or 8. Whatever your heart rate, power or pace is at this moment is your lactate threshold intensity. The higher this is as a percentage of your aerobic capacity the faster you will race" Joe Friel

See "Lactate Threshold" in link below
    Joe Friel's Blog

This article may help you also
    Hunter Allen Peaks Coaching Group: What is FTP?

You are probably more "economical" now - meaning if you were on a bike with a power meter - ex: last year at 200 watts your HR would have been 175, this year @ 200w your HR @ 170.

When you refer to MAX HR - is that what you seen during race or during test to see what your MAX HR was?

FYI- your lactate threshold HR is probably around 165bpm pending on the length of your race.

I hope I helped.

Yes, you are going in the right direction! Keep up the good work! Sounds like you paced yourself well in race.

What have you been doing training wise? Hours per week? Rides per week?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The race was a two lapper and I finished around the 40 minute mark. Definitely, my LTHR is around 165bpm.

For training over winter, I did five hours a week. Two one hour medium to high intensity trainer rides and a long 2 to 3 hour road ride on weekend. I was having trouble with recovery, don't know if it was cold weather, kids getting me sick or my body just needing rest. When spring came around I was doing two rides a week. One MTB ride 1.5 to 2 hour medium to high intensity ride and a 3 hour road ride on weekend. Since I've discovered green tea a couple months ago I don't get aches and pains as usual so am planning to add another training ride to 3 rides a week.

mtbr member
    Good info above. I would also suggest Friel's book, Total Heart Rate Training.

Your more disciplined and consistent training is paying off - congrats!

mtbr member

Re: Heart rate question comparing race from last year?

Congrats on your improvement!

Remember, I think was Greg Lemond that said something along the lines of "cycling never gets easier, you just get faster". If you are going hard in a race your heart rate will still be high, but you will be going faster. If you had ridden at the same place as last year, then you would have probably seen a much lower heart rate than last year since that would have bean easy for you to maintain this year.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2