mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Good work-out for my 1.5 hour after work ride.

Alright folks. I am a sport class rider who will likely get the boot to Expert next year (not a whole lot of training, just a good endurance athlete). For now I am kind of in a "burn out" stage of the racing season. Hurt my shoulder (long thoracic nerve palsy...wtf), haven't really bounced back or found the motivation since my shoulder is a piece of crap. I am basically down to 2 days a week of training, the rest rehab stuff.

I have 1.5-2 hours after work that I have been using to hammer out some interval work-outs on a local double track trail. I usually get 1 technical but slow ride with friends in on the weekend. My current work-out is basically 20 min hardish warm up, 4min on 4min off 90% max HR intervals, 25 min cool down.

So how would you maximise this 1.5-2 hours? Is this work-out benefiting me? I feel strong, but with just a few days a week to train I need to get as strong as possible.

Any pointers? Shorter intervals for one of the work-outs?
    Stop....Heckler time.

WIRVNTANASHRSH?
    Kind of hard to say without knowing more. Do you have access to a way to measure your avg power over durations? With limited time you really need to understand your weakness and devote limited time to improving those.

Read this http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articl...profiling.aspx, do the tests and see where you stand. You may be surprised. I would have thought I had good 1min power and avg 20min, but it was actually the opposite, so I've done more 1min interval work and won last 2 races.

Maybe consider doing some riding on the road. should be easier on the shoulder and is generally much better for structured interval work. Good luck. see ya in cat 1!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have no way to measure my power at my hands right now. I need to look around, but as for now I just have my legs, my bike, my HR monitor, and a bit of time.

I will have to look into it more. All of this fancy training stuff is beyond me. I know how to push my body, I just haven't figured out the best way to do so.
    Stop....Heckler time.

WIRVNTANASHRSH?
    if you are already feeling burned out, digging into complicated training routines/testing is probably not the smart thing to do right now. But if you want to get faster and have limited time, you have no choice but to be very smart about how you do it. Hence the need for some fancy training stuff. Just watch it, some people like structure and some people don't. If riding starts to become like work and yet you aren't getting paid, it's time to re-evaluate what you are doing and why you are doing it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Not enough info.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by climr View Post
    Read this http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articl...profiling.aspx, do the tests and see where you stand.
    The categories on that chart are not going to indicate a relative weakness with regards to endurance mountain biking. The 5 second value on the chart is relative to world class/olympic level match sprinters. The 1 minute relative to world record level performances in the kilo. The 5 minute value is relative to the individual pursuit, etc. You could be a "cat 5" in the 5 sec and 1 minute values on that chart and still be winning the pro field at your local XC races. Julien Absalon and Nino Shurter wouldn't stand a chance against Chris Hoy at the track, that doesn't mean their maximal 5 second power is a weakness in their target events.

WIRVNTANASHRSH?
    They will indicate relative weakness of your own body. It's up to you to decide if you need to improve those weaknesses based on the type of racing you do. I think everyone understands that 5s is of little use to XC mtn biking. I do however think 1 min is of use for XC (not sure what you mean by endurance, but by XC I mean a ~2.5 hr race). And I do think understanding your natural or trained profile (all rounder, sprinter, time trialist, etc.) is important for structuring your training, understanding your body and even picking events for maximum success if you are into that sort of thing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The best think I have ever done to become better and more fit for a race, was to start riding with other people with the same goals.