mtbr member
    May 2008

Heart Rate Question

Im 45 years old and ride once a week usually fairly hard. When I read all the Heart rate stuff about max rate they say my max at 45 should be 175. I rode today and my rate ran from 180 to 195 while working then slowed to 140 during breaks. I'm sitting here relaxing and have been home for a few hours. My rate now is 95 - 98. Yhis whole heart rate thing is new to me. Does this all sound normal to you guys? are the formulas B.S. ? Should you just ride as hard as you feel comfortable? My Doc says to ride as hard as Im Comfortable with.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The formulas are somewhat accurate for the general population but for some people (like you) their max heart rate is much different than the formulas. It means nothing if you deviate from the formulas. Your 180-195 is fairly high for your age, but is nothing to be concerned about. However, if you're completely relaxed and your heart rate is 95-98 that is very high. If this is a one time thing I would not worry, but if everyday you are in the 90's (or even 80's) when relaxed I would consider seeing a doctor.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I agree with Ethan - I'm 48 and will max at 173bpm but will drop fairly quickly to 80-90bpm when stopped during a ride. My resting heart-rate is in the high 50s. 95bpm seems a bit high for someone who takes regular exercise!

mtbr member
    You are fine. I am 39 and when I work out I regularly get into the 190s. As for your resting HR it will remain elevated for quite some time from your normal resting HR. That is why when you want to check what your resting HR is take it just after waking up in the morning.
    Originally Posted by XC62701
    Agreed...make it longer. I want to know death is an option

Bike Geek
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by EthanDM
    If this is a one time thing I would not worry, but if everyday you are in the 90's (or even 80's) when relaxed I would consider seeing a doctor.

Normal resting heart rate is 80-100. Tachycardia is considered 100-120. Greater than 120 at resting then there is a problem. No need to go to the doctor, when in the 80-100 range, as long as you are not experiencing any arrhythmia. Most people who train regularly have a resting heart rate in the 50-80 range but just because you don't doesn't mean there is any problem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    First thing in the morning, sit in a comfy chair and relax for a couple of minutes, clear your head of any shite (i.e. stress) and then measure your hr.
    If it's 98 I would see a doctor.... not to panic but it's better to be safe.

Years ago my hr monitor used to spike quickly so I did a stress test with electrodes stuck all over me. It was a monitor issue.
    Doc didn't want me to go over 80% but I insisted. We stopped at 90% ... my heart was good; he was having kittens though over a patient having a heart attack in his surgery.

I'm 52 yo now.... haven't measured hr for years but it was 48'ish normally and down to 42 on a good day. I've stressed it enough through exercise to know it probably won't stop me just yet but it was good to know that the doc though it was ok too.

Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardL
    I agree with Ethan - I'm 48 and will max at 173bpm but will drop fairly quickly to 80-90bpm when stopped during a ride. My resting heart-rate is in the high 50s. 95bpm seems a bit high for someone who takes regular exercise!
    I am with Richard on this one. I am 41 and hit a high of 176 but resting is high 50s. And at 175 I can hardly breath LOL

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    there's all kinds/levels of resting,if i sit and stare at my hrm for a minute or two and sort of meditate i can get it into the low/mid fiftys,resting.But doing a little something ,talking to someone, or typing away like this would probabely be 70's to 90's there are many different variables.If you did a hard ride a couple hours ago, you might be 10-20 beats higher than if you didn't do anything.Supposedly the heart will respond more quickly to a minor activity if you exercise alot ,on some level your heart doesn't really know if your standing up to walk across the room ,or to beat someone to th first turn in a bmx race,so it starts beating faster at any sign of possible action just to be ready..

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by herbn
    there's all kinds/levels of resting,if i sit and stare at my hrm for a minute or two and sort of meditate i can get it into the low/mid fiftys,resting.But doing a little something ,talking to someone, or typing away like this would probabely be 70's to 90's there are many different variables.If you did a hard ride a couple hours ago, you might be 10-20 beats higher than if you didn't do anything.Supposedly the heart will respond more quickly to a minor activity if you exercise alot ,on some level your heart doesn't really know if your standing up to walk across the room ,or to beat someone to th first turn in a bmx race,so it starts beating faster at any sign of possible action just to be ready..
    I agree with all of this, you made some great points.

But if your HR never drops below 95-98, personally I would go see a doctor.