Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H1n1

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

H1n1

is going through my work like crazy. Kids are dropping like flies (they are getting sick not dieing). Three of my athlete were hit pretty hard by it last week. So far I have been successful in avoiding it, but I doubt my long term success.

Immunizations for me are at least two weeks away. Assuming that I haven't had it by that time, I think will get the shot.

What would you do?

mtbr member
    Seems only a problem for those with underlying conditions, like most flu. Folks I know who've had it have had worse ones, in terms of effect. Better to prepare oneself, in terms of reduced stress, rest, good food etc. Leave the vax for the old & the young, and develop your own antibodies "au naturel"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I had H1N1 a couple of weeks ago. It's not even that bad, maybe 2-3 days that I couldn't ride. I wouldn't get the shot.

ups and downs
    Considering they announced that they are being short shipped on vaccines in BC, and it could be end of December before their will be enough for the general public without underlying health problems, you'll likely acquire immunity the hard way. It's been through the population in 1957 and 1976, so you may have been exposed before, which would reduce the severity if it smacks you now.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    I had it about 4 weeks ago. Typical flu symptoms with the addition of intestinal problems. Sore achy feeling, fatigue, fever, chills, cough....... Got over the major symptoms in about 4 days, but the fatigued feeling lasted about a week. I'm still coughing from time to time. Had a race yesterday and coughed for about 5 minutes non stop after I finished. If you have availability to an H1N1 shot, I'd get it. It's not really worse than the regular flu, but if it's that rampant in your area, odds are you will get it too.
    "Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation".

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    If your fitness could benefit with an extended period/block of couch intervals.. than by all means, skip the Vac.

If you want to stay active, and not risk bronchitis, ear infection, antibiotics, relapse, and/or a lingering cough for a month.. than don't get the Flu.

Our area, Eastern WA, has been hit pretty hard. Many people are developing bad coughs/bronchitis and ear infections... and relapses, or bi-phase symptoms. Normal Flu stuff, but lots of people on antibitics and long lingering syptoms.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

nope

I'd skip it. I'm not a vaccination type guy tho...I got the H1N1 two weeks ago. I was really sick for two days, and then a little affected for 2 days after that. I was also coming off of a 24 Solo, so my immune system was toast. My wife, 1 year old. 5 year old, and folks all got it from me. Each of them was mildy sick for 2 days, and never got too bad.

I'd rather be sick for a couple days than get injected with mercury and who knows what else... The two times I did get the flu shot, I got the flu a few days later...I know other people who swear by it, but I'm not a fan.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Those of you who have had H1N1....were you actually tested? Based on the news, they are saying most doctors aren't even testing any more...takes too long for results and costs money for the hospital.

Did you actually get tested and it came up positive for H1N1??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk
    Those of you who have had H1N1....were you actually tested? Based on the news, they are saying most doctors aren't even testing any more...takes too long for results and costs money for the hospital.

My daughter was tested and came up positive for H1N1. I got the same symptoms about a week later, and my doc said he was 99.9% sure it was H1N1, but didn't test me.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

test

They tested my kids, who got sick two days after me, and they came up positive. I didn't go into the doctor as the chest cold never got bad enough.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

I got tested for H1N1 and it came back positive.
    If you go to the doctor and they want to test you for it make sure they do the blood test, the nose test is terrible, and takes forever to get the results. Also make sure if they test you they do the Flu test AND the H1N1 test. Because my flu test came back negative but the H1N1 test was positive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Get yourself sick.

Seriously.

Family (including self) had the malaise and upper respiratory symptoms a couple of weeks ago.

Nothing so bad that we had to go to see anybody, but after we got better and the youngest had a well-checkup that had been scheduled months in advance, the pediatrician said it was almost certainly H1N1 since that's what's going around, so it should be assumed that we got immunity to it.

We would have no sooner put ourselves thru any of the strain testing than we would get vaccinated, which we wouldn't/don't do anyway, H1N1 or not.

While I would have rather none of us had gotten ill, it wasn't any worse than dealing with a moderate/bad cold, but we were are not unhealthy people to begin with, so I think the odds are in your favor.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Henchman
    develop your own antibodies "au naturel"
    +1

And then there are those who actually get the flu from the vaccination...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Healthy young people are dying from this. The ICU at work is full of H1N1 pateints, most on life support.
    Get the shot if you can.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim FtCO
    +1

and the chances of that happen are????

To me it is a simple question.

What is more likely I get the flu from the vaccination or get the flu from some snotty nosed kid?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If you don't have a pre-existing respiratory condition and live a healthy lifesyle you have little to worry about. The human body is designed and able to deal with infection if you are healthy. Eat right, drink water, wash your hands, and stay home if your sick, seems simple enough.

ups and downs
    Vaccines are all dead virus cultures, so you might get a seasonal flu after getting the H1N1 shot, but you wouldn't get the H1N1 flu unless you were already exposed to the H1N1 just prior to getting the vaccine. It takes about 10-14 days to build immunity from the vaccine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

This is not directed at you but in general.
    THEY ARE NOT TESTING FOR IT BECAUSE THERE IS NO REASON TO
    +]Its a mild case of the flu, they could totally botch the seasonal vaccine AGAIN and you could get a much worse strain of the regular flu.

+There is no medicine/treatment for it, everything that is done it do ward off symptoms(fever, dehydration, nvm). Tamiflu can/kinda/sorta work on the regular flu if its diagnosed and given within the first 2-3 days

+Its hitting kids hard because of the gross number of incompetent parents that cannot take care of their children properly. I.E. ignoring fevers and their treatment, letting them drink soda instead of water, failing to foresee complications with pre existing medical conditions

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by used2Bhard
    They tested my kids, who got sick two days after me, and they came up positive. I didn't go into the doctor as the chest cold never got bad enough.
    productive cough=cold
    non productive cough=flu

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    Vaccines are all dead virus cultures, so you might get a seasonal flu after getting the H1N1 shot, but you wouldn't get the H1N1 flu unless you were already exposed to the H1N1 just prior to getting the vaccine. It takes about 10-14 days to build immunity from the vaccine.
    The nasal spray is live virus

ups and downs
    They're only doing the jab in BC.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rroadie
    Healthy young people are dying from this. The ICU at work is full of H1N1 pateints, most on life support.
    Get the shot if you can.
    And the ICU is never filled with the 250,000 and 500,000 people that die of REGULAR flu.

Please unsubscribe for the alarmist attitude driving this farce

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosker
    If you don't have a pre-existing respiratory condition and live a healthy lifesyle you have little to worry about. The human body is designed and able to deal with infection if you are healthy. Eat right, drink water, wash your hands, and stay home if your sick, seems simple enough.

I am not worried about dieing from it. The chances of that happen are very remote, probably better chance of getting killed on a bike ride. But in getting immunized can mean not having to spend a couple of days on the couch then I am all over that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by used2Bhard
    My wife, 1 year old. 5 year old, and folks all got it from me.
    I bet your family, friends, neighbors, and co-workers are totally stoked that you're "not a vaccination type guy". Good for you.

mtbr member
    Geoff Kabush had it...
    Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly hardtail
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel SI 4
    Cervelo R3
    Specialized Crux Elite

mtbr member
    Get the vaccination if you have access to it. This flu seems to be hitting healthy people much harder then the normal flu seasons.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Here in Ontario, we had a healthy 13 year old hockey player die last week, which prompted many of those sitting on the fence to go for the vaccine. Unfortunately, they only had about 15 clinics open in a region with 9 million people , so it was a bit of a mess. My family got them, as two of our kids are in daycare, and one qualifies as high-risk (6 months to 5 years).

One point of interest: For the first time that I can recall from a vaccine or blood donation, I had a significant side-effect. The pain at the injection site was so bad (brush teeth with other arm bad) 3 days later that it kept me up most of the night. I eventually treated it exactly like the sports injury it felt like (ice and ibuprofen) and its bearable now, although I still can't lift with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by warnette
    And the ICU is never filled with the 250,000 and 500,000 people that die of REGULAR flu.

Please unsubscribe for the alarmist attitude driving this farce
    Do you work in the health care industry?
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by COLINx86
    I had H1N1 a couple of weeks ago. It's not even that bad, maybe 2-3 days that I couldn't ride. I wouldn't get the shot.
    if it wasn't that bad - how do you know you had H1N1? did you go to the hospital and get tested? or self diagnosis? ... or maybe you just had a normal cold.

i know three people who have had h1n1 - ALL very, very sick... Not something anyone would want.

Loving Life
    I wont be getting it, mercury and aluminum (preservatives) are not something I want in my blood stream. My immune system has been awsome in the past and I eat a healthy diet with tons of water. If I get it I'll deal with the symptoms for a couple of days like any other flu.

Over 90% of the people who have died from it have had an underlying chronic illness. Out of the 10% suposedly "healthy" how many had underlying illnesses that were not yet found. And obesity and an unhealthy sedentry lifestyle as well as a terrible diet do not count as underlying chronic illness'. So be careful when you hear that H1N1 targets "healthy" people. A virus cannot target a specific population of healthy people. If you look at the rate of death from H1N1 vs. the normal flu, there not a big deviation.

Side note: most of the makers of the vaccine won't take it for themselves or their families...raises a big question

People need to think for themselves and not what other people tell them to think

don't shoot me down
    all IMO

mtbr member
    May 2006
    They released the people that died of it in Alberta 14 total so far, one man, the rest women, young and old, two women were indians.

That should kinda indicate who should get the shots....don't you think.
    Last edited by jeffscott; 11-02-2009 at 09:43 AM.

mtbr member
    If you put aside all of the doom and gloom press coverage the media is bombarding us with and try to dig up the facts, it just doesn't make sense? H1N1 has been state time and time again that it is a flu strain that is less in severity to the seasonal flu. 99% of infected people will have standard symptoms. Most of the research available is spotty at best once you look who funded the research (the drug company), the studies rarely use valid methods and remove people from the trial if a problem arises.
    When you look at the potential list of toxic additives in the vaccination you should be concerned: Thimerisol (mercury), aluminum, formaldehyde, squalene, glyceral and animal tissue.
    If nothing else we should look for the facts ourselves and not base a potentially serious outcome either way you go by the biased media. I know my decision without a shadow of don't and you all should really look to find those decisions on your own.

Loving Life
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    The released the people that died of it in Alberta 14 total so far, one man, the rest women, young and old, two women were indians.

That should kinda indicate who should get the shots....don't you think.
    look into the amount of people that die form the seasonal vaccine

all I'm saying is people only take medication (prescription drugs, vaccines, etc) if the benefits out weigh the side effects or cons. I personally do not take tylenol or advil because of a head ache I may get once a couple times a year. it not worth putting the strain on my lvier, I'd rather put up with a little pain in my head. That being said I took anti biotics after geting my wisdom teeth out because if an infection arises in my teeth it can quickly spread to my head and cause serious problems. The benefits out weighed the cons. In terms of the H1N1 vaccine there is no way that putting all those preservatives in my body not to mention that side affects that can happen neurologically, out weighs having a couple days of the flu and a minimal almost non existent risk of dying. Now my choice may be difference if I drank, smoked, did drugs, ate like ****, sat on my ass all day, and drank pop/coffee in place of water

I know my body better then anyone else and with the lifestyle I live I just dont see a benefit to the vaccine

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr
    Do you work in the health care industry?
    yes, i have been around countless confirmed cases since the "outbreak" and have yet to have any symptoms.
    Exercise+sleep+good health practices= a virtual cure

mtbr member
    I've had the seasonal flu once before, but it was many years ago. When I got H1N1 the first thing that hit me was a dry cough and fatigued feeling. After a couple of days, the cough became very severe, and I would go from feeling chilled to feeling like the inside of my chest was on fire. The fatigue got worse and worse. I would feel "ok" when I got up in the morning, but by lunch I was so tired I couldn't function. Then the intestinal problems hit. Fine one minutes, severe stomach pains the next, then in the bathroom for a little alone time. All that passed, except the cough, between days 4 and 7. I'm still coughing 4 weeks later.

I've never gotten a flu shot, but I'm starting next year! I can't say H1N1 is really worse, in my experience than the regular flu. It's gotten a lot of press, and is rampant in the Phoenix area right now.

LA CHÈVRE
    I got it 1.5 weeks ago. It's like a flu but turned up to 11. In addition to normal flu symptoms, I had bad muscle aches, neck and back were the worst, non-stop headaches, and the first day I was getting dizzy when up or even sit... I stayed home for 3 days, pretty much slept 2 straight days almost non-stop, drank a lot, took some echinacea... The third day I could do normal things fine and the fourth day I was almost back to normal.

As for cycling, it made me miss my last race of the season (an a-race too, Quebec CX Champs) and now I'm in the off-season so I didn't ride my bike much the week after it. I did my first ride with some kind of intensity yesterday and I felt surprisingly good.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    I got it 1.5 weeks ago. It's like a flu but turned up to 11. In addition to normal flu symptoms, I had bad muscle aches, neck and back were the worst, non-stop headaches, and the first day I was getting dizzy when up or even sit... I stayed home for 3 days, pretty much slept 2 straight days almost non-stop, drank a lot, took some echinacea... The third day I could do normal things fine and the fourth day I was almost back to normal.
    According to Trev, it's because of all that drinking, smoking, doing drugs, eating like sh!t, sitting on your ass all day, and pop/coffee that you're drinking. Shame on you!

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by flargle
    According to Trev, it's because of all that drinking, smoking, doing drugs, eating like sh!t, sitting on your ass all day, and pop/coffee that you're drinking. Shame on you!
    I'll never be a pro cyclist, might as well try to go for rock star!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Loving Life

re-read. Theres not much you can do to not get H1N1 but there is a lot you can do to not die from it when you get it such as being healthy^

what I was talking about earlier is how the media is saying that "healthy" people are dying from H1N1 and Healthy is a very subjective word

Since Dan just posted and he is clearly still alive what I said would obviously not apply to him, nor does it apply to every single case

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev
    Theres not much you can do to not get H1N1
    Actually, there's plenty one can do, including vaccination if available.

Apropos of nothing in particular:
    "60 Minutes" H1N1 Teen Goes Off Ventilator

mtbr member
    May 2006
    look into the amount of people that die form the seasonal vaccine

all I'm saying is people only take medication (prescription drugs, vaccines, etc) if the benefits out weigh the side effects or cons. I personally do not take tylenol or advil because of a head ache I may get once a couple times a year. it not worth putting the strain on my lvier, I'd rather put up with a little pain in my head. That being said I took anti biotics after geting my wisdom teeth out because if an infection arises in my teeth it can quickly spread to my head and cause serious problems. The benefits out weighed the cons. In terms of the H1N1 vaccine there is no way that putting all those preservatives in my body not to mention that side affects that can happen neurologically, out weighs having a couple days of the flu and a minimal almost non existent risk of dying. Now my choice may be difference if I drank, smoked, did drugs, ate like ****, sat on my ass all day, and drank pop/coffee in place of water

I know my body better then anyone else and with the lifestyle I live I just dont see a benefit to the vaccine
    So don't then

They make a special vaccine for pregnant women and other high risk people as well....just sos you know.

Loving Life
    I'm talking about once it enters your body. Obviously theres alot you can do such as not being beside someone who has it. Regardless how healthy you are if you get it then you have it.
    If you decide to get the vaccine then good for you, its your choice-its not for everyone

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kevbikemad
    if it wasn't that bad - how do you know you had H1N1? did you go to the hospital and get tested? or self diagnosis? ... or maybe you just had a normal cold.

i know three people who have had h1n1 - ALL very, very sick... Not something anyone would want.
    My 2nd post..

Quote Originally Posted by COLINx86
    I got tested for H1N1 and it came back positive.
    If you go to the doctor and they want to test you for it make sure they do the blood test, the nose test is terrible, and takes forever to get the results. Also make sure if they test you they do the Flu test AND the H1N1 test. Because my flu test came back negative but the H1N1 test was positive.

mtbr member
    The problem w/ vaccine vs not getting it, is that there is so little real data avail to help make any real or accurate decisions. For those of us who are sitting on the fence, it makes it quite difficult. I don't think any one can say that the media hasn't completely over hyped this, and I wonder how many people die from the regular flue every year, vs the H1N1 strain? Are the numbers that different? It seems indeed that there are very few cases of serious complications for healthy children/ adults from H1N1, but no exact or at least best estimate data. What is worse though is that there is NO, and I mean zero data on any complications from vaccines. And I think it would be quite silly to claim that that is because there are none. So how to you make up your mind??? the other potential problem w/ the vaccine is that if you get it, you'll have to get it every year coming, whereas if you just get ill, recover, then you are done. I know for me, I"ll pass on the vaccine, but for my kids, who are healthy w/ healthy diets, that is a much harder decisions...
    Last edited by bellullabob; 11-03-2009 at 10:46 AM.
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

Loving Life
    Quote Originally Posted by bellullabob
    The problem w/ vaccine vs not getting it, is that there is so little real data avail to help make any real or accurate decisions. For those of us who are sitting on the fence, it makes it quite difficult. I don't think any one can say that the media has completely over hyped this, and I wonder how many people die from the regular flue every year, vs the H1N1 strain? Are the numbers that different? It seems indeed that there are very few cases of serious complications for healthy children/ adults from H1N1, but no exact or at least best estimate data. What is worse though is that there is NO, and I mean zero data on any complications from vaccines. And I think it would be quite silly to claim that that is because there are none. So how to you make up your mind??? the other potential problem w/ the vaccine is that if you get it, you'll have to get it every year coming, whereas if you just get ill, recover, then you are done. I know for me, I"ll pass on the vaccine, but for my kids, who are healthy w/ healthy diets, that is a much harder decisions...
    H1N1 0.2 die for every 1000 *So far
    Seasonal Flu 3 die for every 1000

the problem I have is that when ever a child dies from it they are considered healthy. Because a child plays sports and is not obese does not mean they are healthy. I know when i was 15 and playing hockey I looked healthy but I ate like a pig. Most kids are extremely defficient in Vitamin D and C two key vitamins in your body's immune response.

But like I said before, everyone entitled to doing what they think is best, theres not really a right or wrong way to go about it

mtbr member
    H1N1 0.2 die for every 1000 *So far
    Seasonal Flu 3 die for every 1000
    Trev,

where did you get that data? thnx
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Christ, the misinformation in this thread is staggering.

1. They aren't testing in most cases because it ultimately doesn't matter. If you catch it early, you can get some anti virals... but most people don't go to the Dr soon enough for those to be effective.

2. Most likely H1N1 vaccine will be in your regular flu shot next season. People need to understand it's just a different strain of the flu. A regular flu shot already has vaccine to many strains in it.

2. You can't get "the flu" from getting a vaccination. Some people will get a fever after a vaccination, but that is just an inflammatory response to the vaccine, not the flu.

3. The nasal vaccine is a not live H1N1 flu... it is a recombinant, attenuated live vaccine. There is a difference..... do 5 minutes of research and you can learn a lot.

4. All this talk about preservatives is a bunch of crap. Do you even know what is in a particular vaccine (you should... no excuse to be ill-informed)? Again, do 5 minutes of research and you can find out. Even when mercury is used in vaccines, the amount is less than what you'd get from eatting a can a tuna...

Also, you can get vaccine that doesn't use Thimerosal as a preservative if you are really paranoid. All multi use vials of the vaccine have to have some type of perservative in them to prevent growth of bacteria. The single use vials (this includes ALL nasal vaccine) do not have Thimerosal. Since 2001, no new vaccine licensed by FDA for use in children has contained thimerosal as a preservative.

5. If you have access to the vaccine, I would suggest getting it (providing enough is around for high risk populations in your area). This just isn't to protect you... but to protect others through shared immunity. I would say this is especially important for those dealing with children/young adults and the elderly. If you don't have the flu, it's one more person that can't give it to them.

6. Most importantly, educate yourselves and talk to you doctor about questions and concerns that you have.... don't believe every 10 second sound bite you hear on Fox Noise or garbage you read on the internet.
    Last edited by briscoelab; 11-03-2009 at 10:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Specifics: To bellullabob, you couldn't' be more wrong in your statements. There is plenty of data on complications to regular flu vaccines over MANY years and the H1N1 vaccine from this year. Trials have been going on all year at sites around the world. H1N1 vaccine is just like any normal flu vaccine in how it's developed, tested, etc. Your ignorance to the data isn't an excuse here.

Also, your statement that if you get sick naturally from the flu meaning that you don't need a yearly shot is false as well. That is the very reason that there is a NEW flu vaccine each year.... the influenza virus can (and does) rapidly change. So, if you get the flu one year, you will have basically no immunity to the typical strain of flu the following year.

So, effectively every year there is a completely new flu vaccine made, tested, and then administered to everyone in the fall. This is no different than the developemtn of the H1N1 vaccine this year, other than a late start on development (despite fast tracking) and a very early start to the fllu season have made supply short for now.

Loving Life
    Quote Originally Posted by bellullabob
    Trev,

where did you get that data? thnx
    Taken form Dr.Matta during an interview in Toronto

There is also a Dr (cannot remember his name) that was interviewed in the National post wand his numbers were identical, Although I'm not big on getting info form the media, interviews aren't too bad, and it definately beats the internet

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Taken form Dr.Matta during an interview in Toronto

There is also a Dr (cannot remember his name) that was interviewed in the National post wand his numbers were identical, Although I'm not big on getting info form the media, interviews aren't too bad, and it definately beats the internet
    Here's some numbers from the CDC on yearly influenza hospitalizations/deaths: About 36,000 people in the US die each year from the seasonal flu. Over 200,000 people are hospitalized from it each year as well. Remember that this is from a population where a decent number of people get the flu shots and have at least some residual immunity from past infections and vaccinations.

H1N1 (an influenza type A virus strain) hasn't been seen in the population for a long time and hasn't been included in recent years vaccines. This is one of the reason it is a concern.... coupled with the fact that it is causing a lot of illness in population/age groups (like pregnant women... health young adults) that typically aren't as hard hit by typical season flu.

Loving Life
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab

4. All this talk about preservatives is a bunch of crap. Do you even know what is in a particular vaccine (you should... no excuse to be ill-informed)? Again, do 5 minutes of research and you can find out. Even when mercury was used in vaccines, the amount was about what you'd get from eatting a can a tuna...
    It all depends on what type of tuna you are talking about. Hospitals are telling people that there is the amount of mercury in it as a can of tuna. Just remember it is going directly in your blood stream. On the other side of things a Dr. has been quoted saying that there is roughly 25,000 times the amount of mercury in the vaccine as in a can of tuna. That why the most important thing is not to believe everything you hear ( goes both ways) educate yourself (not just from what the media or government says on their web sites) and then come up with your educated decision.
    You can ask to have the vaccine without mercury in some areas, if that is the case then why make it with mercury other then a longer shelf life. Aswell there are substances such as formaldehyde in it.

For me its not worth getting the vaccine, but like I said that doesn't make it wrong for someone else to get it and vise versa

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It all depends on what type of tuna you are talking about. Hospitals are telling people that there is the amount of mercury in it as a can of tuna. Just remember it is going directly in your blood stream. On the other side of things a Dr. has been quoted saying that there is roughly 25,000 times the amount of mercury in the vaccine as in a can of tuna. That why the most important thing is not to believe everything you hear ( goes both ways) educate yourself (not just from what the media or government says on their web sites) and then come up with your educated decision.
    You can ask to have the vaccine without mercury in some areas, if that is the case then why make it with mercury other then a longer shelf life. Aswell there are substances such as formaldehyde in it.

For me its not worth getting the vaccine, but like I said that doesn't make it wrong for someone else to get it and vise versa
    Preservatives HAVE to be used in the vaccine if you want it to last. This is critical in the multi dose vials. Even though a sterile needle is put into the vial each time, some microbes can get into it. If that vial then sits around there is a possibility that bacteria can grow up in the vaccine (this would be a LOT worse than the near trace amount of mercury in the vaccine).

Another note: The injectable vaccine is not Intravenous.... so it isn't being injected "directly into your blood stream".....

Again, single dose vials and all nasal spray vaccine (regular flu shot or H1N1 2009) don't use Thimerosal.
    Last edited by briscoelab; 11-03-2009 at 10:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'd get it if I could. Unfortunately it seems that it won't be available to normal healthy people that just don't want to get sick. Guess that's what you get when the government is running the show. Too many misinformed people think vaccines are a unhealthy or some sort of conspiracy. Usually it seems these people have little medical knowlege, and haven't discussed it with any sort of doctor.. but love to cry foul. There's a reason doctors go to school for as long as they do, they might just know more than the average joe blow mountain biker.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21
    I'd get it if I could. Unfortunately it seems that it won't be available to normal healthy people that just don't want to get sick. Guess that's what you get when the government is running the show. Too many misinformed people think vaccines are a unhealthy or some sort of conspiracy. Usually it seems these people have little medical knowlege, and haven't discussed it with any sort of doctor.. but love to cry foul. There's a reason doctors go to school for as long as they do, they might just know more than the average joe blow mountain biker.

If you look (not even that hard) at the history of immunizations or medications, you can see that it is far from spotless, at times w/ information being w/held... Of course people are going to be sceptical. Personally I refuse to blindly follow all medical advise. When a journal like JAMA is sponsored by a drug company, you know the info is going to at least slightly scewed. Our use of medication in this country has increased 10 folds, while our life expectancy has dropped significantly! Our mortality rate used to be one of the lowest in the world, but it is now worse than countries like Portugal. But we are getting off the subject here...

My bike/ race Blog

Loving Life
    Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21
    Then why is it that most of the people who make the vaccine will not take it nor will their family? Why is it that there a many Dr's who also will not take the vaccine, yah the Dr's that go to school for a long time and know more then the average joe blow mountain biker.

On a side note all of my professors (5) this semester which are either physiologists or biochemists and yes all have their phD's and have gone to school for a long time are also abstaining from taking the vaccine. But I'm just an average moutain biker what do I know

Bellulabob is correct. Pharmaceutical companies have their hands in alot further then people think, epsecially when it comes to journals and studie. When a pharmaceutical company sponsors a study Info is either withheld from the study or is not mentioned unless is supports the drug that the pharmaceutical company is manufacturing

Dr's are too quick now adays to prescribe meds. I dont blame them it's alot easier to give someone a prescription for blood pressure med, then to try and comvince them everytime they come into their office to exercise and follow a healthy diet.

ex: my sis was given a prescription for iron pills due to having low iron. The perscription cost roughly $45 for 60 pills. When she could have got iron pills over the counter for $18 for 180 pills. Both contained the same ingredients. The only difference was that one was made by GSK the other was not considered a medication and was a general dietary supplement not made by a big pharmaceutical company. If you're a Dr. and a company like GSK pays for a 2 week trip to the carribean for you, you will defiantely be prescribing their meds any other. It's the reality, I'm not saying I don't agree with the Dr's I'd do what they do. but this doesn't mean that the patient shouldn't educate themselves on the best options, which isn't always take med's

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Then why is it that most of the people who make the vaccine will not take it nor will their family?
    WTF are you talking about???

I know personally several Dr's that are involved in the H1N1 vaccine trials at different hospitals and all of them have taken the vaccine, as have their spouses and children, through the vaccine trial. It's just a normal flu vaccine... for a new strain. It isn't some government conspiracy to give you autism or take over your brain.

In fact, most doctors I know (and I know a lot of them) have either taken the vaccine or are trying to get it. They are doing this because it is the responsible thing for health care providers to do. That way they are protected, but more importantly, they can't spread it as easily to new patients.

Priority for it should really go to the most at risk age/health risk groups first and then the general population. Most of us can deal with a bout of the flu, even H1N1, and do OK.... some can't though... and protection is the best treatment.

Reality is that we are lucky this new strain doesn't cause worse disease... things could be a whole lot worse if it were more virulent. Of course, then everyone would be complaining that the government did too much testing and didn't get a vaccine out quick enough or some BS like that. More conspiracies to kill people and give the drug companies money....

There are thousands of researchers, Dr's, medical staff, etc all over the country (and world) working day and night to make sure there are safe and effective vaccines available for the flu and countless other diseases. They are doing it for the well being of the world and because it's interesting science, no matter what some might think.

ex: my sis was given a prescription for iron pills due to having low iron. The perscription cost roughly $45 for 60 pills. When she could have got iron pills over the counter for $18 for 180 pills. Both contained the same ingredients. The only difference was that one was made by GSK the other was not considered a medication and was a general dietary supplement not made by a big pharmaceutical company. If you're a Dr. and a company like GSK pays for a 2 week trip to the carribean for you, you will defiantely be prescribing their meds any other. It's the reality, I'm not saying I don't agree with the Dr's I'd do what they do. but this doesn't mean that the patient shouldn't educate themselves on the best options, which isn't always take med's
    Agreed that patients should educate themselves. Chances are that any pharmacy would have filled a general version of that iron pill prescription and that it would have cost far less than the example that you gave. Nutritional supplements aren't tested by the FDA like pharmaceuticals... it's a difficult position for a Dr to be in. Telling someone to take a supplement can open yourself up to a lot of legal problems if it turns out that supplement was made in China and was really full of lead rather than Iron. It sucks that the prices are higher for basically the same thing, but there are reasons for the price increase.... that testing and high quality control standards cost more than most would guess. Also, some Dr's will prescribe things that can be obtained OTC to patients who can't afford the OTC meds but have a prescription drug coverage plan.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Then why is it that most of the people who make the vaccine will not take it nor will their family? Why is it that there a many Dr's who also will not take the vaccine, yah the Dr's that go to school for a long time and know more then the average joe blow mountain biker.

On a side note all of my professors (5) this semester which are either physiologists or biochemists and yes all have their phD's and have gone to school for a long time are also abstaining from taking the vaccine. But I'm just an average moutain biker what do I know

Bellulabob is correct. Pharmaceutical companies have their hands in alot further then people think, epsecially when it comes to journals and studie. When a pharmaceutical company sponsors a study Info is either withheld from the study or is not mentioned unless is supports the drug that the pharmaceutical company is manufacturing

Dr's are too quick now adays to prescribe meds. I dont blame them it's alot easier to give someone a prescription for blood pressure med, then to try and comvince them everytime they come into their office to exercise and follow a healthy diet.

You are correct, everyone put on your tin foil hats and hide in your basements because it's a conspiracy!

All I said was to take advice from physicians, or people in the medical field... not from the average mountain biker. From many of the responses in this thread you'd think you were playing russian roulette when getting this vaccine, which is far from the truth.

I never said anything about pharmacuetical companies. I completely agree that pharmacuetical companies have their hands in far too many places. I'm lucky enough to not have any prescriptions, but I'm probably one of the few. This vaccine is quite different than most prescription drugs though, pharmacuetical companies make big money off the things people have to take on a daily basis and constantly refill. I won't get too much farther into this never ending topic but there is one thing I really hate about pharm companies... lobbying and $$$ going into keeping other alternatives illegal/etc. I'm all for them using the $$$ for the advancement of science and finding drugs that help people, but I'm 100% against them using that money to prohibit the research, development, and legitimacy of other good and at times better alternatives.

Loving Life
    agreed, although I have never mentioned one thing in my previous posts about a conspiracy. Although there are conspiracies regarding the vaccine I don't bother much with them because you cannot rely on the info.

Anyways this thread could go on forever, hope no one has to deal with a bad H1N1 situation, keep on riding

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Word.... ride on and stay healthy.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Guess I will put my 2 cents in this (another joe mountain biker comment)

There are many healthcare professionals declining the vac. I work in a hospital in Atlanta and just today while walking through the ER an employee nurse was going around giving vacs to employees, only 1 employee in the ER took the H1N1 vac. Everyone else, including me declined. The consensus that I am hearing from doctors, nurses, therapists, and many others is that it just appears to be too many unknowns and the vac was only been tested for a short duration before being pushed out to the public. I personally have a problem with the mercury content that is in the vac.

On another note I took the flu vac this year for the first time in 9yrs and have not had the flu since. This year, 2.5 weeks after taking it I got the flu, put me out for a week. Yes I blame it on the flu vac. I put my body under the stress of a 6hr endurance race and the next day what I thought was a respiratory infection ended up being the flu. From what the dr. told me that rigorous activity could have been a trigger for the flu.

One thing is said right on this thread....educate yourself. there is a lot of misinformation out there to persuade you to go one way or the other. I personally will not get the H1N1 vac, and I sure will not be getting the flu vac again. I will just take my chances. My odds have been better in the past without the vac.

That's my 2 cents
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    As a lifelong asthmatic I am at risk for complications from the flu or even a nasty cold. I fully intended to get the H1N1 vac but it quickly ran out in my area. I work as a service tech and come in contact with dozens of people (schools, offices etc..) every day and knew I was coming down with something different than a cold last Wed. By midnight I had a high fever, uncontrollable shivering, nasty body aches etc.. Called my doc in the morning (zero sleep over night) and he told me to stay home, and called in a scrip for Tamiflu. Next 2 days were bad, lungs got involved and I thought I might end up in IC with pnuemonia. Next 2 days things got better with lots of water, sleep, and no caffeine. A week later and I'm still in a fog and coughing but out of the woods (I think). Wouldn't wish this on anybody and I plan to get my seasonal shot soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    So, blame the vaccine but not the 6-hour race?

mtbr member
    So, blame the vaccine but not the 6-hour race?
    He mentioned the 6 hr race ... indicating that he recognizes it as a factor. All in all, he is still suspicious about the vac. I am too. They keep saying that vacs can not give you the flu, but the one and only time I ever got the flu was immediately after getting a mandatory vac.

mtbr member
    An employee of mine and his wife got the H1N1 vaccine Monday afternoon. They are both older and have all kinds of medical issues. His wife had to leave work early yesterday with a fever. She became worse overnight and they were both out sick today. He was out to take care of her. So she had some type of adverse reaction to the H1N1 vaccine. He stated they both get flu shots each year, and have never had an issue with them. Like I said, she has various medical conditions that probably contributed to this, but the vaccine definitely made her very sick.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gjenkins@
    He mentioned the 6 hr race ... indicating that he recognizes it as a factor. All in all, he is still suspicious about the vac. I am too. They keep saying that vacs can not give you the flu, but the one and only time I ever got the flu was immediately after getting a mandatory vac.
    Your right I do blame the vac as I have never had any kind of health related complications after an event outside of soreness. What I was saying was that from the stress the activity put on my body I was more sucseptable to getting sick because of the effect the vac had on my body.
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by speedraceratl
    Your right I do blame the vac as I have never had any kind of health related complications after an event outside of soreness. What I was saying was that from the stress the activity put on my body I was more sucseptable to getting sick because of the effect the vac had on my body.
    What was your initial reaction to the vaccine?

Do you know whether or not your flu was H1N1?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    My initial reaction was as follows: 3 hours after receiving the shot I started to get a scratchy throat, was really fatigued, headache, and slight fever. This lasted for about 18hrs until I took some advil because I could not stand the headache any longer. then i was fine. Everything seemed ok and I thought I was in the clear, but this was the first time I put my body under that much stress since the shot.

Mind you I work in a hospital and i do constant handwashing, I even have shoes that I only wear at the hospital, and my scrubs are changed out everyday. Not to say I can not pick something up in that environment, but I take every precaution not to bring anything home with me. We even did such a good job while I was sick that nobody else in my household got sick. As previously stated I have nbot had the flu since that last time I had the flu shot. Coincidence? I do not think so.

I was not tested for H1N1 so I can't say one way or the other whether I had it, but some of the symptoms of H1N1 I did not have, and I was treated for seasonal flu. Even at this point, a week and half later, I am still coughing up phlem. I just came back from a short ride and that helped clear my lungs out some.

mtbr member
    This kind of talk makes everyone scared of vaccines.

1. If you are young without preexisting conditions you are probably going to do fine, but there are people that do get h1n1 (I can tell you personally from those I have taken care of) who are in their 40s with no medical conditions that get intubated and put in the icu. The theory is that a similar flu strain came out in the 70s so people that are over 65 are not high priority targets for limited vaccines. It is actually young people (children) that are hit harder by this.

2. Testing for h1n1 is done in the hospital for isolation (droplet) purposes so we don't infect each other and patients. For the most part out patients do not need to be tested for h1n1.

3. You cannot get sick from the flu vaccine except for hypersensitivy/allergic type reactions. The hysteria surrounding thimerosal had to do with a concern for increased autism, thus no more of that preservative in children and not for pregnant women (the cdc recently put out a waiver stating pregnant women could get thimerosal). Ironically since they stopped the incidence of autism actually increased!

4. IF you work in health care you should get vaccinated. I got vaccinated with both vaccines as soon as they were available,

5. Riding single track at least 3 times a week prevents h1n1... When done along with vaccination.

Jason Wong MD

QUOTE=dirthead]An employee of mine and his wife got the H1N1 vaccine Monday afternoon. They are both older and have all kinds of medical issues. His wife had to leave work early yesterday with a fever. She became worse overnight and they were both out sick today. He was out to take care of her. So she had some type of adverse reaction to the H1N1 vaccine. He stated they both get flu shots each year, and have never had an issue with them. Like I said, she has various medical conditions that probably contributed to this, but the vaccine definitely made her very sick.[/QUOTE]
    "Chancho. When you are a man sometimes you wear stretchy pants... Its for fun..."

mtbr member
    +1

You can't get the flu from a vaccination and this is a well documented fact.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    May 2009
    lol i got it, wasn't that bad, it was like the regular flu but a tad worse... the media needs a good, old-fashioned beating IMO

on another note, my school just passed out application forms for free H1N1 vaccines

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Whason
    5. Riding single track at least 3 times a week prevents h1n1... When done along with vaccination.

Jason Wong MD

That's it. I'm calling in sick tomorrow. Doctor's orders.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Paranoia.

<---Healthcare worker AND vaccinated for seasonal and H1N1

If you have the option to get it then please do.

To those who have gotten the shot in the past and still acquired the flu, be aware that the shot is not 100% guaranteed against every strain of influenza. Without getting technical:

- You can't get the flu from the shot.

- You won't get autism from the shot. (Proven in so many studies it's rediculous)

- Yes, some healthcare workers reject the shot. They are human, and the seed of paranoia has been planted. Then there is the "rebel against the man" and "I'm not afraid of the big bad bug." I work in a hospital with some of these loons.

mtbr member
    I realize my knowledge is limited. But what bothers me about this H1N1 vaccine is that, even though there are very legit concerns for those who have ailing health, we are injecting ourselves w/ something we really actually don't need, and that many are convinced to do because of hysteria! The same is true for chickenpox vaccine for example: for some, it might be very appropriate but again this only for a minority. It seems that common sense would indicate that allowing your body and system to develop on it's an immunity for something that is not deadly (again for 99.9%) and getting over it once and for all, is much healthier, vs injecting something every year. The issue here is that most in the medical community are not known to admit that their knowledge is infact quite limited and that they do get things wrong, that what is okay or healthy today, might not be tomorrow. The medical community is very bad at acknowledging its limits. There are plenty of incidents of this where the medical community stated very dogmatically that something was safe and necessary and then a couple of years laters...ooops. I am not anti science at all....I love science, but at times it should not be an excuse to not have common sense for yourself: Why take something if you are in a group that does not need it, and expose yourself to something that might down the road be found to not be the best for you...

My bike/ race Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've taken the seasonal and H1N1 vaccines this year, and I'll feel much better about getting on a plane to fly back to the folks for Xmas this year.

banned
    Oct 2009
    +1

are you retarded?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sexytime
    are you retarded?
    You can't argue with crazy or stupid.... don't feed the troll and let this thread die. If people want to be morons... let them at this point. More vaccine for the rest of us.

mtbr member
    After getting the flu REALLY bad a couple years ago I became a vaccine user. I haven't got H1N1 vaccine yet. I don't think I will, but I make sure to keeps hands away from my face and wash whenever possible.

Ibexbiker
    Apr 2006
    I am just now getting over it and it was not fun. I haven't had the flu since 1988. I get the flu vaccine each year but was unable to get the N1H1 vaccine. I was in bed for over 2 days, out of work for almost a week and now I have a lingering cough. The migraines were unbearable.
    I work in an elementary school as a physical education teacher (I see every kid in the school). Because of this I am also exposed to every snotty, gross child in the school. If you work with kids/students I would definitely get it because you can be really healthy (exercise, eat great, wash your hands, hydrate, etc) and it won't mean **** if a kid walks up to you and sneezes in your face. To each there own though. I wish I had gotten the vaccine in time.

mtbr member
    The information in this thread should never be a substitute for 'true' medical advice. Call your doctor and get their advice and input.

My girl has it but I didn't catch it. Not so much as a sniffle.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Well no need to get vaccine now. I had it last week.

Didn't hit me that hard. I was fairly ill for four days and then got better fairly quickly. Unfortunately getting sick combined with limited training as of late has lead to a rather dramatic drop in fitness. Boy did I get my arse handed to me on saturdays ride.

New MTB XC Racer
    I know this is a bit old but still on the news and all.

Me I wouldn't get the shot. I don't see any proof that it REALLY REALLY works.
    They say the cost for Canadians for the Flu shot is $$$1.5-2 BILLION ! ! ! $$$
    http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...b=TopStoriesV2

They also say 5000 people die every day over the world due to bad water or lack of water. I wonder how many of the bad colds and flu that get spread each year come from places where the conditions of life are so poor. Wouldn't we better off spending our money at the source ? ?
    I think the Flu shot is just putting money in someone elses pockets, and it isn't the poor.
    Seems to me we are spending a lot of money to (maybe) save a couple 100 people. I'm sure thy could save more people if they spent the money more wisely in health care.

Maybe I'm an idiot, who knows, just something to think about ....

Cheers,
    Paul Bell

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rum Runner
    I know this is a bit old but still on the news and all.

I think the Flu shot is just putting money in someone elses pockets, and it isn't the poor.
    Seems to me we are spending a lot of money to (maybe) save a couple 100 people. I'm sure thy could save more people if they spent the money more wisely in health care.

Maybe I'm an idiot, who knows, just something to think about ....

Cheers,
    Paul Bell

Ya think?

Oh, you do know that over 35,000 people die in the US from the seasonal flu each year right? Even more are hospitalized (ie hundreds of thousands). Far more than your "couple hundred people." The majority of those cases can be prevented from the seasonal flu vaccine. This is coming from a population where a lot of people do (thankfully) get the flu vaccine each year. Things would be a LOT worse if they didn't.

You are right about one thing though... developed countries do need to spend more money on undeveloped regions of the word. Getting clean drinking water and sanitation in more places will help everyone. Also more money and resources need to be put into monitoring for disease outbreaks in such parts of the world.

Maybe if we (the US) wouldn't' have been in two wars for the better part of a decade now.... we'd have some spare change to use. But that's a whole other can of worms

New MTB XC Racer
    I didn't say that people were not dying from the Flu or that we shouldn't be researching Flu cures.
    I am asking if there is proof that the Flu shot really works? I heard that there were a couple of years where it was admitted that the strain of Flu they were vaccinating people with was not the one that hit that year and there was no significant spike in Flu cases those years. If the Flu shot really did work wouldn't you think there would be 100 000 people that would have died the years they got the vaccine wrong?

Just asking, and I may still be an idiot

Cheers,
    Paul

mtbr member
    I didn't say that people were not dying from the Flu or that we shouldn't be researching Flu cures.
    I am asking if there is proof that the Flu shot really works? I heard that there were a couple of years where it was admitted that the strain of Flu they were vaccinating people with was not the one that hit that year and there was no significant spike in Flu cases those years. If the Flu shot really did work wouldn't you think there would be 100 000 people that would have died the years they got the vaccine wrong?

Just asking, and I may still be an idiot

Cheers,
    Paul
    Strictly hearsay, as am not going to go on a google research rampage, but I have heard of several examples that imply that vaccination rates don't correlate with reduced cases.

Livin' the Dream
    I'm holding out for the H1N2 vaccine, with the updated carbon fiber/titanium preservatives.
    DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO MAN

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I wonder how many of the bad colds and flu that get spread each year come from places where the conditions of life are so poor. Wouldn't we better off spending our money at the source ? ?
    H1N1 originated in North America.

Intermediate wannabe
    Here is a bit of me-search since its an isolated case and would never qualify as re-search:

My wife and I, and our children, have insanely healthy diets. Everything in our home is organic/natural right down to the ketchup (maybe a few minor exceptions). We boost our immune systems with things like garlic and vitamin C, and when necessary a good dose of homeopathics. We eat a very minimal amount of wheat and/or dairy. We always strive towards locally grown produce. We do not immunize our children (where is that duck behind the wall smilie?). Our children had the chicken pox without complications or remarkable incident. We don't run for the tylenol (or other) when a fever presents (its only the body doing what it needs to do). We are highly conservative with antibiotics (for limes-yes, for a mild ear infection-no). Our pediatricians have supported us every step of the way.

Other than one exception over ten years ago, we never get the flu. I don't know why. Occasional bad colds perhaps, but not the flu. I work in a school and have been exposed to lots of people who have had H1N1. I'm still going strong. I don't know much, but I do have a PhD and I like to believe we intelligently consider our alternatives and make the best decisions for our family.
    "You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding." ~KRob

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lowendrick
    Here is a bit of me-search since its an isolated case and would never qualify as re-search:

My wife and I, and our children, have insanely healthy diets. Everything in our home is organic/natural right down to the ketchup (maybe a few minor exceptions). We boost our immune systems with things like garlic and vitamin C, and when necessary a good dose of homeopathics. We eat a very minimal amount of wheat and/or dairy. We always strive towards locally grown produce. We do not immunize our children (where is that duck behind the wall smilie?). Our children had the chicken pox without complications or remarkable incident. We don't run for the tylenol (or other) when a fever presents (its only the body doing what it needs to do). We are highly conservative with antibiotics (for limes-yes, for a mild ear infection-no). Our pediatricians have supported us every step of the way.

Other than one exception over ten years ago, we never get the flu. I don't know why. Occasional bad colds perhaps, but not the flu. I work in a school and have been exposed to lots of people who have had H1N1. I'm still going strong. I don't know much, but I do have a PhD and I like to believe we intelligently consider our alternatives and make the best decisions for our family.
    Excellent! Unfortunately, you are at risk of being considered a risk to "society". If and when you are, then society will force you to vaccinate.

Intermediate wannabe
    Quote Originally Posted by gjenkins@
    Excellent! Unfortunately, you are at risk of being considered a risk to "society". If and when you are, then society will force you to vaccinate.
    Well, we'll cross that bridge when we get there. Fortunately we live in a supportive community with a fair number of like-minded people (including many physicians). Assuming you are not being sarcastic, and you do think it really is "excellent".....thanks!
    "You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding." ~KRob

New MTB XC Racer
    Some interesting reading. Of course who do you believe anymore.
    from this article.
    http://tinyurl.com/yzrea8q

People Who Get a Seasonal Flu Shot Are Twice as Likely to Catch Swine Flu
    Posted by: Dr. Mercola
    October 15 2009 | 71,232 views

As-yet-unpublished Canadian data raises concerns about whether it's a good idea to get a seasonal flu shot.

A series of studies suggests that people who got a seasonal flu shot last year are about twice as likely to catch swine flu as people who didn't.

Journals bar would-be authors from discussing their results publicly before they go through peer review, but the findings have been a poorly kept secret and many in the public health community in Canada have heard about them.

In the meantime, five biopharmaceutical companies have been awarded massive contracts by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) for development and production of more than 195 million doses of swine flu vaccine, and health officials are urging everyone to get vaccinated against both the seasonal- and the swine flu this season.

The companies -- Novartis, GlaxoSmithKline, MedImmune, Australian drug maker CSL, and Sanofi-Pasteur -- will likely make a great deal of money.

The fact is, the swine flu vaccines stand poised to be absolute Blockbusters if this hyped up vaccine drive is successful.

But it doesn’t end there.

In addition to the swine flu vaccine, health officials are also urging everyone to get vaccinated against the seasonal flu as well, which would entail getting 3-4 shots in total – each dose containing as much as 25 mcg of mercury.With all the neurological problems we already face – autism, and increasing numbers of dementia– why would health officials recommend injecting you with 100 mcg of a proven neurotoxin?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Do we really have to go through this again? You can get seasonal and H1N1 shots that don't have any mercury if you are really worried. You only need one seasonal flu shot and one H1N1... not 3-4 shots. Next year, the vaccine will include the new H1N1 strain in it... so you will only need one.

There is no evidence that mercury as a preservative has ANY effect on the rate of autism. To claim there is, is just lying and making up what you want to hear. Prime example being that no vaccine used in children has mercury in it. When that switch was made, the rate of autism was not effected, despite vaccination numbers going up.

Not vaccinating against chicken pox is one thing.... but come on, your children aren't going to be too happy if they get the measles. Might sound funny and odd... but with an increasing number of non vaccinated people (children who's parents don't get them taken care of, undocumented workers and their children, etc.) there have been a shocking number of measles outbreaks in recent years.

I personally don't think that anyone's children should be allowed in public school systems that aren't vaccinated against a minimal set of diseases. This is more for the protection of EVERYONE else, through collective immunity, rather than one individual child. It becomes a simple public health concern.

