mtbr member
    Feb 2013

headache the night after a race?

do you get those?
    I've gotten myself back into race-shape over the last year and a half, after being in fair to poor shape for 15-20 years, and I started racing again last fall (cyclocross races and cat2mtn, < one hour). I've always been good at pushing myself during races, and getting what feels like 'the most' effort out of myself.

Before you say "you're dehydrated" I deny alcohol 48 hrs prior to a race, just one cup of coffee race morning, lots of water after the coffee, about 20 oz of sports drink (cytomax or Cliffshot) in the hour before, and 24-40 oz of sports drink after, and lots of water after plus (about as much as I feel I can drink, along with food) 2 beers at/after dinner. I also get an insatiable appetite starting about an hour after racing, I feel full but still just want to eat and eat (maybe I'm eating too much!). The headaches are slowly getting better, and I don't get them after a hard workout, -which are not quite race pace, but I still get the post race headache. You too? Ideas?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    do you get those?
    I've gotten myself back into race-shape over the last year and a half, after being in fair to poor shape for 15-20 years, and I started racing again last fall (cyclocross races and cat2mtn, < one hour). I've always been good at pushing myself during races, and getting what feels like 'the most' effort out of myself.

Before you say "you're dehydrated" I deny alcohol 48 hrs prior to a race, just one cup of coffee race morning, lots of water after the coffee, about 20 oz of sports drink (cytomax or Cliffshot) in the hour before, and 24-40 oz of sports drink after, and lots of water after plus (about as much as I feel I can drink, along with food) 2 beers at/after dinner. I also get an insatiable appetite starting about an hour after racing, I feel full but still just want to eat and eat (maybe I'm eating too much!). The headaches are slowly getting better, and I don't get them after a hard workout, -which are not quite race pace, but I still get the post race headache. You too? Ideas?
    It's probably just a typical "effort headache" which is not that uncommon.

Headache After Intense Exercise | LIVESTRONG.COM

Exercise headaches - MayoClinic.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What color is your urine? Not just immediately after a race, but hours later. This is where the dehydration can be identified.

What is your sweating like? Esp comparing a hard workout vs a race.

For me, I have different types of headaches. Meaning, I have discovered how different ones mean different things. (how you can tell a caffine withdrawl headache vs a cold). I get lack of electrolyte headaches. Even when I'm hydrated I can get them.

What is your diet like? I ask this as lots of processed foods usually means lots of sodium. We cook most of our stuff from scratch, so when I'm sweating tons I get salt cravings. The amount of salt I eat would (and have) scared people. But I sweat it out.

It may not just be salt. Potassium and other minerals are included in your sweat and may be something you are short on.

Lastly, if they are getting better, you may have just been overdoing it and paying the price. I always push myself harder in a race than I can in a workout.

The questions are a place to start so we can help you figure it out. Others may have more thoughts. With mine, and $10, you might get a cup of coffee someplace.
    If you can be blissfully ignorant to the notion that something is impossible, then you might surprise yourself. -- Andrea138

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I get bad headaches after a race but it is due to dust in my sinuses. So much is kicked up during a race that my sinuses get way out of wack.

Outrunning zombies
    For sinus problems, try a neti pot. They flush out the sinuses very well.
    GF/Trek HiFi | Hardrock Sport Disc 29er
    If you don't eat **** every now and again, you aren't riding hard enough!

I'd rather be riding
    I always get these headaches as well. I've yet to find a solution for them.

mtbr member
    Looks like you hydrate good before, what about after the race? Proper hydration is important for recovery. What type of fluids are you taking in during the race?

After a race, I would eat a lot of fresh vegetables, salad type stuff. Lots of nutrients in those to help with recovery, and lots of water in vegetables to help with hydration, too. Throw some nuts and cheese in for fats that will help with nutrient absorption, and protein for muscle recovery. Or maybe include some good steak, or even better some fresh wild salmon, along with some brown rice for "good" carbs.

mtbr member

headache the night after a race?

You don't have any neck/shoulder soreness/stiffness do you? I used to get tension headaches particularly after races and it was mostly due to improper bike fit. I was stretched out too far which weighted my hands and my neck/shoulders ended up taking most of the load. Bad headaches usually followed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I don't eat great, but not horrible either. My favorite night before meal is at the good local Vietnamese place, lots of chicken, noodles, rice and veggies. I usually eat a breakfast burrito (eggs cheese little bit of ham, mushrooms and onions) and hashbrowns (in olive oil, with sea salt) race morning, and I bring a sandwich or two along (decent whole grain bread), maybe a granola bar or two and some dried fruit. Lots of water and another bottle of recovery drink (cytomax usually) afterwards. My neck is ok, I've gotten whiplash twice in car wrecks and I don't think it's my neck.

It's probably just from the exertion, like in the livestrong link up top. I can hit 190 on my hrm and recover during training, I'll bet I stay above 175 the whole race, - I should wear my hrm next race. I hate taking pills, but I'll bet the answer is to just take a tylenol or whatever in the evening post race.