mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Have You Ever Had One Of Those Seasons?

This is my first year racing Cat2 in the Arizona State/MBAA series. I dabbled a little bit last year racing in the SS open class and never got near the podium. This year I built up a new bike and put in some hours.

The first race out I got a 3rd in the Cat2 35-49 class. Then I got bit by a dog while out riding and missed a week of riding before the second race. Between the 9 stitches,antibiotics and tetinus shot I had a hard time riding with very much intensity. I still managed a 5th at the second round but was back with guys that I easily beat at round one. Now the week before the third round I have a 101* fever,sore throat and bad cough. My kids and wife are all sick also so I will be skipping the race tomorrow. It is also 3.5 hours from my house so saving the gas money will more then make up for the entry fee I paid.

Rant over! I guess the life of an amateur MTB racer sucks sometimes.

mtbr member
    They still give you a drop race don't they? When I was racing I had Giardia and was hurling on the bike. DNF! Good job so far though!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yes, I have. And in hindsight, I tried to 'come back' to hard, trying to make up for 'lost workouts', etc. As I am writing this - it is like 'what was I thinking?'. Basically, I went 'backwards' with my training and felt like 'crap' the rest of the season.

My advice to you - come back slowly.

Your body has gone thru a lot of stress allready this season. You need to come back slowly. Antibiotics do not help - they kill the 'good' bacteria in your intestines.

You did the wise thing in not racing - "when in doubt, leave it out" - as far as workouts or races when go when you are not feeling well.

I found a couple of articles for you - I am not trying 'to bring you down' while you are 'under the weather' - just trying to help you with the rest of your season.

I hope everyone gets well soon.

Joe Friel - Missed Workouts

Joe Friel's Blog: Peak Performance Predictors

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz123 View Post
    Yes, I have. And in hindsight, I tried to 'come back' to hard, trying to make up for 'lost workouts', etc. As I am writing this - it is like 'what was I thinking?'. Basically, I went 'backwards' with my training and felt like 'crap' the rest of the season.

My advice to you - come back slowly.

Your body has gone thru a lot of stress allready this season. You need to come back slowly. Antibiotics do not help - they kill the 'good' bacteria in your intestines.

You did the wise thing in not racing - "when in doubt, leave it out" - as far as workouts or races when go when you are not feeling well.

I found a couple of articles for you - I am not trying 'to bring you down' while you are 'under the weather' - just trying to help you with the rest of your season.

I hope everyone gets well soon.

Joe Friel - Missed Workouts

Joe Friel's Blog: Peak Performance Predictors

Excellent advice! And it is still early in the season, you will come back strong.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

Members who have read this thread: 0