Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

... and if we just ... Got myself a new race rig (Review and Pictures)

So I got my new bike yesterday, Trek Top Fuel 9.8. As for a review, I canít say much because it is yet to hit the trails. (I was planning on riding all day today but I woke up to rain.) The bike is an 18.5Ē frame and weighs in just shy of 23 pounds, Iím pretty happy about that. The only riding I have done on it was just taking it out around the bike shop, (not in the best part of town, some of the sidewalks are so bad they feel like mountain bike trails) and the little bit I saw impressed me. Other than the bike being so light, it rides great. The suspension is as smooth as it can be (Especially for a race bike) yet the thing feels as efficient as can be. The thing has bite like no other full suspension I have ever ridden. The XT breaks feel awesome; all the adjustments on the levers are great. The fork poplock is a nice feature too. However, something tells me those tires are going to have to go, they may be good for hardpack on race day, but I donít know if they look too trustworthy for fall and winter riding conditions. Give me a few days and I will post a full review on here, but as for now, here are some pictures. Let me know what you think!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Got myself a new race rig (Review and Pictures)-josh-bike-gear-side.jpg  

Got myself a new race rig (Review and Pictures)-josh-bike-break-side.jpg  

Got myself a new race rig (Review and Pictures)-josh-bike-gears.jpg  

Got myself a new race rig (Review and Pictures)-josh-bike.jpg  

Got myself a new race rig (Review and Pictures)-josh-bike-gear-side-front.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Nice. I see what you mean about the tires!
    UK-Biking Shop now live - Also follow us on Facebook and Twitter

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    How did you weigh it? I just built up a Sette Ace (5lb) frame with Sram X.0, tubless tires, and lots of carbon, and I could only get the weight down to 27.3 pounds. I used a hanging digital scale at the local Performance Bike shop. The angle of your seat makes my balls hurt just looking at it, nice ride.

mtbr member
    I know I need to get that fixed. Itís actually not horrible but it could be better.
    And as for the weight, I'm not too sure how accurate that 23 pounds is. I weighed it before I put the pedals on and the scale at my bike shop looks like it is 20 years old.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RamRider
    I was planning on riding all day today but I woke up to rain!
    If we stayed at home whenever it rained here in Ireland we would never get out on our bikes!

Really nice bike!!

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by ty1967
    How did you weigh it? I just built up a Sette Ace (5lb) frame with Sram X.0, tubless tires, and lots of carbon, and I could only get the weight down to 27.3 pounds. I used a hanging digital scale at the local Performance Bike shop. The angle of your seat makes my balls hurt just looking at it, nice ride.
    Heavy wheels and tubeless tires will do that to a bike.

My Anthem X weighs 24.5 running relatively heavy wheels (Mavic 819/DT 340 front, Mavic 317/WTB LaserDisc Lite rear), and a full XT group.

I'll be going 1x9 this winter, and 1x10 in the spring, and that should see me well under 24lbs without the race wheels.

mtbr member

Review.... Finally

Ok guys, so first I would like to say I'm sorry about the HUGE delay in getting this review posted. Shortly after getting the bike I was fighting the weather and lately I have been fighting my POS computer (getting a Mac in a week or two ) At least these computer problems have given me a chance to ride the bike a lot and give you guys as accurate of a review as I can......

First a few small mechanical issues (don't bother reading these if your not considering getting the bike)......
    1) Make sure when the bike is put together the cables around the seat tube area are routed properly, mine were not at first, and them rubbing on my leg was not the most pleasant thing ever, It is an easy mistake for you (or your bike shop) to make though, they really are routed in a pretty strange way.
    2) The Bontrager XXX Seatpoast calls for 16 Nm max torque to bind the seat rails into it. If you put the "proper" amount of torque on it, it will work it's way loose, don't hesitate to crank it down a little bit tighter than the recommended.

So My bike now......
    It is pretty well completly stock, I threw some Eggbeaters on it for pedals (best pedals out there if you ask me) but you could have seen those in the pictures I posted anyway. I also changed out the tires, I put some WTB Wolverine 2.2's on it, with the thinner, racing sidewalls, and I am running tubes. I am very happy with these tires, they are a great blend of rolling efficiency and traction (even in leaves and semi-wet conditions.) The stock Bontrager's are going to go back on come summer race season though.

And to all these stock parts......
    Frame: Wow. Stiff, efficient, light, fast as hell. This thing climbs like a billygoat and descends like a bat out of hell. I like the paint job also, even though it is somewhat plain. The no-cut seat mast is definitely something different. I liked the ability to lower my seat to jump and such, but I know I shouldn't be doing any of that on this bike anyway, so It is a good inhibitor in some ways I suppose. I do think it helps with weight and lateral stiffness, I have never ridden a full suspension frame that feels like it is working with me as well as this one.
    Fork: I like it also, it is not the lightest thing ever, but I like how it handles better than the sid forks. I think it feels better and I like how the fork legs flair forward a little bit, which, in my opinion, helps with handling. The lockout works great too, I need to get used to using it more.
    Wheels: Somewhat light, hubs are great, they spin forever. Rear cassette makes a lot of noise though, not a big deal at all. Other than that, they haven't bent or anything, seem to stay true pretty well (but I would hope so with how short of time I have had the bike) and they look nice also.
    Breaks: Stop well, have a lot of adjustments on the lever to get them feeling just right for you. I am very happy with the breaks so far.
    Shifting: We all know this part, full XT, shifting is crisp, but (call me crazy) I'm not a huge fan of the shifters. I prefer the feel of Sram X-9, X-0, and even Shimano SLX. It might just be something that feels new to me though, and I'm sure I will adjust, I am not planning on switching shifters or anything like that.
    Other than that: I like the lock-on grips, I think they are well worth the little bit of extra weight. Handelbars are RaceFace (don't really "fit in" with all the Bonty stuff) but they look nice and are very light, so what do I care. Seat is, well, questionable. I am going give it a few more rides and if I don't start adjusting I am thinking something along the lines of a WTB Silverado.

If you have any other questions hit me up.

But bottom line is this is a great bike. I see where people come from that say that a near-$5000 bike should be speced out a little better than full XT, but the frame and fork (which are what really matter) are what you are paying for, and I am very happy with my new bike. If I could go back and do it again I would not change a thing.

By the way, thanks for your time reading all of this, sorry, I know It's pretty long.

mtbr member
    You should angle your saddle up a little more....

(sarcasm intended)
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

Ibexbiker
    Apr 2006
    Nice Bike!! Did the bike come with an ice block to sit on after your first ride? That saddle angle is a ball buster. Flatten that thing out.

breaks?

i'm pretty sure that 4th picture would look less gay if you were wearing a borat-style bikini.

congrats on the new bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nomit
    breaks?

i'm pretty sure that 4th picture would look less gay if you were wearing a borat-style bikini.

congrats on the new bike.
    I wasn't going to say anything, but since you mentioned it his name is "RamRider" and his saddle points straight up!
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Thanks for the review - this bike is on my list. One more comment on that seat angle... But more - I'm assuming you haven't been fitted (no shop would set a seat like that) on the bike. For what you paid for it - you should expect a full fit session at the shop. If they don't do these, pay another shop to do it. Unless of course, you've been through this drill and know your fit numbers and have simply transferred them. In that case, put a damn level on that seat!

Thanks again for the review.

mtbr member
    Ok, so enough on the seat, I know that in those pictures the nose is way high, but that is just because I had heard that you needed more than the recommended amount of torque on the seat binder (which proved to be very true) and I was still in the process of tinkering with it when those pictures were taken. IT IS LEVEL NOW, IS IT REALLY THAT HIGE A DEAL THAT IT WASNíT LEVEL THEN?

Anyway, I happen to like that shirt, my GIRLFRIEND actually happened to get it for me, so If I look gay than I guess thats how she wants me to look, and thatís just dandy with me.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RamRider
    Anyway, I happen to like that shirt, my GIRLFRIEND actually happened to get it for me, so If I look gay than I guess thats how she wants me to look, and thatís just dandy with me.

You know the only reason she bought you the shirt was so you would look gay and wouldn't be hit on by other women.

shirt wouldn't be a problem on its own....but tucked into skin tight jeens, with a jonas brothers haircut.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    shirt wouldn't be a problem on its own....but tucked into skin tight jeens, with a jonas brothers haircut.
    I think knowing, what the Jonas brothers haircut looks like if you are not a 12 year old female, is more gay.

mtbr member
    Well, I happen to also like my ďJonas Brothers haircut,Ē whatever that may be, I guess itís what I have but I apologize for not knowing or spending countless hours a day studying the appearance of young teen idolís appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by ::DYSLEXIC::
    I think knowing, what the Jonas brothers haircut looks like if you are not a 12 year old female, is more gay.
    its not difficult to get suckered into watching that crap on disney channel when you're in charge of an 11 year old & a 5 year old for a bit.

i know the theme song to hannah montana by heart too.

mtbr member
    its not difficult to get suckered into watching that crap on disney channel when you're in charge of an 11 year old & a 5 year old for a bit.

i know the theme song to hannah montana by heart too.

I hear it's only gay if you don't like it.

you get the limo out front (din-dun-duh)
    hottest styles every shoe every color
    yea when you're famous it can be kinda fun
    its really you but no one ever discovers

mtbr member
    May 2006
    It's only gay if another guy catches you in the act.......

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Give the kid a break.. Just stoked about his new bike, remember the guys are just havin fun as well, and thanks for the ride report.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Great looking bike. I just bought a 04 salsa caballero with some custom touches. My first entry into a FS XC after 16 yrs on HT for AM riding (last 11 on my schwinn HG).

A great way to learn about a high quality bike is certainly a good way (without making the expensive investment and just reading and just relying on the company's opinion.

Going to race in a New Enland circuit next year and not sure what will be best. I might end up using both during the season. Seems like a lot of FS xc racing bikes now. For you racers, are you seeing more FSs than HTs at the races?

Thanks for the report.
    Last edited by 1998 schwinn; 11-24-2009 at 10:32 AM.

mtbr member
    another reason never to post any pictures of yourself online - specially here. OK, you do look a little fem.

mtbr member
    First, fashion tips...

"its not difficult to get suckered into watching that crap on disney channel when you're in charge of an 11 year old & a 5 year old for a bit."

Second, scrutinizing the Jonas brothers hair-dos, WHILE "enjoying the company" of 11 and 5 year old boys.

Hey Pot, my name is Kettle, and I don't really appreciate you calling me black...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast