Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: H1n1

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

H1n1

is going through my work like crazy. Kids are dropping like flies (they are getting sick not dieing). Three of my athlete were hit pretty hard by it last week. So far I have been successful in avoiding it, but I doubt my long term success.

Immunizations for me are at least two weeks away. Assuming that I haven't had it by that time, I think will get the shot.

What would you do?

mtbr member
    Seems only a problem for those with underlying conditions, like most flu. Folks I know who've had it have had worse ones, in terms of effect. Better to prepare oneself, in terms of reduced stress, rest, good food etc. Leave the vax for the old & the young, and develop your own antibodies "au naturel"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I had H1N1 a couple of weeks ago. It's not even that bad, maybe 2-3 days that I couldn't ride. I wouldn't get the shot.

ups and downs
    Considering they announced that they are being short shipped on vaccines in BC, and it could be end of December before their will be enough for the general public without underlying health problems, you'll likely acquire immunity the hard way. It's been through the population in 1957 and 1976, so you may have been exposed before, which would reduce the severity if it smacks you now.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    I had it about 4 weeks ago. Typical flu symptoms with the addition of intestinal problems. Sore achy feeling, fatigue, fever, chills, cough....... Got over the major symptoms in about 4 days, but the fatigued feeling lasted about a week. I'm still coughing from time to time. Had a race yesterday and coughed for about 5 minutes non stop after I finished. If you have availability to an H1N1 shot, I'd get it. It's not really worse than the regular flu, but if it's that rampant in your area, odds are you will get it too.
    "Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation".

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    If your fitness could benefit with an extended period/block of couch intervals.. than by all means, skip the Vac.

If you want to stay active, and not risk bronchitis, ear infection, antibiotics, relapse, and/or a lingering cough for a month.. than don't get the Flu.

Our area, Eastern WA, has been hit pretty hard. Many people are developing bad coughs/bronchitis and ear infections... and relapses, or bi-phase symptoms. Normal Flu stuff, but lots of people on antibitics and long lingering syptoms.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

nope

I'd skip it. I'm not a vaccination type guy tho...I got the H1N1 two weeks ago. I was really sick for two days, and then a little affected for 2 days after that. I was also coming off of a 24 Solo, so my immune system was toast. My wife, 1 year old. 5 year old, and folks all got it from me. Each of them was mildy sick for 2 days, and never got too bad.

I'd rather be sick for a couple days than get injected with mercury and who knows what else... The two times I did get the flu shot, I got the flu a few days later...I know other people who swear by it, but I'm not a fan.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Those of you who have had H1N1....were you actually tested? Based on the news, they are saying most doctors aren't even testing any more...takes too long for results and costs money for the hospital.

Did you actually get tested and it came up positive for H1N1??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk
    Those of you who have had H1N1....were you actually tested? Based on the news, they are saying most doctors aren't even testing any more...takes too long for results and costs money for the hospital.

My daughter was tested and came up positive for H1N1. I got the same symptoms about a week later, and my doc said he was 99.9% sure it was H1N1, but didn't test me.
    "Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation".

mutaullyassuredsuffering

test

They tested my kids, who got sick two days after me, and they came up positive. I didn't go into the doctor as the chest cold never got bad enough.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

I got tested for H1N1 and it came back positive.
    If you go to the doctor and they want to test you for it make sure they do the blood test, the nose test is terrible, and takes forever to get the results. Also make sure if they test you they do the Flu test AND the H1N1 test. Because my flu test came back negative but the H1N1 test was positive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Get yourself sick.

Seriously.

Family (including self) had the malaise and upper respiratory symptoms a couple of weeks ago.

Nothing so bad that we had to go to see anybody, but after we got better and the youngest had a well-checkup that had been scheduled months in advance, the pediatrician said it was almost certainly H1N1 since that's what's going around, so it should be assumed that we got immunity to it.

We would have no sooner put ourselves thru any of the strain testing than we would get vaccinated, which we wouldn't/don't do anyway, H1N1 or not.

While I would have rather none of us had gotten ill, it wasn't any worse than dealing with a moderate/bad cold, but we were are not unhealthy people to begin with, so I think the odds are in your favor.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Henchman
    develop your own antibodies "au naturel"
    +1

And then there are those who actually get the flu from the vaccination...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Healthy young people are dying from this. The ICU at work is full of H1N1 pateints, most on life support.
    Get the shot if you can.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim FtCO
    +1

And then there are those who actually get the flu from the vaccination...

and the chances of that happen are????

To me it is a simple question.

What is more likely I get the flu from the vaccination or get the flu from some snotty nosed kid?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If you don't have a pre-existing respiratory condition and live a healthy lifesyle you have little to worry about. The human body is designed and able to deal with infection if you are healthy. Eat right, drink water, wash your hands, and stay home if your sick, seems simple enough.

ups and downs
    Vaccines are all dead virus cultures, so you might get a seasonal flu after getting the H1N1 shot, but you wouldn't get the H1N1 flu unless you were already exposed to the H1N1 just prior to getting the vaccine. It takes about 10-14 days to build immunity from the vaccine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

This is not directed at you but in general.
    THEY ARE NOT TESTING FOR IT BECAUSE THERE IS NO REASON TO
    +]Its a mild case of the flu, they could totally botch the seasonal vaccine AGAIN and you could get a much worse strain of the regular flu.

+There is no medicine/treatment for it, everything that is done it do ward off symptoms(fever, dehydration, nvm). Tamiflu can/kinda/sorta work on the regular flu if its diagnosed and given within the first 2-3 days

+Its hitting kids hard because of the gross number of incompetent parents that cannot take care of their children properly. I.E. ignoring fevers and their treatment, letting them drink soda instead of water, failing to foresee complications with pre existing medical conditions

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by used2Bhard
    They tested my kids, who got sick two days after me, and they came up positive. I didn't go into the doctor as the chest cold never got bad enough.
    productive cough=cold
    non productive cough=flu

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    Vaccines are all dead virus cultures, so you might get a seasonal flu after getting the H1N1 shot, but you wouldn't get the H1N1 flu unless you were already exposed to the H1N1 just prior to getting the vaccine. It takes about 10-14 days to build immunity from the vaccine.
    The nasal spray is live virus

ups and downs
    They're only doing the jab in BC.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rroadie
    Healthy young people are dying from this. The ICU at work is full of H1N1 pateints, most on life support.
    Get the shot if you can.
    And the ICU is never filled with the 250,000 and 500,000 people that die of REGULAR flu.

Please unsubscribe for the alarmist attitude driving this farce

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosker
    If you don't have a pre-existing respiratory condition and live a healthy lifesyle you have little to worry about. The human body is designed and able to deal with infection if you are healthy. Eat right, drink water, wash your hands, and stay home if your sick, seems simple enough.

I am not worried about dieing from it. The chances of that happen are very remote, probably better chance of getting killed on a bike ride. But in getting immunized can mean not having to spend a couple of days on the couch then I am all over that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by used2Bhard
    My wife, 1 year old. 5 year old, and folks all got it from me.
    I bet your family, friends, neighbors, and co-workers are totally stoked that you're "not a vaccination type guy". Good for you.

mtbr member
    Geoff Kabush had it...
    Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly
    Giant Anthem
    Trek Fuel Ex 8
    Lemond Buenos Aires
    Cervelo R3
    www.fasterthansome.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast