Thread: Healthy snacks!

mtbr member

Healthy snacks!

Hi guys,

So I've just started racing and training properly, or at least beginning to. I've also been looking at what I'm eating and trying to slowly change my diet. Note, "change my diet" not "go on a diet".

I'm still tempted by afternoon chocolate bars, crisps and fizzy drinks whilst at work. I've been eating grapes and apples but they don't fill me up! Has anyone got (cost affective and easy to obtain) any suggestions?

I'm allergic to nuts before someone suggests them haha

Thanks!
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

mtbr member
    I have those temptations too...I found some very healthy substitutes.

Chocolate cravings I mix dark chocolate chips with nuts and dried fruit. Since you cant have nuts substitute with Grape Nuts cereal. I just found out from a friend who has a nut allergy that Grape Nuts cereal doesn't have nuts in it.

Apples or Celery with Sunbutter and raisins.

Water with lemon(real lemonade)...drink lots.

I eat a protein mid afternoon that I mix with an apple...usually just a breast of chicken. Makes a big difference and seems to keep me full a while.

Psyllium Husk mixed into OJ or lemonade. Its a soluble fiber so it absorbs liquid and makes you feel really full. I found it because my cholesterol was high and it lowered it. Warning though...be ready, its going to put you on the toilet twice as much.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    My lunch consists of a bunch of fruit with a spinach salad and carrots mixed in. I know what you mean about the afternoon cravings.

I keep some Nature Valley oats and dark chocolate bars around a lot. Not the best, but satisfies my chocolate cravings.

Also, I get butter free popcorn. A whole bag is only 150 calories, and that does a great job of filling me up and keeping me from eating less healthy things.

mtbr member
    EDITED: Just saw that you're allergic to nuts. Ignore this entire post!

Having lost 70 pounds in the last year, mainly by reducing calories, I found the perfect substitute for salty snacks (chips, or crisps as you limeys call it): Blue Diamond Bold Almonds. These things are awesome and only 170 calories for 28 nuts. They have some fantastic flavors.

Wasabi and Soy (will clear your sinuses as well!)
    Habanero BBQ (my favorite)
    Sea Salt and Vinegar

Give 'em a try.

I use fruit to replace sweet deserts. No, it's not a perfect substitute but it's better than being hungry or eating a candy bar. Another choice would be Emerald Dark Chocolate and Peanut Butter mixed nuts. About the same calories as the Blue Diamond Almonds but a very sweet taste.
    Last edited by KevinGT; 03-11-2013 at 01:03 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    My standbys are Kashi bars and instant (weight control) oatmeal!

Unpredictable
    If you are eating a healthy diet of real food with a high protein and water intake, why would you be hungry and need a snack at work? Name me a species other than humans that has to have a snack? The craving for snacks is likely to be based on habit or falling blood glucose related to insulin surges produced by diets too high in carbs (sugars and starches).

The concept of pushing calories as part of a training routine may be appropriate at the Olympic level, but not for almost anyone else. Think about what your body is made of - protein strands linked to fat molecules and minerals (in very simplistic terms). You get that from food that grows, not from processed snacks made to profit the producer. Dark chocolate is about the only snack with any merit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    If you are eating a healthy diet of real food with a high protein and water intake, why would you be hungry and need a snack at work?
    For fun... Snacking is no problem as long as its healthy and done right. Dont ya think?

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalhack View Post
    For fun... Snacking is no problem as long as its healthy and done right. Dont ya think?
    Fraid not. All the evidence suggests that adopting unnecessary lifestyle choices justified with convictions of them being "healthy" lead to personal medical disasters later in life. "I always eat healthy" is the most common line used by fatties to justify making no changes in the face of their hypertension, diabetes, dyslipidaemia and failing musculoskeletal systems. Snack away if you like, but see your future, be your future.

mtbr member
    I don't see how eating smaller healthy meals and having small healthy snacks will lead to "hypertension, diabetes, dyslipidaemia and failing musculoskeletal systems". Also animals eat when hungry or have the opportunity to do so, they do not live off a 3 square meals a day diet.

mtbr member
    I was always told that it was better to eat 6 smaller meals a day? I used to eat a tin of Tuna as my mid morning snack and a protein shake between lunch and dinner when I was bulking.... I'm not refuting what you're saying, just trying to gain a better knowledge and understanding. This is all quite new to me...

mtbr member
    Fraid not. All the evidence suggests that adopting unnecessary lifestyle choices justified with convictions of them being "healthy" lead to personal medical disasters later in life. "I always eat healthy" is the most common line used by fatties to justify making no changes in the face of their hypertension, diabetes, dyslipidaemia and failing musculoskeletal systems. Snack away if you like, but see your future, be your future.
    Links to "all the evidence" would be nice. Also, we're talking "healthy snacks" here. Not triple cheeseburgers with bacon, or whatever the "fatties" you speak of snack on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Basically, you should only eat what people ate 10,000 years ago. A.k.a the caveman diet. Everything else is packed with oil, salt (and other preservatives) and processed sugar. It takes a special (dedicated) person to have the discipline to eat like that. It's very hard to do since we are surrounded by cheap and easy access to processed foods (plus it's boring). I suspect that's why people fall out of their diet. They are simply tempted by junk food because it's everywhere.

If I were you I would keep a food journal for 2-3 weeks to figure out where you can eliminate some calories. And at the same time try to incorporate more nutritious foods into your diet.

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by zipperhead View Post
    I don't see how eating smaller healthy meals and having small healthy snacks will lead to "hypertension, diabetes, dyslipidaemia and failing musculoskeletal systems". Also animals eat when hungry or have the opportunity to do so, they do not live off a 3 square meals a day diet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fakie1999 View Post
    Links to "all the evidence" would be nice. Also, we're talking "healthy snacks" here. Not triple cheeseburgers with bacon, or whatever the "fatties" you speak of snack on.
    Define "healthy", "smaller" and how humans can be compared to animals (other than how they fatten up in the feed lot)?

If all the evidence could be listed here, you would have the last 400 years of medical history. I only have 30 years of medicine behind me and 25 as a member of Sports Medicine Australia. The fatties I talk of are the unfat youth of 20 years ago.

Maybe if humans did eat like animals - the same stuff all the time in quantities required for their metabolism, rather than everything they can get to make eating (and drinking) less boring, the evidence would be less in your face every time you look down the street.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips View Post
    Basically, you should only eat what people ate 10,000 years ago. A.k.a the caveman diet. Everything else is packed with oil, salt (and other preservatives) and processed sugar. It takes a special (dedicated) person to have the discipline to eat like that. It's very hard to do since we are surrounded by cheap and easy access to processed foods (plus it's boring). I suspect that's why people fall out of their diet. They are simply tempted by junk food because it's everywhere.

If I were you I would keep a food journal for 2-3 weeks to figure out where you can eliminate some calories. And at the same time try to incorporate more nutritious foods into your diet.
    Exactly what I've been doing, I've done it religiously for the last week and I'll post the results later. Don't slam me for my diet, don't forget I'm new to this and am slowly but surely improving my diet.

mtbr member
    Okay, here goes. Into the shark tanks.

Here's a read out of last weeks data I collected with MyFitnessPal.

*ehem*

50% Carbs
    21% Protein
    29%Fat

Total fat: 416g
    Saturated: 130g
    Polyunsaturated: 18g
    Monounsaturated: 28g
    Trans: 0g
    Cholesterol: 343mg
    Sodium: 8686mg
    Potassium: 5933mg
    Total Carbs: 1608g
    Dietary Fiber: 126g
    Sugars: 417g
    Protein: 658g

It reckons I burnt 5609 calories during training (3 MTB rides >2hrs) which I think is optimistic to say the least.

Monday was a bad night for me, we went to Pizza hut where I consumed 1555 calories in a SINGLE sitting. Won't be doing that again in a hurry. I'm still drinking Coke and snaking on chocolate bars from time to time. I don't really eat much dairy or bread. In fact the only time I eat bread is once a week with my bacon sandwich. I do eat a lot of broccoli, and fruit though. Which I guess is a good thing?

mtbr member

I love eating Paleo. I dont follow it 100% because I still eat dark chocolate,drink some beer and eat a few other things non caveman, but eating even 80% caveman or so has given me tons of energy and I even think clearer.

mtbr member
    All the evidence...I very highly doubt it. I'm sure for all the data you present supporting your case, you could find just as much evidence,probably a lot more really, on the contrary.

Though I have only been practicing medicine for 15 years and my specialty is in emergency medicine, I disagree with your opinion. I, and many others,feel a healthy snack in moderation, and one that contains nutrients,vitamins and good calories is totally beneficial. Im not talking about flooding your body with simple sugars, I agree thats useless. Im talking small,healthy beneficial foods.

For my activity level I cant eat enough calories in 3 meals to maintain my health. Im sure Im not alone on this. Between riding and lifting weights I would starve to death. This is the theory supporting eating small healthy meals and small healthy snacks.

IMO diseases like diabetes,hyperlipidemia,cancers,CAD,Strokes,HTN(th e list is endless) are becoming epidemic not solely because of the foods we eat, but whats in those foods and a sedate lifestyle. Processed foods,chemicals,engineered foods are very harmful. Industrialization of our foods are killing us. Not grabbing a handful of almonds at 3 in the afternoon to hold.

My point..if your craving something have it, enjoy it. Eating healthy delicious foods are fun,satisfying and healthy.

mtbr member
    Thumbs up to that

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    I would suggest you sub Black coffee for the Coke and I think your fine with a chocolate bar from time to time as long as you don't mess up your calories for the day.

For my snacks I find that handful of Dry roasted salted almonds and a hand full of dried blueberries mixed together are a perfect for a healthy treat - love the sweet and salty! I also use Baby Carrots to fill me up when I really get hungry in the afternoon.

mtbr member
    I'm a newbie to mtbr forum, but I can't help myself to comment. I've been paleo for about 6 months and I've experienced some very positive affects. Like Metalhack, I don't follow it 100% because there are certain things I do like to eat. But, what I've found is if I eat those things in small portions (I love milk), I can get my fix. There are some things I've eaten in small portions and have eliminated them from my diet through time. I find it fun to try certain, healthy snacks that, at one time, I would never have tried. I've started eating dates. I believe they are healthy since the list of ingredients reads:dates. I consider myself "semi-paleo".

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The problem is we are engaged in lifestyles that do not align with traditional ways of eating. Paleo is cool...if your living like a caveman. Riding a bike for 3 hours at high intensity does not align with any past eras of human life.

Even some of the traditional African societies that survived on persistance hunting, running many hours at a time, likely did NOT reach the intensity levels on a daily basis like many of us do here.

To model your way of eating after a by-gone era that does not exist doesn't make sense, at least to me.

I come from the mindset that Healthy eating is highly personal, based on your current lifestyle, heritage and activity level. I've been experimenting for the last 10 years and know myself pretty well, but I know that it's not going to work for everybody. I've had to unlearn years of habits from growing up and I constantly adapt my diet to my lifestyle and the new data being presented by the scientific/medical community. That may be low carb for some, paleo for others and maybe vegan.

A good book is "Racing Weight", talks about Diet Changes (not a 'Diet') that allow your body to naturally attain its equilibrium in a competitive sports environment. They give many examples of pro athletes diets, all eat many meals throughout the day.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostN7 View Post
    Hi guys,

So I've just started racing and training properly, or at least beginning to. I've also been looking at what I'm eating and trying to slowly change my diet. Note, "change my diet" not "go on a diet".

I'm still tempted by afternoon chocolate bars, crisps and fizzy drinks whilst at work. I've been eating grapes and apples but they don't fill me up! Has anyone got (cost affective and easy to obtain) any suggestions?

I'm allergic to nuts before someone suggests them haha

Thanks!
    I like hummus with crackers, sprouted bread with cheese, cottage cheese, popcorn, coffee with a splash of cream, green tea, oatmeal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizRider View Post
    A good book is "Racing Weight", talks about Diet Changes (not a 'Diet') that allow your body to naturally attain its equilibrium in a competitive sports environment. They give many examples of pro athletes diets, all eat many meals throughout the day.
    I told my wife to buy that book awhile ago, since she was interested in losing weight, and she did. I havent read it yet, but it sounds like I should. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I made some "real food" energy snacks at home yesterday. Dates and nuts (almonds and pecans) and a spoonful of chia seeds in a food processor until it makes a rough paste. Then I rolled them into little logs and rolled them in shredded coconut. They are very tasty.

I'm still not sure about the chia seeds, though. I've read about endurance runners doing really well eating them, but I'm worried that all that extra fiber will result in a frequent or rapid need for pit stops.

mtbr member
    Okay, here goes. Into the shark tanks.

*ehem*

50% Carbs
    21% Protein
    29%Fat

It reckons I burnt 5609 calories during training (3 MTB rides >2hrs) which I think is optimistic to say the least.

Monday was a bad night for me, we went to Pizza hut where I consumed 1555 calories in a SINGLE sitting. Won't be doing that again in a hurry. I'm still drinking Coke and snaking on chocolate bars from time to time. I don't really eat much dairy or bread. In fact the only time I eat bread is once a week with my bacon sandwich. I do eat a lot of broccoli, and fruit though. Which I guess is a good thing?

Burning 5609 calories in 6 hours of MTB riding (3x2 hour rides) is possible but likely to be on the high side unless you're burying yourself all ride.

Everyone's different but to try and give an idea of calories burnt here's some of my figures. From past rides I'll burn maybe 600 kilocalories per hour on a fairly hard offroad ride with no stopping (using the rough assumption that 1kilojoule of work recorded by a Powertap = 1 kilocalorie burnt for energy by your body). Flat out I'll burn maybe 925 kilocalories per hour which would give 5550 calories for 6 hours riding, but that's at 1 hour time trial pace on the road (using the same rough assumption that 1kilojoule of work recorded by a Powertap = 1 kilocalorie burnt for energy by your body). If I'm riding at a gentler pace then it drops right down to 500 kilocalories or so per hour or lower (using the same rough assumption that 1kilojoule of work recorded by a Powertap = 1 kilocalorie burnt for energy by your body).

Are you entering your own food values on My Fitness Pal, or just choosing ones from the list?

I'm giving it a try and couldn't help but notice just how variable the results are depending upon which option you choose. The reliability of the user entered food values is all over the place. Depending upon which outwardly similar option you choose from the list can make a big difference. The problem with that is that there are literally hundreds of similar listings that you have to wade through to find decent entries that are fairly complete.

If you look at the picture below for example you could choose Weetabix & 200ml semi skimmed milk from the list but it's incomplete.

Looking at the food entries for today my food diary is already feeling bad.
    Last edited by WR304; 03-14-2013 at 01:28 PM.

mtbr member
    It's not a food triangle, but a food line. On one side is processed foods; on the other side, unprocessed. Try to stay on the unprocessed side as much as possible.

Instead of apple pies, eat apples. Instead of chicken McNuggets, eat chicken. Etc.

That combined with some caloric intake control, I've kept myself at a somewhat muscular 160-170 for the last 10 years (5'10").

It's not all genetics. I'm convinced that a very large percentage of people instead inherit bad eating habits.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    Burning 5609 calories in 6 hours of MTB riding (3x2 hour rides) is possible but likely to be on the high side unless you're burying yourself all ride.

Everyone's different but to try and give an idea of calories burnt here's some of my figures. From past rides I'll burn maybe 600 kilocalories per hour on a fairly hard offroad ride with no stopping (using the rough assumption that 1kilojoule of work recorded by a Powertap = 1 kilocalorie burnt for energy by your body). Flat out I'll burn maybe 925 kilocalories per hour which would give 5550 calories for 6 hours riding, but that's at 1 hour time trial pace on the road (using the same rough assumption that 1kilojoule of work recorded by a Powertap = 1 kilocalorie burnt for energy by your body). If I'm riding at a gentler pace then it drops right down to 500 kilocalories or so per hour or lower (using the same rough assumption that 1kilojoule of work recorded by a Powertap = 1 kilocalorie burnt for energy by your body).

Are you entering your own food values on My Fitness Pal, or just choosing ones from the list?

I'm giving it a try and couldn't help but notice just how variable the results are depending upon which option you choose. The reliability of the user entered food values is all over the place. Depending upon which outwardly similar option you choose from the list can make a big difference. The problem with that is that there are literally hundreds of similar listings that you have to wade through to find decent entries that are fairly complete.

If you look at the picture below for example you could choose Weetabix & 200ml semi skimmed milk from the list but it's incomplete.

Looking at the food entries for today my food diary is already feeling bad.
    I've noticed this also, right now I'm just trying to raise my own awareness. I don't consider it an exact science. As I use it more and refine my diet, I'll start weighing everything I eat. I'm at the start of a very long and windey road, but give it a year and it will all be second nature (hopefully).

One food that keeps cropping up time and time again is almonds. Almonds and blueberries could be a winner for the afternoon! One mid morning snack I do like is a small can of tuna. I'm slowly but surely moving away from processed foods, it's not easy but I'm getting there slowly.

I'll check out that "racing weight" book, sounds interesting...

Thanks for all your help guys, appreciate it.

mtbr member
    If you've got the My Fitness Pal app installed on your smartphone or tablet its integrated barcode scanner appears to work quite well for filtering out the duplicate or incomplete food entries.

Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com

I went round the kitchen scanning everything I could find. The My Fitness Pal entries for barcode scanned items seemed to be of a better quality and closer to the food labels than just doing a search on food names. I've done food diaries before from time to time but the ease of use with this is nice.

It's saying that I've eaten 3,142 calories in total today: 391g carbs, 75g fat, 182g protein and 188g sugar. Not many healthy snacks in there then.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Healthy snacks!

OK, so for anyone here that is following a Paleo/semi-Paleo diet, are there any suggestions for Paleo-friendly on-the-bike snacks? Like if you're you doing enduro type rides... easy to pack foods that can be eaten on the go, or during a break on the trail?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkGX View Post
    OK, so for anyone here that is following a Paleo/semi-Paleo diet, are there any suggestions for Paleo-friendly on-the-bike snacks? Like if you're you doing enduro type rides... easy to pack foods that can be eaten on the go, or during a break on the trail?
    Heres a start...

I make a honey roll using honey,almonds,flax seeds and coconut on the outside.

The Ultimate Paleo Diet Food List | Ultimate Paleo Guide

mtbr member
    Do you have a suggestion for a "normal" work day breakfast? I do pretty well unkowingly sticking to the Paleo Diet, but I eat yogurt for breakfast. What can I replace that with? I know fruits could be one idea, but what could I mix in with the fruit?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Healthy snacks!-bacon.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by mevadus View Post
    Do you have a suggestion for a "normal" work day breakfast? I do pretty well unkowingly sticking to the Paleo Diet, but I eat yogurt for breakfast. What can I replace that with? I know fruits could be one idea, but what could I mix in with the fruit?
    Here is what I do:

On strength training days I focus on protein. I'll have half a protein shake (whey powder, fruit, and either milk or coconut milk) before my workout. After the workout I'll have the rest of the shake, some eggs (usually hard boiled brought to work), and maybe some bacon and/or avocado. And I'll often add some fruit as well.

If I'm at home I'll scramble some eggs with spinach, and maybe add some cheese and/or ham.

On biking/cardio days I'll eat more carbs. I might still have a protein shake, but I'll also have a few date/coconut bars and maybe a banana. After the ride I'll probably have some eggs as well and maybe some more fruit.

The yogurt you're eating is fine, although if it's the sugary fruity kind you might be better off with plain Greek yogurt. You could also make a smoothie with plain yogurt, fruit, and either milk or coconut milk, and maybe some whey protein. A smoothie with yogurt, coconut milk, vanilla whey powder, and pineapple tastes really good. A smoothie with chocolate whey powder and banana is also very tasty.

Ideally, you should be eating some veggies with every meal, but a lot of people find this hard to do at breakfast. You can make an omelet with veggies in it, or put some greens in a shake, or even have a salad with breakfast. My favorite is to cook some fresh spinach in butter, then scramble some eggs into it.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Healthy snacks!

Any Paleo dieters out there with favorite suggestions for favorite night-before-race dinner and day of race breakfast ideas? Doing my first races ever this weekend so hoping I can fuel up properly.

mtbr member
    Eating like people did hundreds of years ago? One of the dumbest f*cking things I've ever heard of. If you don't like that the poster is looking for healthy snacks that fill him up and your deeply offended by this thought process - don't f*cking respond to a thread where people might want to talk about it.

I'm pretty sure that if possible, the cavemen would have loved to eat more food and what they ate was a factor of their environment and not because they were trying to live healthy. If we were living hundreds of years ago, you would have been clubbed over the head for being an @sshole.
    "Like" the Brewery Ommegang facebook team page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...18356588347806

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by qdawgg View Post
    Eating like people did hundreds of years ago? One of the dumbest f*cking things I've ever heard of. If you don't like that the poster is looking for healthy snacks that fill him up and your deeply offended by this thought process - don't f*cking respond to a thread where people might want to talk about it.

I'm pretty sure that if possible, the cavemen would have loved to eat more food and what they ate was a factor of their environment and not because they were trying to live healthy. If we were living hundreds of years ago, you would have been clubbed over the head for being an @sshole.

Lol!!! You nailed it, bro!

But seriously, there are aspects of that diet that are very healthy. No one is suggesting (at least not me) that we go back to being cavemen. I think the idea is to just simplify our diet and remove toxic ingredients from our foods.

mtbr member
    Lol!!! You nailed it, bro!

But seriously, there are aspects of that diet that are very healthy. No one is suggesting (at least not me) that we go back to being cavemen. I think the idea is to just simplify our diet and remove toxic ingredients from our foods.
    Which I completely agree with and have been trying to do more and more especially since I started racing. Just real annoying when someone is trying to get a straight up answer and someone criticizes him for being hungry and feeding (no pun intended) into corporate greed.

mtbr member
    It seems that when talking about nutrition this paleo diet keeps coming up. I'm not really interested in paleo tbh. Although I agree with the the principle of removing the toxic ingredients form our foods as mentioned by wjphillips. I'm trying to cut out anything processed. Slowly but surely.

Why snack? I aim to eat 6 times a day. Breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, and then dinner. Eating smaller and more often. I quite often eat grapes, and a small portion of tuna. I've known people to eat almonds and beef jerky. Just wanted to see if anyone else had any good suggestions... I might get some chicken breast slices or something..

mtbr member
    It seems that when talking about nutrition this paleo diet keeps coming up. I'm not really interested in paleo tbh. Although I agree with the the principle of removing the toxic ingredients form our foods as mentioned by wjphillips. I'm trying to cut out anything processed. Slowly but surely.

Why snack? I aim to eat 6 times a day. Breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, and then dinner. Eating smaller and more often. I quite often eat grapes, and a small portion of tuna. I've known people to eat almonds and beef jerky. Just wanted to see if anyone else had any good suggestions... I might get some chicken breast slices or something..
    I've done the tuna thing and still do sometimes. The problem I've found for me is I don't feel full at all affter eating it. You could do this with rice or whatever but I bring a small portion of Tabouli and eat it with the tuna. It adds flavor, texture, and substance to the tuna and has good nutritional properties.

A couple "snacks" I eat.
    - Half an english muffin with a little peanut butter
    - I keep a big tub of peanuts and a serving of peanuts is a decent amount. I question this one all the time because I eat a ton of peanut butter and peanuts/butter have quite a bit of calories but at the same time makes me feel full
    - A glass, or one of the big cans of low sodium V8 makes me feel really full. For lunch I'm now able to eat a small yogurt and big can of v8 and feel full for a few hours where I then have a granola bar.
    - Mini clif bar seems to feel more dense than some granola bars
    - Hummus with veggies
    - I try to eat smaller breakfast/lunch so a snack when I get home might be a bowl of cereal, oatmeal, or english muffin I mentioned above. The calories aren't significant b/c I'm not eating large calorie meals prior to cereal as a snack.

mtbr member
    Something to consider on the snacks is the soda and candy spike your blood sugar. Also the soda makes you thirsty. The sugary snacks don't fill you up very well. Protein along with carbs reduces the blood sugar spike (Dr. types feel free to correct me)

The biggest thing is it is a habbit. You are used to reaching for candy/soda in the afternoon. Stop consuming that junk and you'll get used to it. Maybe fill the time with something different. Get up and go for a walk or something.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member

Healthy snacks!

In Summer, to prevent high muscle acidity I squeeze lemons into my water for rides. I think there are sensible dietary notes on here, a balanced diet & life. I enjoy snacking and healthy snacks include Almonds/Nuts to Fruits, whilst for meals it's always cooked from scratch but healthier meats. Chicken mince replaces beef mince etc

We are growing Cress at home. Research shows that it has a high amount of antioxidants. My bike magazine indicated that if taken 30mins before a ride it helps reduce free radicals in the bloodstream that build up during rides.

Manuka honey has healing properties. I take local honey in my tea, on high grain toast. The Manuka honey has been after catching the whooping cough and it seems to help.

mtbr member

Healthy snacks!

Quote Originally Posted by BoostN7

*ehem*

50% Carbs
    21% Protein
    29%Fat

Here's my food diary from last week. I'm 6' tall and weigh around 176lbs at the moment. My normal riding weight was around 149lbs last August. All the months of being completely sedentary and unable to move have taken their toll, although you also have to factor the weight of the external fixator holding my broken left femur together also.

I've been getting out and walking most days on crutches, along with some weight training and physiotherapy to try and improve my mobility and upper body strength. I'm not eating as many calories as if I was able to ride but the actual foods are the same, just in smaller quantities. The main change when riding would be that the amount of carbohydrates eaten goes up.

Looking at the overall percentages it's quite interesting that your diet is much higher in fat, but then my diet is much higher in sugar. I always have protein shakes (mixed in 500ml of water) as part of my daily routine. It does two things, ensures I get plenty of protein for recovery but also makes sure I'm drinking fluids throughout the day.

I drink a lot of fruit juice but no alcohol. I was quite surprised just how high in sugar some of the fruit juices I drink are. Ocean Spray Cranberry and Blackcurrant flavour in particular.

I also eat a lot of yogurt and weetabix cereal.

It's a shame the My Fitness Pal summary doesn't let you see what time of day the meals are eaten.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mevadus View Post
    Even though I'm mostly Paleo (although I follow Paleo for Athletes by Friel/Cordain, which recognizes that endurance athletes need more calories than can reasonably be consumed in a typical paleo diet and so includes some extra foods) I still eat yogurt once in a while because my wife buys it and it's there I'll typically add a teaspoon of ground flax seed, a 1/2 scoop (~10g) of protein powder, a big handful of fresh blueberries and a small handful of walnuts or almonds. Tasty, filling, and almost Paleo.

I also have pizza pretty much at least once a week. I'll get something like the Herb Chicken Mediterranean Delite from Papa Murphy's though, and add a chopped up chicken breast, some more spinach, and maybe one or two roma tomatoes sliced thin, ooh, and some freshly sliced garlic, before I bake it. Yummy. Papa Murphy's is made to order, unbaked, pizzas that you bake at home for those not familiar with it. The Delite is their thin crust (more paleo'er). I never order the completely unhealthy options, like the meat lover's pizza, or 5-cheese. Most of those meats are really more fat than meat, like 80% of calories from fat. It's more like meat-flavored lard. I have a hard time justifying eating something THAT bad for me. Perhaps if I was really hungry and it was free, but I'd probably look around for something better or at the least limit myself.

To me, Paleo is less about the whole caveman thing, and more about consuming foods that are nutritionally dense, instead of just calorically dense. Hence, if you just add some healthy stuff to almost anything, like adding some fresh fruits or vegetables as above, you end up being filled up faster, eating less of the unhealthy stuff, and the food usually tastes better with the extra fresh ingredients added.

I'll also eat bacon with my eggs, and a bowl full of steel cut oats, fresh fruit, walnuts, some brown sugar and almond milk after a big ride too. If I just burned 2800 calories or something, I figure I need to get calories in from somewhere, those are my days to go nuts a little. Mmmm, ice cream.

A ride like this would be an example:
    80.1mi
    Distance
    4,442ft
    Elevation
    04:22:40
    Moving Time
    Calories
    Fall in Fruita/GJ. F' yeah! Lunch Loops are riding sweet and so is everything else.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    To the OP, man being allergic to nuts sucks. They're such a part of my diet for my mid-morning and afternoon snacks. Protein, fat, and a bit of fiber, just that along with an apple or banana is enough so that I'm not starving by lunch or dinner. Do you have access to a fridge and microwave? I'm thinking if you bring like a half or quarter of a piece of chicken breast to heat up quick and then also have an apple you could get the same effect. I'll grill up a bunch of chicken thighs at the beginning of the week, and if I heat one of those up (a small one, or half of one if it's just for a snack) and then put it on top of a bed of baby spinach leaves, and cut it up, just the oil and heat from the chicken flavors the spinach, with some in each bite and tastes good. I season the chicken before I put it on the grill also. Salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika on both sides. Heat on high (although I use charcoal), the grate/grill set low, close cover, and 4.5-5 minutes on each side. Smooth side first.

If you have that along with a piece of fruit, you'll be set for a good snack. The chicken smells really good though, other people in your office will get jealous.
    Fall in Fruita/GJ. F' yeah! Lunch Loops are riding sweet and so is everything else.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkGX View Post
    I just use gels. At that point you just need calories. If my long rides were slower I'd look at incorporating more real foods. We just tried baking some granola bar type things this weekend with a recipe my wife brought from someone at work, but she's allergic to artificial sweeteners (even Stevia, which it called for) and didn't add any sugar to compensate, so I think they were sort of blah. My suggestion for the next batch she makes is to add some brown sugar and some coconut oil (they were dry too). I'm going to experiment with some recipes over the next day or two. I'll see what I come up with. I did make some brownies with almond meal instead of flour a couple weeks ago, and they came out great. I would be pretty happy munching on one of those during a ride, if it was a sit down and break out the snacks type of ride.

mtbr member

Healthy snacks!

I was just watching an advertisement on TV for Tropicana Pure Premium Orange Juice (made by Pepsico). The TV advert was saying how it's 100% pure fruit juice with nothing added. Sounds like a healthy option?

http://www.pepsicobeveragefacts.com/...59&i=ntrtn

I thought I'd look up whether it's true or not. When you think how is it possible for every carton of juice (despite being made from different batches of fruit) to taste exactly the same there must be something going on.

This link is an interesting read. It isn't something that I was aware of.

http://www.foodrenegade.com/secret-i...-orange-juice/

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    For me, I have a weak spot for chocolate and banana, but I'm kind of lazy to find the healthy snacks and try them one by one, as there are just too many of them.

So I took the time to find a store which sells healthy snacks instead. It's called OhMyGreen.

It's pretty cool, they actually do try the products one by one before they feature it.

I love it because they have quite a few chocolate and banana flavored snacks in it.

Oh My Green! - Customized tasty and healthy organic and non-GMO snacks for companies and individuals. - Oh My Green!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolao View Post
    For me, I have a weak spot for chocolate and banana, but I'm kind of lazy to find the healthy snacks and try them one by one, as there are just too many of them.

So I took the time to find a store which sells healthy snacks instead. It's called OhMyGreen.

It's pretty cool, they actually do try the products one by one before they feature it.

I love it because they have quite a few chocolate and banana flavored snacks in it.

Oh My Green! - Customized tasty and healthy organic and non-GMO snacks for companies and individuals. - Oh My Green!
    Shill???

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I think eggs and milk are the two best healthy options. Other than these I was also looking for some quick, healthy and cost effective snacks and searched a lot but now found one good option. It's chomp snack stick. It includes protein, fat and fibers. Nutrition information is given here http://www.gochomps.com/pages/nutrition . Please share if anyone knows any other cost effective and quick to eat option.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I have pkd, so I've been focusing on sodium levels in foods.

If you try to keep your sodium intake as low as possible, it eliminates a great deal of items you may be tempted to eat. I've been noticing a correlation between low/no salt and overall healthiness of the foods. I tend not to look at anything else, but I am also trying to gain weight and eat as many calories as I can.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Like, real food? Fruit and some nuts perhaps?

Why does it have to be in "bar" form?