mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Hammer Nutrition Endurolyte Use During a Race

Hello,

Just started to use the Hammer Nutrition Endurolytes to ward off cramping late in races. Do any of you guys and gals use it during a race? If so what's the least awkward way to access the capsules and not fumble around with them? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Emptry them into your water?
    UK-Biking Shop now live - Also follow us on Facebook and Twitter

FasCat Coaching
    I usually take them during the long enduro races (100m/24hr) so never really had an issue with it. Just packed em in a small pill bottle and threw them in my jersey. pop the top and down a few and go///
    FasCat Coaching
    Personalized Coaching for All Cyclists

Not Smart Enough to Quit
    These are the most convenient way to carry them;

http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HN...CC,Accessories

For lap style enduros I preload them with whatever I need for each lap, then just swap out in the pit area. This is especially useful for me because I use Sportslegs & Endurolytes, so I'll put 2 SL & 2 ELs in each pouch.

Here's the drill; pull into the pit, swap out water bottle & pill holder, grab a snack & roll. Usually less than a minute!
    The standing eight count & three knockdown rules are in effect on this trail.

http://compvelo.com/content/

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    You can just pull them apart and dump the contents in a water bottle. This is the best way not to forget to take them. Just mix them in real good if not you can get a funny taste. I tryed this because they are kind of big and hard for me to swallow on the go.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Endurolytes Powder 150 Serv

You can buy the powder that is in the capsules as well. I use it in my sports drink or water. It doesn't wreck the taste much, and it's more convenient that messing with pills on a trail. On the Endurolytes order page, go to the Select Serving drop-down box and select 150 Serv Powder. Sports Basement also sells it if you're near one. http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HN...0047&AMI=10104

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Great tips as always! Thanks everyone.

Giant Anthem
    Quote Originally Posted by hkmeup
    Great tips as always! Thanks everyone.
    They taste disgusting in your water if you dose correctly, take an empty mint dispenser like a tic tac or something (not sure of my exact one) then when ready pull it out of your spandex (leg) flip the top and dump in your required dose. I did 2 at a time every approx half hour during hot humid races to prevent cramps. It's a bit awkward but worked for me. Some people a coin purse that splits in the middle as you squeeze it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've only needed to take an endurolyte once during a XC race. I carried the Hammer pill pouch (not sure if it's still on their site). It was sort of awkward to get a pill out, but just opened it up and stuck the tongue in there. Takes a few tries to "snag" the right pill sometimes.

I've used them during 12 hour races, but those are laps and I've had time to stop for a 2-3 minute break and take a pill while standing at the pit.

No longer 26
    I like them emptied into the hammer gel flask with a serving or 2 of gel and the rest filled with water. Usually good for 2 pulls of fluid.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richy
    Emptry them into your water?
    Ditto. That's what I do as well.

mtbr member
    I used to take the pills during the race untill I figured out that it was the interval training that really took care of the cramps. Anyway, I now take 4 sportlegs 1/2 before the race and then empty the contents of two capsules per water bottle. I also. carry gels - one per lap

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Outside of individual preference, are Sport Legs and Endurolytes essentially the same thing? I've used SL's but not Endurolyte. Is the basic difference that End's replace electrolytes while SL's do not?

UF Engineering Slave
    I just put the powder in my drink, but if you want to use capsules check out:

http://www.saltstick.com/

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Electrolyte Imbalance vs Physical Exertion Cramping

Quote Originally Posted by mtcowen
    I used to take the pills during the race untill I figured out that it was the interval training that really took care of the cramps. Anyway, I now take 4 sportlegs 1/2 before the race and then empty the contents of two capsules per water bottle. I also. carry gels - one per lap
    I've looked at some of the forums on cramping and have found that many people believe that cramping is indeed an electrolyte imbalance issue while others believe that it's more of a physical exertion issue (going harder and/or longer than typical).

Since most people push it harder in races than they typically ever do in training, will products like Endurolytes still offer help if the cramps are caused more by the physical exertion reason?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I have had cramping issues for 7 years that I have raced nad have worked with coaches etc ..I have tried all sorts of diet, supplements and intervals and the only thing that has helped is Sportlegs and Endurolites, I use both. I think some of the cramping issues have to do with genetics.
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

mtbr member

Hmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by hkmeup
    I've looked at some of the forums on cramping and have found that many people believe that cramping is indeed an electrolyte imbalance issue while others believe that it's more of a physical exertion issue (going harder and/or longer than typical).

Since most people push it harder in races than they typically ever do in training, will products like Endurolytes still offer help if the cramps are caused more by the physical exertion reason?

Thanks!
    Good question...... I have been asking myself that very question. I was adjusting my training, and my endurolyte / sportleg intake at the same time; thus, I did not race without them and never really had the opportunity to see if I was feeling the same without taking them during a race. I don't think they can hurt your performance; but, they can add up $$$. Once the 2009 season gets into full swing I will try to race without them and see if they are truly something I need to spend $$ on. I am sure there are others out there with more experience who could give you a yes or no answer to the question.