bikerbert

Great Strength Training Podcast

If you've got the time to listen, thefitcast.com podcast is great. Killer guests, cutting edge training info and just plain entertaining as well as informative.

The biggest names in strength and conditioning world come on the show and share a ton of useful knowledge.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

bikerbert

I love the EliteFTS sled for outdoor workouts!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    How many mtbers (both pro/members on here) use strength training as a part of their training? From a triathlete stand point most triathletes don't use "real strength training." Maybe some TRX stuff but that's about it. I was just wondering if people do it and what kind of stuff you do?

bikerbert

Triathletes should definitely be lifting. All of the repetitive stress of training in one plane of motion does a number on hip/mid back mobility.

Not max lifts, but definitely single leg work focused on the glutes at least twice a week. As long as the intensity is set up to match the current training volume you should be fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinShoes View Post
    How many mtbers (both pro/members on here) use strength training as a part of their training? From a triathlete stand point most triathletes don't use "real strength training." Maybe some TRX stuff but that's about it. I was just wondering if people do it and what kind of stuff you do?
    Once every 7-14 days- strength maintenance in season - Biking 1st for me in season - a couple of basic multi- joint lifts (pull ups, rows, push up circuits, shoulder circuits etc.) core - work up to 80-85% max

I do some of these push up variations, judos, 1 leg up, pikes, etc.
    TFW "New" 4 Minute Pushup Challenge - YouTube!

Shoulder variations like this - no, not that much weight - keep shoulders healthy for crashes
    DeFrancosGym.com - Exercise Index: 3-Way "Shoulder Shocker" - YouTube

Did trap bar deadlifts on 1" blocks for legs last year in season, not this season

See "strength maintenance" phase below
    http://www.trainingbible.com/pdf/Cyc...th_Program.pdf

Core work - see'advanced' below
    Functional Core Strength for Triathletes in 10 Minutes a*Day - Posts - TrainingPeaks Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinShoes View Post
    The data shows that lifting once a week is beneficial for cycling, in season, among the highly trained cyclist used in this study.
    In-season strength maintenance training i... [Eur J Appl Physiol. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

I read the full text (which is hard to find), and it was a very well run study.

The thing I really got out of it though (and this is real important), is that the lifts were super simple and pretty traditional (4sets X 10 reps of squats was one of them). Definitely beware of people claiming their lifting method is better than others, especially if they have other motivations $$$$$$$ (like selling special equipment, TRXs for example ).
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    The data shows that lifting once a week is beneficial for cycling, in season, among the highly trained cyclist used in this study.
    In-season strength maintenance training i... [Eur J Appl Physiol. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

I read the full text (which is hard to find), and it was a very well run study.

The thing I really got out of it though (and this is real important), is that the lifts were super simple and pretty traditional (4sets X 10 reps of squats was one of them). Definitely beware of people claiming their lifting method is better than others, especially if they have other motivations $$$$$$$ (like selling special equipment, TRXs for example ).
    Ponch, does text say what % of max they used?

I am not arguing with the science, but 4 sets x 10 reps is a lot of volume. (Relatively high reps like that tend to make my hamstrings and quads sore, but that is just me)

Joe Friel recommends in season 1 set @ 60% and 1set @ 80% of max. 6-12 reps.

Joe DeFranco (football / strength trainer) recommends in season for football (yes, I realize not scientific study)
    "perform 3-week mini-cycles with the following percentages: Week 1 = 60% of 1RM for 6 sets of 2 w/ 1 minute rest between sets; Week 2 = 70% of 1RM for 5 sets of 2 w/ 1 minute rest between sets; Week 3 = work up to 3 singles w/ 80-85% of your 1RM. Rest 2-3 minutes between sets. After 3 weeks, start the cycle over. You may increase or decrease the percentages depending on how you feel."
    Westside for Skinny Bastards, Part III - DeFranco's Training

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz123 View Post
    Shoulder variations like this - no, not that much weight - keep shoulders healthy for crashes
    DeFrancosGym.com - Exercise Index: 3-Way "Shoulder Shocker" - YouTube
    These guys look like some real bike racers.

I actually do a similar workout to this about 3 times a week. I have some old shoulder injuries and keeping my upper body strong (even to the point of carrying more upper body muscle than is ideal for a bike racer) is critical for avoiding re-injury not just in the case of a bike crash, but all the other stuff I like to do.

I also do a lot of core stuff - plank variations, crunch variations, dumbbell side lifts, good old fashioned sit ups.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    These guys look like some real bike racers.

I actually do a similar workout to this about 3 times a week. I have some old shoulder injuries and keeping my upper body strong (even to the point of carrying more upper body muscle than is ideal for a bike racer) is critical for avoiding re-injury not just in the case of a bike crash, but all the other stuff I like to do.

I also do a lot of core stuff - plank variations, crunch variations, dumbbell side lifts, good old fashioned sit ups.
    I 'borrow' some of these shoulder exercises also - I try to rotate exercises every 2-3 weeks
    DieselCrew.com - Shoulder Rehab Protocol - YouTube

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Good stuff. I think I could definitely handle a 45 min or 1hr session once a week during the season and could probably bump that up during the off season. I've got a race coming up in 3 weeks so I'll look to incorporate it into my routine after that. Thanks!

bikerbert

"New Rules of Lifting" book series, that's the way to go for do it yourself training.

mtbr member
    Ponch, does text say what % of max they used?
    They are requiring payment now to read that study. All I remember is that it was nothing special. Here are the four exercises they performed:
    -half squat
    -leg press with one leg at a time
    -one-legged hip flexion
    -ankle plantar flexion

That was it. No direct corework either (those first three exercises strengthen the core, indirectly).

Here is an absolutely heated debate about weightlifting and cycling......again:
    More evidence in support of weight-training

I asked the most important question there though: Is that extra two hours a week better spent riding or lifting??

From what Sdeer said (he's a Cat 2 roadie in high academia somewhere (heavily involved in exercise science)) is that the current science is showing that the body really can't tell the difference; and as usual, more workload is better.

Like I've said before, Scottz123 training 15 hours a week will be faster than Scottz123 doing 8 hours a week.
    Last edited by Poncharelli; 06-03-2013 at 02:58 PM.
    www.utahmtb.org

bikerbert

That's the rub for most of the studies. They were done on seated machines and not in a single leg unsupported environment which imho would've made more sense. You generate power with one leg, so I'd think a program rooted in single leg training would make more sense to do.

Bulgarian split squats would be just about the perfect exercise to use in a study based on how close it is to the angle of pushing down a pedal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    All I remember is that it was nothing special. Here are the four exercises they performed:
    -half squat
    -leg press with one leg at a time
    -one-legged hip flexion
    -ankle plantar flexion

That was it.

Like I've said before, Scottz123 training 15 hours a week will be faster than Scottz123 doing 8 hours a week.
    This sounds like an off season program. Let me know how it works out for you.

No argument training 15 hours has potential to be faster than 8 hours a week of training.

In my post above.
    "Joe Friel recommends in season 1 set @ 60% and 1set @ 80% of max. 6-12 reps." - Of one multi-joint leg exercise.

I cannot see doing 4 leg exercises in season with multiple sets, unless you got the "really good stuff"

OR you are lifting weights like this guy - with my curl bar on his back!

bikerbert

Lifting in season can be done 2-3x/week if you manipulate the variables the right way. It's a great way to keep the hips open and undo time spent behind a desk and in the saddle.

If you base it more in glute work, mobility and stability, it works really well.

mtbr member
    I cannot see doing 4 leg exercises in season with multiple sets, unless you got the "really good stuff"
    In one study, the E+S group lifted two days a week pre-race season. With the lifts listed. They outperformed the E only group in most the cycling metrics.

In a follow-up study, the same team of researchers continued with the same people during race season and the E+S group lifted once a week. They continued to outperformed the E only group in the cycling metrics. With the lifts listed. From what I remember, the reps and weights were similar to the Friel format you posted (again, nothing crazy about it).

The lifts in the study show that you don't need any crazy exotic lifts or equipment. Also, the lifting overall accounted for a small % of the total weekly workout time.

Pretty cool pic of your friend doing squats there (looks like a 3/4 squat). Nice simple stuff, that's all you need.
    www.utahmtb.org

bikerbert

Was that the Hickson study?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Just curious what percentage of max they were using for 4 set x 10 reps in season.

Using percentage of max is what strength training is about.

Are you suggesting that 4 sets of 10 with 60 lbs like 'my friend' is using is sufficient?

My point being, if 100lbs is 'my friends' 1 rep max for a 3/4 squat - than 60 lbs x 10 reps would be challenging

Predicting One-rep Max | Dr. Squat - Dr. Fred Hatfield