mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Have You Ever Had One Of Those Seasons?

This is my first year racing Cat2 in the Arizona State/MBAA series. I dabbled a little bit last year racing in the SS open class and never got near the podium. This year I built up a new bike and put in some hours.

The first race out I got a 3rd in the Cat2 35-49 class. Then I got bit by a dog while out riding and missed a week of riding before the second race. Between the 9 stitches,antibiotics and tetinus shot I had a hard time riding with very much intensity. I still managed a 5th at the second round but was back with guys that I easily beat at round one. Now the week before the third round I have a 101* fever,sore throat and bad cough. My kids and wife are all sick also so I will be skipping the race tomorrow. It is also 3.5 hours from my house so saving the gas money will more then make up for the entry fee I paid.

Rant over! I guess the life of an amateur MTB racer sucks sometimes.

mtbr member
    They still give you a drop race don't they? When I was racing I had Giardia and was hurling on the bike. DNF! Good job so far though!
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yes, I have. And in hindsight, I tried to 'come back' to hard, trying to make up for 'lost workouts', etc. As I am writing this - it is like 'what was I thinking?'. Basically, I went 'backwards' with my training and felt like 'crap' the rest of the season.

My advice to you - come back slowly.

Your body has gone thru a lot of stress allready this season. You need to come back slowly. Antibiotics do not help - they kill the 'good' bacteria in your intestines.

You did the wise thing in not racing - "when in doubt, leave it out" - as far as workouts or races when go when you are not feeling well.

I found a couple of articles for you - I am not trying 'to bring you down' while you are 'under the weather' - just trying to help you with the rest of your season.

I hope everyone gets well soon.

Joe Friel - Missed Workouts

Joe Friel's Blog: Peak Performance Predictors

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz123 View Post
    Yes, I have. And in hindsight, I tried to 'come back' to hard, trying to make up for 'lost workouts', etc. As I am writing this - it is like 'what was I thinking?'. Basically, I went 'backwards' with my training and felt like 'crap' the rest of the season.

My advice to you - come back slowly.

Your body has gone thru a lot of stress allready this season. You need to come back slowly. Antibiotics do not help - they kill the 'good' bacteria in your intestines.

You did the wise thing in not racing - "when in doubt, leave it out" - as far as workouts or races when go when you are not feeling well.

I found a couple of articles for you - I am not trying 'to bring you down' while you are 'under the weather' - just trying to help you with the rest of your season.

I hope everyone gets well soon.

Joe Friel - Missed Workouts

Joe Friel's Blog: Peak Performance Predictors

Excellent advice! And it is still early in the season, you will come back strong.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!