Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50

Thread: Healthy snacks!

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoostN7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    668

    Healthy snacks!

    Hi guys,

    So I've just started racing and training properly, or at least beginning to. I've also been looking at what I'm eating and trying to slowly change my diet. Note, "change my diet" not "go on a diet".

    I'm still tempted by afternoon chocolate bars, crisps and fizzy drinks whilst at work. I've been eating grapes and apples but they don't fill me up! Has anyone got (cost affective and easy to obtain) any suggestions?

    I'm allergic to nuts before someone suggests them haha

    Thanks!
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Metalhack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    301
    I have those temptations too...I found some very healthy substitutes.

    Chocolate cravings I mix dark chocolate chips with nuts and dried fruit. Since you cant have nuts substitute with Grape Nuts cereal. I just found out from a friend who has a nut allergy that Grape Nuts cereal doesn't have nuts in it.

    Apples or Celery with Sunbutter and raisins.

    Water with lemon(real lemonade)...drink lots.

    I eat a protein mid afternoon that I mix with an apple...usually just a breast of chicken. Makes a big difference and seems to keep me full a while.

    Psyllium Husk mixed into OJ or lemonade. Its a soluble fiber so it absorbs liquid and makes you feel really full. I found it because my cholesterol was high and it lowered it. Warning though...be ready, its going to put you on the toilet twice as much.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    874
    My lunch consists of a bunch of fruit with a spinach salad and carrots mixed in. I know what you mean about the afternoon cravings.

    I keep some Nature Valley oats and dark chocolate bars around a lot. Not the best, but satisfies my chocolate cravings.

    Also, I get butter free popcorn. A whole bag is only 150 calories, and that does a great job of filling me up and keeping me from eating less healthy things.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KevinGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    752
    EDITED: Just saw that you're allergic to nuts. Ignore this entire post!

    Having lost 70 pounds in the last year, mainly by reducing calories, I found the perfect substitute for salty snacks (chips, or crisps as you limeys call it): Blue Diamond Bold Almonds. These things are awesome and only 170 calories for 28 nuts. They have some fantastic flavors.

    Wasabi and Soy (will clear your sinuses as well!)
    Habanero BBQ (my favorite)
    Sea Salt and Vinegar

    Give 'em a try.

    I use fruit to replace sweet deserts. No, it's not a perfect substitute but it's better than being hungry or eating a candy bar. Another choice would be Emerald Dark Chocolate and Peanut Butter mixed nuts. About the same calories as the Blue Diamond Almonds but a very sweet taste.
    Last edited by KevinGT; 03-11-2013 at 01:03 PM.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    113
    My standbys are Kashi bars and instant (weight control) oatmeal!

  6. #6
    Unpredictable
    Reputation: Ridnparadise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,688
    If you are eating a healthy diet of real food with a high protein and water intake, why would you be hungry and need a snack at work? Name me a species other than humans that has to have a snack? The craving for snacks is likely to be based on habit or falling blood glucose related to insulin surges produced by diets too high in carbs (sugars and starches).

    The concept of pushing calories as part of a training routine may be appropriate at the Olympic level, but not for almost anyone else. Think about what your body is made of - protein strands linked to fat molecules and minerals (in very simplistic terms). You get that from food that grows, not from processed snacks made to profit the producer. Dark chocolate is about the only snack with any merit.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Metalhack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    If you are eating a healthy diet of real food with a high protein and water intake, why would you be hungry and need a snack at work?
    For fun... Snacking is no problem as long as its healthy and done right. Dont ya think?

  8. #8
    Unpredictable
    Reputation: Ridnparadise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalhack View Post
    For fun... Snacking is no problem as long as its healthy and done right. Dont ya think?
    Fraid not. All the evidence suggests that adopting unnecessary lifestyle choices justified with convictions of them being "healthy" lead to personal medical disasters later in life. "I always eat healthy" is the most common line used by fatties to justify making no changes in the face of their hypertension, diabetes, dyslipidaemia and failing musculoskeletal systems. Snack away if you like, but see your future, be your future.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MadBlackHatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    64
    I don't see how eating smaller healthy meals and having small healthy snacks will lead to "hypertension, diabetes, dyslipidaemia and failing musculoskeletal systems". Also animals eat when hungry or have the opportunity to do so, they do not live off a 3 square meals a day diet.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoostN7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    668
    I was always told that it was better to eat 6 smaller meals a day? I used to eat a tin of Tuna as my mid morning snack and a protein shake between lunch and dinner when I was bulking.... I'm not refuting what you're saying, just trying to gain a better knowledge and understanding. This is all quite new to me...
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fakie1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    Fraid not. All the evidence suggests that adopting unnecessary lifestyle choices justified with convictions of them being "healthy" lead to personal medical disasters later in life. "I always eat healthy" is the most common line used by fatties to justify making no changes in the face of their hypertension, diabetes, dyslipidaemia and failing musculoskeletal systems. Snack away if you like, but see your future, be your future.
    Links to "all the evidence" would be nice. Also, we're talking "healthy snacks" here. Not triple cheeseburgers with bacon, or whatever the "fatties" you speak of snack on.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    429
    Basically, you should only eat what people ate 10,000 years ago. A.k.a the caveman diet. Everything else is packed with oil, salt (and other preservatives) and processed sugar. It takes a special (dedicated) person to have the discipline to eat like that. It's very hard to do since we are surrounded by cheap and easy access to processed foods (plus it's boring). I suspect that's why people fall out of their diet. They are simply tempted by junk food because it's everywhere.

    If I were you I would keep a food journal for 2-3 weeks to figure out where you can eliminate some calories. And at the same time try to incorporate more nutritious foods into your diet.

  13. #13
    Unpredictable
    Reputation: Ridnparadise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,688
    Quote Originally Posted by zipperhead View Post
    I don't see how eating smaller healthy meals and having small healthy snacks will lead to "hypertension, diabetes, dyslipidaemia and failing musculoskeletal systems". Also animals eat when hungry or have the opportunity to do so, they do not live off a 3 square meals a day diet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fakie1999 View Post
    Links to "all the evidence" would be nice. Also, we're talking "healthy snacks" here. Not triple cheeseburgers with bacon, or whatever the "fatties" you speak of snack on.
    Define "healthy", "smaller" and how humans can be compared to animals (other than how they fatten up in the feed lot)?

    If all the evidence could be listed here, you would have the last 400 years of medical history. I only have 30 years of medicine behind me and 25 as a member of Sports Medicine Australia. The fatties I talk of are the unfat youth of 20 years ago.

    Maybe if humans did eat like animals - the same stuff all the time in quantities required for their metabolism, rather than everything they can get to make eating (and drinking) less boring, the evidence would be less in your face every time you look down the street.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoostN7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips View Post
    Basically, you should only eat what people ate 10,000 years ago. A.k.a the caveman diet. Everything else is packed with oil, salt (and other preservatives) and processed sugar. It takes a special (dedicated) person to have the discipline to eat like that. It's very hard to do since we are surrounded by cheap and easy access to processed foods (plus it's boring). I suspect that's why people fall out of their diet. They are simply tempted by junk food because it's everywhere.

    If I were you I would keep a food journal for 2-3 weeks to figure out where you can eliminate some calories. And at the same time try to incorporate more nutritious foods into your diet.
    Exactly what I've been doing, I've done it religiously for the last week and I'll post the results later. Don't slam me for my diet, don't forget I'm new to this and am slowly but surely improving my diet.
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoostN7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    668
    Okay, here goes. Into the shark tanks.

    Here's a read out of last weeks data I collected with MyFitnessPal.

    *ehem*

    50% Carbs
    21% Protein
    29%Fat

    Total fat: 416g
    Saturated: 130g
    Polyunsaturated: 18g
    Monounsaturated: 28g
    Trans: 0g
    Cholesterol: 343mg
    Sodium: 8686mg
    Potassium: 5933mg
    Total Carbs: 1608g
    Dietary Fiber: 126g
    Sugars: 417g
    Protein: 658g

    It reckons I burnt 5609 calories during training (3 MTB rides >2hrs) which I think is optimistic to say the least.

    Monday was a bad night for me, we went to Pizza hut where I consumed 1555 calories in a SINGLE sitting. Won't be doing that again in a hurry. I'm still drinking Coke and snaking on chocolate bars from time to time. I don't really eat much dairy or bread. In fact the only time I eat bread is once a week with my bacon sandwich. I do eat a lot of broccoli, and fruit though. Which I guess is a good thing?
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Metalhack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips View Post
    Basically, you should only eat what people ate 10,000 years ago. A.k.a the caveman diet. Everything else is packed with oil, salt (and other preservatives) and processed sugar. It takes a special (dedicated) person to have the discipline to eat like that. It's very hard to do since we are surrounded by cheap and easy access to processed foods (plus it's boring). I suspect that's why people fall out of their diet. They are simply tempted by junk food because it's everywhere.

    If I were you I would keep a food journal for 2-3 weeks to figure out where you can eliminate some calories. And at the same time try to incorporate more nutritious foods into your diet.
    I love eating Paleo. I dont follow it 100% because I still eat dark chocolate,drink some beer and eat a few other things non caveman, but eating even 80% caveman or so has given me tons of energy and I even think clearer.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Metalhack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    Fraid not. All the evidence suggests that adopting unnecessary lifestyle choices justified with convictions of them being "healthy" lead to personal medical disasters later in life. "I always eat healthy" is the most common line used by fatties to justify making no changes in the face of their hypertension, diabetes, dyslipidaemia and failing musculoskeletal systems. Snack away if you like, but see your future, be your future.
    All the evidence...I very highly doubt it. I'm sure for all the data you present supporting your case, you could find just as much evidence,probably a lot more really, on the contrary.

    Though I have only been practicing medicine for 15 years and my specialty is in emergency medicine, I disagree with your opinion. I, and many others,feel a healthy snack in moderation, and one that contains nutrients,vitamins and good calories is totally beneficial. Im not talking about flooding your body with simple sugars, I agree thats useless. Im talking small,healthy beneficial foods.

    For my activity level I cant eat enough calories in 3 meals to maintain my health. Im sure Im not alone on this. Between riding and lifting weights I would starve to death. This is the theory supporting eating small healthy meals and small healthy snacks.

    IMO diseases like diabetes,hyperlipidemia,cancers,CAD,Strokes,HTN(th e list is endless) are becoming epidemic not solely because of the foods we eat, but whats in those foods and a sedate lifestyle. Processed foods,chemicals,engineered foods are very harmful. Industrialization of our foods are killing us. Not grabbing a handful of almonds at 3 in the afternoon to hold.

    My point..if your craving something have it, enjoy it. Eating healthy delicious foods are fun,satisfying and healthy.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MadBlackHatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    64
    Thumbs up to that

  19. #19
    Has skills-will travel
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    350
    I would suggest you sub Black coffee for the Coke and I think your fine with a chocolate bar from time to time as long as you don't mess up your calories for the day.

    For my snacks I find that handful of Dry roasted salted almonds and a hand full of dried blueberries mixed together are a perfect for a healthy treat - love the sweet and salty! I also use Baby Carrots to fill me up when I really get hungry in the afternoon.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GPolly1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3
    I'm a newbie to mtbr forum, but I can't help myself to comment. I've been paleo for about 6 months and I've experienced some very positive affects. Like Metalhack, I don't follow it 100% because there are certain things I do like to eat. But, what I've found is if I eat those things in small portions (I love milk), I can get my fix. There are some things I've eaten in small portions and have eliminated them from my diet through time. I find it fun to try certain, healthy snacks that, at one time, I would never have tried. I've started eating dates. I believe they are healthy since the list of ingredients reads:dates. I consider myself "semi-paleo".

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    108
    The problem is we are engaged in lifestyles that do not align with traditional ways of eating. Paleo is cool...if your living like a caveman. Riding a bike for 3 hours at high intensity does not align with any past eras of human life.

    Even some of the traditional African societies that survived on persistance hunting, running many hours at a time, likely did NOT reach the intensity levels on a daily basis like many of us do here.

    To model your way of eating after a by-gone era that does not exist doesn't make sense, at least to me.

    I come from the mindset that Healthy eating is highly personal, based on your current lifestyle, heritage and activity level. I've been experimenting for the last 10 years and know myself pretty well, but I know that it's not going to work for everybody. I've had to unlearn years of habits from growing up and I constantly adapt my diet to my lifestyle and the new data being presented by the scientific/medical community. That may be low carb for some, paleo for others and maybe vegan.

    A good book is "Racing Weight", talks about Diet Changes (not a 'Diet') that allow your body to naturally attain its equilibrium in a competitive sports environment. They give many examples of pro athletes diets, all eat many meals throughout the day.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostN7 View Post
    Hi guys,

    So I've just started racing and training properly, or at least beginning to. I've also been looking at what I'm eating and trying to slowly change my diet. Note, "change my diet" not "go on a diet".

    I'm still tempted by afternoon chocolate bars, crisps and fizzy drinks whilst at work. I've been eating grapes and apples but they don't fill me up! Has anyone got (cost affective and easy to obtain) any suggestions?

    I'm allergic to nuts before someone suggests them haha

    Thanks!
    I like hummus with crackers, sprouted bread with cheese, cottage cheese, popcorn, coffee with a splash of cream, green tea, oatmeal.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fakie1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizRider View Post
    A good book is "Racing Weight", talks about Diet Changes (not a 'Diet') that allow your body to naturally attain its equilibrium in a competitive sports environment. They give many examples of pro athletes diets, all eat many meals throughout the day.
    I told my wife to buy that book awhile ago, since she was interested in losing weight, and she did. I havent read it yet, but it sounds like I should. Thanks!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,378
    I made some "real food" energy snacks at home yesterday. Dates and nuts (almonds and pecans) and a spoonful of chia seeds in a food processor until it makes a rough paste. Then I rolled them into little logs and rolled them in shredded coconut. They are very tasty.

    I'm still not sure about the chia seeds, though. I've read about endurance runners doing really well eating them, but I'm worried that all that extra fiber will result in a frequent or rapid need for pit stops.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WR304's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,579
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostN7 View Post
    Okay, here goes. Into the shark tanks.

    Here's a read out of last weeks data I collected with MyFitnessPal.

    *ehem*

    50% Carbs
    21% Protein
    29%Fat

    Total fat: 416g
    Saturated: 130g
    Polyunsaturated: 18g
    Monounsaturated: 28g
    Trans: 0g
    Cholesterol: 343mg
    Sodium: 8686mg
    Potassium: 5933mg
    Total Carbs: 1608g
    Dietary Fiber: 126g
    Sugars: 417g
    Protein: 658g

    It reckons I burnt 5609 calories during training (3 MTB rides >2hrs) which I think is optimistic to say the least.

    Monday was a bad night for me, we went to Pizza hut where I consumed 1555 calories in a SINGLE sitting. Won't be doing that again in a hurry. I'm still drinking Coke and snaking on chocolate bars from time to time. I don't really eat much dairy or bread. In fact the only time I eat bread is once a week with my bacon sandwich. I do eat a lot of broccoli, and fruit though. Which I guess is a good thing?

    Burning 5609 calories in 6 hours of MTB riding (3x2 hour rides) is possible but likely to be on the high side unless you're burying yourself all ride.

    Everyone's different but to try and give an idea of calories burnt here's some of my figures. From past rides I'll burn maybe 600 kilocalories per hour on a fairly hard offroad ride with no stopping (using the rough assumption that 1kilojoule of work recorded by a Powertap = 1 kilocalorie burnt for energy by your body). Flat out I'll burn maybe 925 kilocalories per hour which would give 5550 calories for 6 hours riding, but that's at 1 hour time trial pace on the road (using the same rough assumption that 1kilojoule of work recorded by a Powertap = 1 kilocalorie burnt for energy by your body). If I'm riding at a gentler pace then it drops right down to 500 kilocalories or so per hour or lower (using the same rough assumption that 1kilojoule of work recorded by a Powertap = 1 kilocalorie burnt for energy by your body).


    Are you entering your own food values on My Fitness Pal, or just choosing ones from the list?

    I'm giving it a try and couldn't help but notice just how variable the results are depending upon which option you choose. The reliability of the user entered food values is all over the place. Depending upon which outwardly similar option you choose from the list can make a big difference. The problem with that is that there are literally hundreds of similar listings that you have to wade through to find decent entries that are fairly complete.

    If you look at the picture below for example you could choose Weetabix & 200ml semi skimmed milk from the list but it's incomplete.



    Looking at the food entries for today my food diary is already feeling bad.
    Last edited by WR304; 03-14-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Fat Snacks
    By dr.welby in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-17-2012, 11:51 AM
  2. healthy lifestyle and the way we die
    By inter in forum Passion
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 09-18-2012, 08:07 AM
  3. healthy carbs?
    By machine4321 in forum Nutrition and Hydration
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 07-04-2012, 04:33 AM
  4. P111 what's for snacks?
    By Crockpot2001 in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-09-2012, 04:59 PM
  5. Poker snacks -- recipes and suggestions
    By heyyall in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-21-2012, 07:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •