Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: H1n1

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

H1n1

is going through my work like crazy. Kids are dropping like flies (they are getting sick not dieing). Three of my athlete were hit pretty hard by it last week. So far I have been successful in avoiding it, but I doubt my long term success.

Immunizations for me are at least two weeks away. Assuming that I haven't had it by that time, I think will get the shot.

What would you do?

mtbr member
    Seems only a problem for those with underlying conditions, like most flu. Folks I know who've had it have had worse ones, in terms of effect. Better to prepare oneself, in terms of reduced stress, rest, good food etc. Leave the vax for the old & the young, and develop your own antibodies "au naturel"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I had H1N1 a couple of weeks ago. It's not even that bad, maybe 2-3 days that I couldn't ride. I wouldn't get the shot.

ups and downs
    Considering they announced that they are being short shipped on vaccines in BC, and it could be end of December before their will be enough for the general public without underlying health problems, you'll likely acquire immunity the hard way. It's been through the population in 1957 and 1976, so you may have been exposed before, which would reduce the severity if it smacks you now.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    I had it about 4 weeks ago. Typical flu symptoms with the addition of intestinal problems. Sore achy feeling, fatigue, fever, chills, cough....... Got over the major symptoms in about 4 days, but the fatigued feeling lasted about a week. I'm still coughing from time to time. Had a race yesterday and coughed for about 5 minutes non stop after I finished. If you have availability to an H1N1 shot, I'd get it. It's not really worse than the regular flu, but if it's that rampant in your area, odds are you will get it too.
    "Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation".

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    If your fitness could benefit with an extended period/block of couch intervals.. than by all means, skip the Vac.

If you want to stay active, and not risk bronchitis, ear infection, antibiotics, relapse, and/or a lingering cough for a month.. than don't get the Flu.

Our area, Eastern WA, has been hit pretty hard. Many people are developing bad coughs/bronchitis and ear infections... and relapses, or bi-phase symptoms. Normal Flu stuff, but lots of people on antibitics and long lingering syptoms.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

nope

I'd skip it. I'm not a vaccination type guy tho...I got the H1N1 two weeks ago. I was really sick for two days, and then a little affected for 2 days after that. I was also coming off of a 24 Solo, so my immune system was toast. My wife, 1 year old. 5 year old, and folks all got it from me. Each of them was mildy sick for 2 days, and never got too bad.

I'd rather be sick for a couple days than get injected with mercury and who knows what else... The two times I did get the flu shot, I got the flu a few days later...I know other people who swear by it, but I'm not a fan.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Those of you who have had H1N1....were you actually tested? Based on the news, they are saying most doctors aren't even testing any more...takes too long for results and costs money for the hospital.

Did you actually get tested and it came up positive for H1N1??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk
    Those of you who have had H1N1....were you actually tested? Based on the news, they are saying most doctors aren't even testing any more...takes too long for results and costs money for the hospital.

My daughter was tested and came up positive for H1N1. I got the same symptoms about a week later, and my doc said he was 99.9% sure it was H1N1, but didn't test me.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

test

They tested my kids, who got sick two days after me, and they came up positive. I didn't go into the doctor as the chest cold never got bad enough.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

I got tested for H1N1 and it came back positive.
    If you go to the doctor and they want to test you for it make sure they do the blood test, the nose test is terrible, and takes forever to get the results. Also make sure if they test you they do the Flu test AND the H1N1 test. Because my flu test came back negative but the H1N1 test was positive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Get yourself sick.

Seriously.

Family (including self) had the malaise and upper respiratory symptoms a couple of weeks ago.

Nothing so bad that we had to go to see anybody, but after we got better and the youngest had a well-checkup that had been scheduled months in advance, the pediatrician said it was almost certainly H1N1 since that's what's going around, so it should be assumed that we got immunity to it.

We would have no sooner put ourselves thru any of the strain testing than we would get vaccinated, which we wouldn't/don't do anyway, H1N1 or not.

While I would have rather none of us had gotten ill, it wasn't any worse than dealing with a moderate/bad cold, but we were are not unhealthy people to begin with, so I think the odds are in your favor.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Henchman
    develop your own antibodies "au naturel"
    +1

And then there are those who actually get the flu from the vaccination...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Healthy young people are dying from this. The ICU at work is full of H1N1 pateints, most on life support.
    Get the shot if you can.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim FtCO
    +1

And then there are those who actually get the flu from the vaccination...

and the chances of that happen are????

To me it is a simple question.

What is more likely I get the flu from the vaccination or get the flu from some snotty nosed kid?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If you don't have a pre-existing respiratory condition and live a healthy lifesyle you have little to worry about. The human body is designed and able to deal with infection if you are healthy. Eat right, drink water, wash your hands, and stay home if your sick, seems simple enough.

ups and downs
    Vaccines are all dead virus cultures, so you might get a seasonal flu after getting the H1N1 shot, but you wouldn't get the H1N1 flu unless you were already exposed to the H1N1 just prior to getting the vaccine. It takes about 10-14 days to build immunity from the vaccine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

This is not directed at you but in general.
    THEY ARE NOT TESTING FOR IT BECAUSE THERE IS NO REASON TO
    +]Its a mild case of the flu, they could totally botch the seasonal vaccine AGAIN and you could get a much worse strain of the regular flu.

+There is no medicine/treatment for it, everything that is done it do ward off symptoms(fever, dehydration, nvm). Tamiflu can/kinda/sorta work on the regular flu if its diagnosed and given within the first 2-3 days

+Its hitting kids hard because of the gross number of incompetent parents that cannot take care of their children properly. I.E. ignoring fevers and their treatment, letting them drink soda instead of water, failing to foresee complications with pre existing medical conditions

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by used2Bhard
    They tested my kids, who got sick two days after me, and they came up positive. I didn't go into the doctor as the chest cold never got bad enough.
    productive cough=cold
    non productive cough=flu

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    Vaccines are all dead virus cultures, so you might get a seasonal flu after getting the H1N1 shot, but you wouldn't get the H1N1 flu unless you were already exposed to the H1N1 just prior to getting the vaccine. It takes about 10-14 days to build immunity from the vaccine.
    The nasal spray is live virus

ups and downs
    They're only doing the jab in BC.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rroadie
    Healthy young people are dying from this. The ICU at work is full of H1N1 pateints, most on life support.
    Get the shot if you can.
    And the ICU is never filled with the 250,000 and 500,000 people that die of REGULAR flu.

Please unsubscribe for the alarmist attitude driving this farce

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosker
    If you don't have a pre-existing respiratory condition and live a healthy lifesyle you have little to worry about. The human body is designed and able to deal with infection if you are healthy. Eat right, drink water, wash your hands, and stay home if your sick, seems simple enough.

I am not worried about dieing from it. The chances of that happen are very remote, probably better chance of getting killed on a bike ride. But in getting immunized can mean not having to spend a couple of days on the couch then I am all over that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by used2Bhard
    My wife, 1 year old. 5 year old, and folks all got it from me.
    I bet your family, friends, neighbors, and co-workers are totally stoked that you're "not a vaccination type guy". Good for you.

mtbr member
    Geoff Kabush had it...
    Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly
    Giant Anthem
    Trek Fuel Ex 8
    Lemond Buenos Aires
    Cervelo R3
    www.fasterthansome.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Get the vaccination if you have access to it. This flu seems to be hitting healthy people much harder then the normal flu seasons.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Here in Ontario, we had a healthy 13 year old hockey player die last week, which prompted many of those sitting on the fence to go for the vaccine. Unfortunately, they only had about 15 clinics open in a region with 9 million people , so it was a bit of a mess. My family got them, as two of our kids are in daycare, and one qualifies as high-risk (6 months to 5 years).

One point of interest: For the first time that I can recall from a vaccine or blood donation, I had a significant side-effect. The pain at the injection site was so bad (brush teeth with other arm bad) 3 days later that it kept me up most of the night. I eventually treated it exactly like the sports injury it felt like (ice and ibuprofen) and its bearable now, although I still can't lift with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by warnette
    And the ICU is never filled with the 250,000 and 500,000 people that die of REGULAR flu.

Please unsubscribe for the alarmist attitude driving this farce
    Do you work in the health care industry?
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by COLINx86
    I had H1N1 a couple of weeks ago. It's not even that bad, maybe 2-3 days that I couldn't ride. I wouldn't get the shot.
    if it wasn't that bad - how do you know you had H1N1? did you go to the hospital and get tested? or self diagnosis? ... or maybe you just had a normal cold.

i know three people who have had h1n1 - ALL very, very sick... Not something anyone would want.

Loving Life
    I wont be getting it, mercury and aluminum (preservatives) are not something I want in my blood stream. My immune system has been awsome in the past and I eat a healthy diet with tons of water. If I get it I'll deal with the symptoms for a couple of days like any other flu.

Over 90% of the people who have died from it have had an underlying chronic illness. Out of the 10% suposedly "healthy" how many had underlying illnesses that were not yet found. And obesity and an unhealthy sedentry lifestyle as well as a terrible diet do not count as underlying chronic illness'. So be careful when you hear that H1N1 targets "healthy" people. A virus cannot target a specific population of healthy people. If you look at the rate of death from H1N1 vs. the normal flu, there not a big deviation.

Side note: most of the makers of the vaccine won't take it for themselves or their families...raises a big question

People need to think for themselves and not what other people tell them to think

don't shoot me down
    all IMO

mtbr member
    May 2006
    They released the people that died of it in Alberta 14 total so far, one man, the rest women, young and old, two women were indians.

That should kinda indicate who should get the shots....don't you think.
    Last edited by jeffscott; 11-02-2009 at 08:43 AM.

mtbr member
    If you put aside all of the doom and gloom press coverage the media is bombarding us with and try to dig up the facts, it just doesn't make sense? H1N1 has been state time and time again that it is a flu strain that is less in severity to the seasonal flu. 99% of infected people will have standard symptoms. Most of the research available is spotty at best once you look who funded the research (the drug company), the studies rarely use valid methods and remove people from the trial if a problem arises.
    When you look at the potential list of toxic additives in the vaccination you should be concerned: Thimerisol (mercury), aluminum, formaldehyde, squalene, glyceral and animal tissue.
    If nothing else we should look for the facts ourselves and not base a potentially serious outcome either way you go by the biased media. I know my decision without a shadow of don't and you all should really look to find those decisions on your own.

Loving Life
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    The released the people that died of it in Alberta 14 total so far, one man, the rest women, young and old, two women were indians.

That should kinda indicate who should get the shots....don't you think.
    look into the amount of people that die form the seasonal vaccine

all I'm saying is people only take medication (prescription drugs, vaccines, etc) if the benefits out weigh the side effects or cons. I personally do not take tylenol or advil because of a head ache I may get once a couple times a year. it not worth putting the strain on my lvier, I'd rather put up with a little pain in my head. That being said I took anti biotics after geting my wisdom teeth out because if an infection arises in my teeth it can quickly spread to my head and cause serious problems. The benefits out weighed the cons. In terms of the H1N1 vaccine there is no way that putting all those preservatives in my body not to mention that side affects that can happen neurologically, out weighs having a couple days of the flu and a minimal almost non existent risk of dying. Now my choice may be difference if I drank, smoked, did drugs, ate like ****, sat on my ass all day, and drank pop/coffee in place of water

I know my body better then anyone else and with the lifestyle I live I just dont see a benefit to the vaccine

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr
    Do you work in the health care industry?
    yes, i have been around countless confirmed cases since the "outbreak" and have yet to have any symptoms.
    Exercise+sleep+good health practices= a virtual cure

mtbr member
    I've had the seasonal flu once before, but it was many years ago. When I got H1N1 the first thing that hit me was a dry cough and fatigued feeling. After a couple of days, the cough became very severe, and I would go from feeling chilled to feeling like the inside of my chest was on fire. The fatigue got worse and worse. I would feel "ok" when I got up in the morning, but by lunch I was so tired I couldn't function. Then the intestinal problems hit. Fine one minutes, severe stomach pains the next, then in the bathroom for a little alone time. All that passed, except the cough, between days 4 and 7. I'm still coughing 4 weeks later.

I've never gotten a flu shot, but I'm starting next year! I can't say H1N1 is really worse, in my experience than the regular flu. It's gotten a lot of press, and is rampant in the Phoenix area right now.

LA CHÈVRE
    I got it 1.5 weeks ago. It's like a flu but turned up to 11. In addition to normal flu symptoms, I had bad muscle aches, neck and back were the worst, non-stop headaches, and the first day I was getting dizzy when up or even sit... I stayed home for 3 days, pretty much slept 2 straight days almost non-stop, drank a lot, took some echinacea... The third day I could do normal things fine and the fourth day I was almost back to normal.

As for cycling, it made me miss my last race of the season (an a-race too, Quebec CX Champs) and now I'm in the off-season so I didn't ride my bike much the week after it. I did my first ride with some kind of intensity yesterday and I felt surprisingly good.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    I got it 1.5 weeks ago. It's like a flu but turned up to 11. In addition to normal flu symptoms, I had bad muscle aches, neck and back were the worst, non-stop headaches, and the first day I was getting dizzy when up or even sit... I stayed home for 3 days, pretty much slept 2 straight days almost non-stop, drank a lot, took some echinacea... The third day I could do normal things fine and the fourth day I was almost back to normal.
    According to Trev, it's because of all that drinking, smoking, doing drugs, eating like sh!t, sitting on your ass all day, and pop/coffee that you're drinking. Shame on you!

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by flargle
    According to Trev, it's because of all that drinking, smoking, doing drugs, eating like sh!t, sitting on your ass all day, and pop/coffee that you're drinking. Shame on you!
    I'll never be a pro cyclist, might as well try to go for rock star!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Loving Life
    Quote Originally Posted by flargle

re-read. Theres not much you can do to not get H1N1 but there is a lot you can do to not die from it when you get it such as being healthy^

what I was talking about earlier is how the media is saying that "healthy" people are dying from H1N1 and Healthy is a very subjective word

Since Dan just posted and he is clearly still alive what I said would obviously not apply to him, nor does it apply to every single case

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev
    Theres not much you can do to not get H1N1
    Actually, there's plenty one can do, including vaccination if available.

Apropos of nothing in particular:
    "60 Minutes" H1N1 Teen Goes Off Ventilator

mtbr member
    May 2006
    look into the amount of people that die form the seasonal vaccine

all I'm saying is people only take medication (prescription drugs, vaccines, etc) if the benefits out weigh the side effects or cons. I personally do not take tylenol or advil because of a head ache I may get once a couple times a year. it not worth putting the strain on my lvier, I'd rather put up with a little pain in my head. That being said I took anti biotics after geting my wisdom teeth out because if an infection arises in my teeth it can quickly spread to my head and cause serious problems. The benefits out weighed the cons. In terms of the H1N1 vaccine there is no way that putting all those preservatives in my body not to mention that side affects that can happen neurologically, out weighs having a couple days of the flu and a minimal almost non existent risk of dying. Now my choice may be difference if I drank, smoked, did drugs, ate like ****, sat on my ass all day, and drank pop/coffee in place of water

I know my body better then anyone else and with the lifestyle I live I just dont see a benefit to the vaccine
    So don't then

They make a special vaccine for pregnant women and other high risk people as well....just sos you know.

Loving Life
    I'm talking about once it enters your body. Obviously theres alot you can do such as not being beside someone who has it. Regardless how healthy you are if you get it then you have it.
    If you decide to get the vaccine then good for you, its your choice-its not for everyone

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kevbikemad
    if it wasn't that bad - how do you know you had H1N1? did you go to the hospital and get tested? or self diagnosis? ... or maybe you just had a normal cold.

i know three people who have had h1n1 - ALL very, very sick... Not something anyone would want.
    My 2nd post..

Quote Originally Posted by COLINx86
    I got tested for H1N1 and it came back positive.
    If you go to the doctor and they want to test you for it make sure they do the blood test, the nose test is terrible, and takes forever to get the results. Also make sure if they test you they do the Flu test AND the H1N1 test. Because my flu test came back negative but the H1N1 test was positive.

mtbr member
    The problem w/ vaccine vs not getting it, is that there is so little real data avail to help make any real or accurate decisions. For those of us who are sitting on the fence, it makes it quite difficult. I don't think any one can say that the media hasn't completely over hyped this, and I wonder how many people die from the regular flue every year, vs the H1N1 strain? Are the numbers that different? It seems indeed that there are very few cases of serious complications for healthy children/ adults from H1N1, but no exact or at least best estimate data. What is worse though is that there is NO, and I mean zero data on any complications from vaccines. And I think it would be quite silly to claim that that is because there are none. So how to you make up your mind??? the other potential problem w/ the vaccine is that if you get it, you'll have to get it every year coming, whereas if you just get ill, recover, then you are done. I know for me, I"ll pass on the vaccine, but for my kids, who are healthy w/ healthy diets, that is a much harder decisions...
    Last edited by bellullabob; 11-03-2009 at 09:46 AM.
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

Loving Life
    Quote Originally Posted by bellullabob
    The problem w/ vaccine vs not getting it, is that there is so little real data avail to help make any real or accurate decisions. For those of us who are sitting on the fence, it makes it quite difficult. I don't think any one can say that the media has completely over hyped this, and I wonder how many people die from the regular flue every year, vs the H1N1 strain? Are the numbers that different? It seems indeed that there are very few cases of serious complications for healthy children/ adults from H1N1, but no exact or at least best estimate data. What is worse though is that there is NO, and I mean zero data on any complications from vaccines. And I think it would be quite silly to claim that that is because there are none. So how to you make up your mind??? the other potential problem w/ the vaccine is that if you get it, you'll have to get it every year coming, whereas if you just get ill, recover, then you are done. I know for me, I"ll pass on the vaccine, but for my kids, who are healthy w/ healthy diets, that is a much harder decisions...
    H1N1 0.2 die for every 1000 *So far
    Seasonal Flu 3 die for every 1000

the problem I have is that when ever a child dies from it they are considered healthy. Because a child plays sports and is not obese does not mean they are healthy. I know when i was 15 and playing hockey I looked healthy but I ate like a pig. Most kids are extremely defficient in Vitamin D and C two key vitamins in your body's immune response.

