mtbr member
    May 2010

Hand Numbness Only When Racing

Hey Guys

Ive recently been racing alot of 50km and upwards on pure single track and my hands have been numbing. When i train its fine no matter how far i go but then when i race usually at the end in the last 10km my hands go numb.

I used to run ESI racers grips so i changed to a Ritchey foam grip because of the thickness. It did help abit but on my weekend race (Capital Punishment) i still felt it in the last decent. I work at a bike shop and i dont wanna change my bar or stem because it feels nice and aggressive.

I run fox digit glove and was either thinking of getting new grips again to something like a ergon or new glove to something with gel. Any ideas???

First Post cut me some slack

mtbr member
    Grip of death while racing perhaps?
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    May 2010
    yea thats what I was thinking just cause of the race pace but idn what I can do to change that?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Relax!!!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    lol alot easier said then done but it only seems to be on the downhill of Mt Stromlo (local MTB park used in worlds) so anything that will help just down hill

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I used to get the numb hands on DH. i tried gel gloves but they really didnt help and then I switch to ergons.

Once you get the angle dialed in they work great and I no longer get the numb hands.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Ok Thanks man thats prob want i needed to hear i was thinking new gloves before but ive been looking at the ergons alot but i think i might wait till the new GS range comes out but may i ask how you like then decending like techo stuff?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    At first descending was a bit different bc I used to use two fingers to brake on my old bike with V brakes. But then I put the Ergons on my new bike and moved my brake levers in towards the center of the handlebars so that I could get more leverage and use just the index finger on both brakes. This put 3 fingers plus the thumb on the grips which makes all the difference in the world to me on descents.

With one finger braking and the wing angle of the ergon dialed in theyre awesome and I actually prob descend better. It took about a half a ride to get used to them on descents but the lack of hand pain and greater control outweighed the inconvenience to me. When i do manuels i have to make sure my hands are in just the right spot in order to feather the brake properly but other than that theyre just like regular grips to me.

I used to get numbness in my hands on all long descents but now its a non-issue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Same experience on the Ergons for me. Went from numb pinkies to hands that felt great. Took me a couple of rides to dial in the angle, which I "thought" was right around the parking lot, and then ended up needing tweaking after my wrists weren't 100% happy after a couple of hours. After I got them right, I'm so comfortable on longer rides. Especially as you can change hang positions and treat the Ergons kind of like bar ends, cause they are so wide at the ends of the wings. Lastly, I find that I now descend better as I don't need to hold on so tight.

-Tom

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    experiment with different grips for sure. i like thicker grips. the Ergon GA1's are my current favorite!
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    grip of death. use to do it, but trained myself to relax with my grip and all is well.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    yea im thinking of going with my current grips and trying to just relax and chill decending and see how that goes otherwise new grips it is

but can i ask what people think of conditioning in general like to new seats, gloes, shoes and new grips? should u just put up with it or change it?

Members who have read this thread: 0