Vaccines save lives... plain and simple. We are lucky that we don't live in a time or place where we have to worry about things like polio and small pox.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Vaccines save lives... plain and simple. We are lucky that we don't live in a time or place where we have to worry about things like polio and small pox.
    Best point in this thread so far.

Intermediate wannabe
    Quote Originally Posted by HSCoach2
    Yes, a good point.... presented in a vacum.

Our country's irresponsible methods for creating and distributing immunizations is outrageous. e.g Why in the world would we give newborn infants an MMR shot? It is three live attenuated viruses, administered via injection for immunization against measles, mumps and rubella. Most pediatricians will tell you it is normal for a baby to react to this tri-shot with fever. They were once available as separate shots, but it was not cost effective for the pharm companies so they only sell it as an MMR now. I don't want that in my newborn child!! Who knows what subtle neuro effects that might cause or worse. Have you seen the senate hearings about these vaccinations? Yeah, boring as all hell and long, but there were startling moments that revealed much about the faulty practices of research and conflict of interest.

I don't think you can blindly accept what is happening with vaccinations.

New MTB XC Racer
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by briscoelab

OK , I do agree. I just think there was a big panic for he H1N1 and we are all paying a premium for this vaccine due to all the hype.

I think we are lucky to be able to hack it out on a forum and get others opinions. I don't mind getting my ideas or thoughts hacked down once and a while. Just putting out some different angles on this.
    We sometimes need to question what is going on and how money is being spent. We all know the health care systems everywhere are lacking.

Cheers,
    Paul

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lowendrick

I don't think you can blindly accept what is happening with vaccinations.
    I'm not. I have a PhD in Microbiology and my wife is an MD.

Oh and children aren't "rejecting" any vaccine because of a low grade fever.... it's just an immune response and side effect.

Pharmacy companies would love to sell the MMR vaccine as three separate ones... they would actually make more money that way. It's been proven for decades now that the tri dose mmr shot is the most effect method. It also saves the small amount of pain that separate shots would entail.

What exactly do you think that is in an MMR shot is causing neurologic problems? There is science that even remotely suggests that.

A real pathetic side effect to people thinking that vaccines are going to "make their baby retarded" is that the focus moves away from public health and the work going on the find the actual basis for diseases like autism.

I really wish this tread would just die. I even thought that it had a couple times. Some people just don't want to listen to the facts and will never be convinced (nor should they be from anyone talking on an internet forum!).

Again, don't get vaccinated for the flu if you don't want to..... more doses for people who want it.

I also agree that the H1N1 thing got hyped up a bit. That wasn't be the government though.... at least here in the US, they were far from what I would consider alarmist. Several media outlets however really fanned the fire though. Mostly running stories about how everyone was going to die because there was no vaccine available.

Of course, now that there are plenty of doses to go around in the US those same sources are all pushing stories about the vaccine maybe isn't safe or was rushed.

Damed if you do... damed if you don't.

Bottom line is.... spend the time to do some research, read primary literature, and make up your own mind.

Cheers!

Loving Life
    I wasn't going to bother to comment more on this thread since it is the same arguments being made but after looking at the last few comments I think something needs to be said.

No matter what side if the fence you are on don't force your opinion on others. That being said do not just look at one side of the picture. Criticizing people for making educated choices (like lowendrick) just because of what you reading from the goverment websites and hearing from the government on TV and thinking it is the only tright thing to do isn't right. Neither is going to the university of youtube and reading/watching media that has nothing but conspiracy written all over it and crying foul to anything to do with the vaccine. So far most of what has been posted on this thread is more of first then the later. Most of the people who are refusing the vaccine are not bothering with the bs from youtube and other conspriacists, they are people who have done their research and not just burried their heads in government and pharmaceutically influenced papers or studies. The people (not all but quite a bit) on this thread that are in favor of the vaccine seem to only take what the government says as completely correct, and any other papers no matter if its written by someone in that field with a PhD is a conspriacist or full of crap if it is not in favor of the vaccine.

Vaccine's are needed for people who need themand are at risk, and yes can help keep them alive. In a healthy persons case (average person isn't "healthy") they only need their bodies immune system. If that is someones choice then don't complain about them increasing your risk of getting sick, their not blowing their nose in your face. You can go take the vaccine and do other things to icrease your immune system and you'll be fine.

Livin' the Dream
    Okay, tried to end the thread with some humour, but to no avail. Bottom line: people don't think vaccines are necessary because they no longer see the ravages of these horrible diseases (but that's b/c the majority of us have been vaccinated against them). Society forgets way too fast; war, diseases, etc.
    DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO MAN

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm not. I have a PhD in Microbiology and my wife is an MD.

Oh and children aren't "rejecting" any vaccine because of a low grade fever.... it's just an immune response and side effect.

Pharmacy companies would love to sell the MMR vaccine as three separate ones... they would actually make more money that way. It's been proven for decades now that the tri dose mmr shot is the most effect method. It also saves the small amount of pain that separate shots would entail.

What exactly do you think that is in an MMR shot is causing neurologic problems? There is science that even remotely suggests that.

A real pathetic side effect to people thinking that vaccines are going to "make their baby retarded" is that the focus moves away from public health and the work going on the find the actual basis for diseases like autism.

I really wish this tread would just die. I even thought that it had a couple times. Some people just don't want to listen to the facts and will never be convinced (nor should they be from anyone talking on an internet forum!).

Again, don't get vaccinated for the flu if you don't want to..... more doses for people who want it.

I also agree that the H1N1 thing got hyped up a bit. That wasn't be the government though.... at least here in the US, they were far from what I would consider alarmist. Several media outlets however really fanned the fire though. Mostly running stories about how everyone was going to die because there was no vaccine available.

Of course, now that there are plenty of doses to go around in the US those same sources are all pushing stories about the vaccine maybe isn't safe or was rushed.

Damed if you do... damed if you don't.

Bottom line is.... spend the time to do some research, read primary literature, and make up your own mind.

Cheers!

second this post..............all medical intervention is a risk/benefit calculation......the odds are stacked heavily in the favor of getting a vaccine if available.........

do you wear a seatbelt ??

do you drink from plastic containers ??

do you eat left overs ??

do you have side curtain airbags ?

you ever had sex without a rubber ??

you ever play the lottery ??

watch the documentary food inc. and then let me know who cares more about your health ??

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I want to "force" my opinion on everyone in this thread. I'm not going to tell you that everyone shouldn't "force" their opinion and then proceed to "force" it on you. I'm just going to tell you straight up that I WANT to force my opinion/facts on you. It is my opinion and non-professional advice that you whackos who don't want the vaccine shouldn't get it. Just as long as you know that all your conspiracy nonsense and all the peer reviewed studies suggests that you are all whackos. If you don't want it, fine. But don't spread your lies and false conclusions on things you really don't know anything about.

Whackos. And don't get your panties in a bunch because I called you whackos. I think whackos are too "politically correct" and this is the interweb and I can say whatever I want. :P

Now if I could just rid myself of this stinking Rhinovirus I would be super happy. Where's my vaccine for that?!?!?

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    It is funny how you post something like this and your get, to quote 88 rex "wkackos" who have never post in this form filling it with dribble.

I should have known better and not posted the question in the first place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0