But like I said before, everyone entitled to doing what they think is best, theres not really a right or wrong way to go about it

mtbr member
    H1N1 0.2 die for every 1000 *So far
    Seasonal Flu 3 die for every 1000
    Trev,

where did you get that data? thnx
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Christ, the misinformation in this thread is staggering.

1. They aren't testing in most cases because it ultimately doesn't matter. If you catch it early, you can get some anti virals... but most people don't go to the Dr soon enough for those to be effective.

2. Most likely H1N1 vaccine will be in your regular flu shot next season. People need to understand it's just a different strain of the flu. A regular flu shot already has vaccine to many strains in it.

2. You can't get "the flu" from getting a vaccination. Some people will get a fever after a vaccination, but that is just an inflammatory response to the vaccine, not the flu.

3. The nasal vaccine is a not live H1N1 flu... it is a recombinant, attenuated live vaccine. There is a difference..... do 5 minutes of research and you can learn a lot.

4. All this talk about preservatives is a bunch of crap. Do you even know what is in a particular vaccine (you should... no excuse to be ill-informed)? Again, do 5 minutes of research and you can find out. Even when mercury is used in vaccines, the amount is less than what you'd get from eatting a can a tuna...

Also, you can get vaccine that doesn't use Thimerosal as a preservative if you are really paranoid. All multi use vials of the vaccine have to have some type of perservative in them to prevent growth of bacteria. The single use vials (this includes ALL nasal vaccine) do not have Thimerosal. Since 2001, no new vaccine licensed by FDA for use in children has contained thimerosal as a preservative.

5. If you have access to the vaccine, I would suggest getting it (providing enough is around for high risk populations in your area). This just isn't to protect you... but to protect others through shared immunity. I would say this is especially important for those dealing with children/young adults and the elderly. If you don't have the flu, it's one more person that can't give it to them.

6. Most importantly, educate yourselves and talk to you doctor about questions and concerns that you have.... don't believe every 10 second sound bite you hear on Fox Noise or garbage you read on the internet.
    Last edited by briscoelab; 11-03-2009 at 09:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Specifics: To bellullabob, you couldn't' be more wrong in your statements. There is plenty of data on complications to regular flu vaccines over MANY years and the H1N1 vaccine from this year. Trials have been going on all year at sites around the world. H1N1 vaccine is just like any normal flu vaccine in how it's developed, tested, etc. Your ignorance to the data isn't an excuse here.

Also, your statement that if you get sick naturally from the flu meaning that you don't need a yearly shot is false as well. That is the very reason that there is a NEW flu vaccine each year.... the influenza virus can (and does) rapidly change. So, if you get the flu one year, you will have basically no immunity to the typical strain of flu the following year.

So, effectively every year there is a completely new flu vaccine made, tested, and then administered to everyone in the fall. This is no different than the developemtn of the H1N1 vaccine this year, other than a late start on development (despite fast tracking) and a very early start to the fllu season have made supply short for now.

Loving Life
    Quote Originally Posted by bellullabob
    Trev,

where did you get that data? thnx
    Taken form Dr.Matta during an interview in Toronto

There is also a Dr (cannot remember his name) that was interviewed in the National post wand his numbers were identical, Although I'm not big on getting info form the media, interviews aren't too bad, and it definately beats the internet

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Taken form Dr.Matta during an interview in Toronto

There is also a Dr (cannot remember his name) that was interviewed in the National post wand his numbers were identical, Although I'm not big on getting info form the media, interviews aren't too bad, and it definately beats the internet
    Here's some numbers from the CDC on yearly influenza hospitalizations/deaths: About 36,000 people in the US die each year from the seasonal flu. Over 200,000 people are hospitalized from it each year as well. Remember that this is from a population where a decent number of people get the flu shots and have at least some residual immunity from past infections and vaccinations.

H1N1 (an influenza type A virus strain) hasn't been seen in the population for a long time and hasn't been included in recent years vaccines. This is one of the reason it is a concern.... coupled with the fact that it is causing a lot of illness in population/age groups (like pregnant women... health young adults) that typically aren't as hard hit by typical season flu.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast